Meticulous May - 500 words/day, all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
(Nobody panic, but it's May already.)

This thread is for word count/daily writing/editing posts. General chat belongs in Life of Crime and Chocolate.

How was your April? Did you meet your goals? Did new goals distract you from old ones? Celebrations? Unanticipated challenges?

What are your May goals?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My April goals were deliberately fuzzy, but I still feel like I've fallen behind. I got editing notes on Book 2 on the 7th, took some time to think and discuss, and have begun actual edits. I've still got a horrible July deadline, but I have recruited some people to eviscerate some bits of it for me, so that will help.

May goals: Finish Part 1 edits, and get through the rewrite of Part 2. If I can do that, I may actually make July.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Good luck Liz! You can do it.

Over the past couple days I've focused on a screenplay but today I'm back on my revisions, query and synopsis for PARADOX. Loads of words on the screenplay, maybe 200 new ones for the book.

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
April was pretty good, considering I only got started towards the end of the month.

For May my goal is to make substantial progress on the first draft of the novel I'm working on. I hope to write every day or most days.

It's been two slow days but I've gotten something. Today I made the 500 words a day mark too, with 549 words.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
osg, I'm working on the time-space manipulation thing, but so far it's still stuck going one way.

Edited a chapter tonight. Things keep getting longer. It may turn into wholesale axing of plot points eventually; but right now I'll assume some judicious editing will bring it back in line. Except I'm editing now, and...never mind. It will work. OF COURSE IT WILL WORK. Argh.

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
Have had a nice last few hours with a good flow, and the day is still young, but I've decided to stop for today. I need to relax a bit on a Sunday too, before next week -- writing is hard work too :eek:

Checking in with 569 words today.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The past day went very well. I revised a chapter and began work on my synopsis. I must say I had never seen Jane Friedman's page on it and was quite impressed. I feel empowered by it. Probably 300 new words. Best to you all!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Word count for today is 192 words which considering I'm getting (veeeery slowly) back into the swing of things I will absolutely take.

My goals for May are pretty much getting back into this WIP which I may or may not have (I have) completely reworked the plot so with the exception of a few scenes, I'm starting afresh. But I'm really digging this new plot so it's all good :D

Happy writing everyone!

p.s. how is it May? Where have January, February, March and April gone????? :e2shrug:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
May? Wut?

I did very well in April. Got my book Grave Touched released and started promo. Had a snafu with the paperback cover, so that's in limbo until I get my third proof.

Goals for May? Take a break. Keep soliciting reviews. Write part 2 of my free serial. Maybe poke at some languishing projects. Think about book 3.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Wow, what an excellent start, everyone! Saoirse, you deserve a nice, long break to relax and enjoy your book launch. :)

I added 423 words tonight, and got to the end of Part 1 edits. I'm going to read it through tomorrow and ship it off to my long-suffering beta readers. And then...the elusive Part 2!

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
What great efforts you all have made! :Thumbs: Keep going!

Just a small paragraph yesterday (but I said I wanted to write most days). And 502 words today.
All in all close to 11 000 words now in my manuscript (first draft) and still excited about it.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats everyone. Ms Dash, that's a great count.

I was going to post about having a really bad day and gettingnothing accomplished... butthen I finally got a half hour alone. A scene edit and 300 words.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent, MsDashwood and wonder!

I love this book, but tonight I wish someone else would write it for me. No words, but I did get the first part out to my betas.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Hi, all--

Getting a late start for May. Malice Domestic went well. Great conference. Still recovering.

My goal for the month is to finish the first draft of the WIP, a daunting goal considering I haven't written a thing so far this month. Plan on hitting the laptop again tomorrow.

Bad news on it, though. My current publisher passed on the new series. My agent is still sure, however, that she can sell it, so it's going out on sub to others today.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good luck, BFloGal. I'm sure you will find a home for it. My own publisher is "going dormant" and returning everyone's rights later this summer—just as I'm finally well enough to finish PARADOX. And they were very good to me. Nothing's perfect but it is scary to submit again. I know how you feel.

I'm revising and filling in a few gaps, 3 chapters finished. Maybe gained 100 words.

Lucie

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Ugh, Lucie. Sorry about your publisher. May you find a home even better.

1230 words today, wondering why we do this to ourselves.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
BfloGal and wonder, sorry to hear about your news and wishing you much luck with future prospects!

I will write this weekend. Shame me if I don't. (Seriously.)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I did write, at about 24,600 now, which is pretty good considering I have no idea what comes next. I thought I'd gotten past this "write without much sense of plot" approach. Not with this book. I'm not really appreciating this much seat-of-the-pantsing. Probably I should do something about that, but sitting down to think things through feels weird. Like AW today. (Which looks all wrong.)

Where's my chocolate?

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I did write, at about 24,600 now, which is pretty good considering I have no idea what comes next. I thought I'd gotten past this "write without much sense of plot" approach. Not with this book. I'm not really appreciating this much seat-of-the-pantsing. Probably I should do something about that, but sitting down to think things through feels weird. Like AW today. (Which looks all wrong.)

Where's my chocolate?

Here you go:
image1-e1431366473253.jpg

And I revised another chapter over the weekend. Have a great day, Lucie

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
...wah..? uh... did I enter the right door? :Huh:

Didn't get any writing done the last days of last week, since I was at a conference for work.
But did get 1293 words on Saturday, and 614 yesterday.
Had to stay late at work today, so no head for writing tonight :e2drown:

Hopefully there will be some tomorrow.

Happy writing!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the chocolate, Lucie!

Well done on the words, MsDashwood.