The Line of the Day--NO CRITTING

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Love it, IAM!

Haven't had anything post worthy in a few days, but just wrote this. This is in the killers POV. (Odd how most of the best lines are.)

WARNING: CREEP FACTOR 1O

She was no different than any of the others, yet the entity wanted him to do more with her. He stared down at her sleek soft body as she fought against the tape, her hazel green eyes wide with fear, and shivered in ecstasy. He brushed his hand along her thigh and she strained to pull away from him, her scream muffled by the duct take over her mouth.

Last edited:

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Bringing this thread back to the top with a new LOD. Just wrote this, in the killers POV. He has just dumped a "fresh" one in a park, meant to be found.

He leaned forward on the sofa, his full attention on the television and the tall man standing with a group of reporters, all wanting to know about the latest victim of the Riverwalk killer. He smiled to himself and felt the entity smile too. They had confused him, they could see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice. Now he would be too busy to interrupt their other plan, now it would be open season on Lisa Marie Jessup.

Flipper_Dipper

Registered
Reaction score
It's been ages since I posted here or actually managed to do some writing, for one reason or another. Found this line I'd written in the drafts of my phone though and I really like the idea behind it. It might need reworded a bit in future. Trying to get myself inspired again before I get too busy with exams and my dissertation.

"We spend our lives seeing the darkness in others, but without the darkness we can't see the light."

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
[FONT=&quot]I have two favorites from my debut novel, JAMES 516:

"You’d better think long and hard about what you do next. When the earth opens up, you don’t want to be standing on the wrong side of the crack.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] -[/FONT]Police Sniper London Carter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Being a captain around here is more dangerous than tongue kissing a cobra.” -[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Detective Melvin Ford[/FONT]

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Great lines, everyone! Love this thread.

Doing some editing and making revisions on my Kelli Storm series before I ship them off to the publisher, and they get hacked apart. Working on Storm Warning now and came across this scene. Kelli is supposed to be meeting an NYPD Narcotics detective, and ex-boyfriend in Central Park. They are on a Joint Task Force together and things aren't going too well. Oh, and she is back with her ex-husband.

Friday December 4th, 12:10 A.M. Manhattan
Central Park – The Pond

Kelli didn’t understand why Dan would text her, especially since he disliked it so much, and yet he had and asked her to meet him here. She managed to ditch her protection detail by slipping out the rear of the apartment building, knowing that if the lieutenant found out he would have her ass.

As she approached the bridge at the north end of The Pond, she looked around for Dan. She glanced at her watch and scanned the area again. His message said to meet him here at twelve-fifteen. Funny, he’s usually the one that’s early. She continued to the middle of the bridge and scanned the area on the other side.

There weren’t a lot of people in this part of the park, which seemed unusual to her, considering that the weather was mild for December. There was still no sign of Dan, so she decided to wait for him at one of the benches. As she started to turn, something slammed into her chest and she was thrown backwards, landing against the stone railing of the bridge.

She slumped to the ground, and as her vision began to blur, her only thought was of Kevin, and how pissed he was going to be that she had gotten herself killed.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Still my favorite thread on AW. :)

This is a thinglet I wrote tonight - a snippet of some dialogue, not from any particular WIP.

"I miss her, is all. That’s stupid, isn’t it? It’s not like she’s ever been that kind of a mom, who listens and advises and makes me cocoa when I’ve had a bad day."

"She does make you cocoa."

"You make me cocoa."

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Love it, Liz. :D

Finished edits and revisions on Deadly Storm, at least on my end, and shipped off to the editor. Now working on Eye of the Storm. Came across this and it's one of my favorites from this book.

Kelli and Eric are meeting with the M.E.

Sorry, but for some reason I can't get the spacing to stay in when I post. ?

Roberto Rodriguez knew less than his wife did. He told them that as soon as he got home, around one-thirty; he had taken a shower and gone straight to bed. Kelli could see that he was lying but didn’t press the issue.​
The mixed odors of death and antiseptic struck her as she pushed through the double doors into the autopsy room. Jack Hastings was sitting at his desk and turned as she and Eric entered. “What’s with all the secrecy, Jack?”​
Jack stood and picked up an evidence bag containing a blood stained piece of paper. “I pulled this out of her throat and I thought it best not to say anything over the phone,” he said and held it out to her.​

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
^^ Eeek, Ken. And Kelly getting slammed at that park. . .yikes!

lizmonster, that was a sweet little snippet. I hope you find a place for it.

From Diary of a Soulless Boy:

My first meeting with Eric was predicated on truculence and intimidation. Eric was the ideal foil: strange kid, young, small, a loner. The perfect stepping stone to clamor over and piss upon but I intended to do far worse than that; anything to solidify my standing as leader of our mean-spirited little gang.

But Eric fought back, fiercely and valiantly. Had he not, he could have been seriously injured. In truth, I’m glad we didn’t hurt the kid. I didn’t want to hurt him. I was just swinging my dick, playing my role of bad ass to the hilt.

Last edited:

Flipper_Dipper

Registered
Reaction score
Two new favorite lines from some semi-successful writing sessions, although they are similar they are from completely unrelated scenes ha.

"I’m sorry, I should have been here…I promised I’d save you."
"You loved me, it was enough."

"In what I thought were the final moments of my life, all I could think about was you.”

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
While fiddling endlessly with my polo mystery, I started another novel about a spoiled divorcee saving her farming family from a ruthless land developer. Still in the "set up" stage, but I'm starting to like the characters. In this scene, the MC is in a bar with her brother, and a neighboring farmer hadn't shown up at his usual booth.

The empty corner was a vacuum, sucking the energy from the room. Everyone seemed quieter, as if joy wasn't allowed anymore. "I'll look in on Alphie in the morning," I said.

"Anything to get out of chores," Josh responded with a laugh.

Monty looked up from his drink and made eye contact with me before I could look away. He smiled, stood, and started the long trek around the horseshoe-shaped bar. As he passed the server, he brushed a hand against her ass. She jumped, startled, and gave him a withering glare.

I sat up straight. Be nice. Be nice. Be civil.

With a crooked grin, Monty settled on the unfortunately empty stool beside me. "Heard you shot your dad last night, Franny."

"It was a case of mistaken identity," I shot back. "I thought it was you."

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Looking back over last time's writing I found I actually didn't hate this bit of dialogue. ("Santa" is an old Chinese man with a long white beard. Lydia doesn't know his real name so thinks of him as Santa.)

"You are not the same girl I met in that alley," Santa said. "What has changed?"

Lydia gripped the enamelled handrail and started up the stairs. "The chance for revenge."

"Old Greek saying: before setting out for revenge, first dig two graves."

"Aren't there any Chinese proverbs about revenge?"

"Dozens. I have forgotten them all. But I remember that one from a film. I liked the way it sounded."

"Yeah, well they say plenty of things in films that sound good."

"Perhaps this one is true."

She paused, nearly at the first floor. "I'm pretty sure I've died at least twice. I'm not sure what good a grave would do me at this point."

Santa carried on past her to the upper floors. "If that is so, I am glad I am with you, not against you."

"Then you are with me?"

"At least until we get off these stairs. If there are heavenly concubines up there you're on your own."

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
From a WIP;

"She didn't die here, she was dumped. There are some subtle drag marks over here. And the angle of that needle in her arm, well, she didn't put it there. Its not even in a vein."
"OK. So why is she dead?"

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
Fair warning. This one's a little dark - Dmitri the villain, finding fun ways to hurt Artemis (my MC).

"Have you ever pulled a soul from the void and returned it to flesh, Artemis?" Dmitri asked, dragging the blade across the whetstone as he stared at me. "There's a kind of raw, bestial power to it, knowing that not even the dead are beyond your reach."

And then there was this gem, a little bit of banter between Artemis and Detective Avery Schumer.

I looked up at her and frowned apologetically. “Sorry,” I said. “I sometimes…” I let the sentence trail as I met her eyes. They lacked the shrewd coldness from before and were somehow softer, more like fresh-fallen snow than ice. I cleared my throat and looked away, back to the sterile white, tiled floor. “I sometimes slip into the past. Perfect memory has its drawbacks. Call it solipsism.”
“Solipsism?” Detective Schumer asked.
I nodded. “A narcissistic obsession with one’s own feelings, desires, and personal history. I don’t always have a choice in the matter. There are triggers – sounds, smells, words. The definition isn’t perfect, it’s just the closest. Like I said, I can recall any moment in my life with perfect clarity. It’s… easy to get lost.”
I sat in silence as she digested the information. “So…” she finally spoke, “you can remember everything that’s ever happened in your entire life?”
“Mostly,” I acknowledged. “Everything before five is a little fuzzy, but after that, it’s everything.”
“The bad memories, too?” she asked softly.
I rubbed the brand on my forearm absently through my thermal. “Yes.”
She pointed to the spot. “I didn’t want to ask yesterday, but I saw the scar on your arm,” she said. I couldn’t help the slight smile that curled the corners of my mouth. How she had ended up partnered with a complete dunce like O’Leary was beyond me.
“That memory is off-limits, Detective,” I replied. “Even to me.”

Last edited:

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I did last night, finding myself in a bout of insomnia. It's my MC's first visit to a fresh crime scene, and it's almost more than he can handle...

WARNING: Graphic content to follow below.

I returned to the blood trail following it into the bathroom. The scene inside made my stomach churn.

Dark red blood spattered the glass shower door and the overripe-banana tiled walls behind it. The shower had been left running, the flow slow and weak, and I reached in, turning it off. I stepped back and inhaled deeply, the sharp, metallic smell hitting my nostrils all too strongly. I hunched over the toilet and wretched.

“Artemis,” Schumer called, poking her head into the bathroom. “You all right?”

I nodded, wiping my mouth the sleeve of my trench as I flushed. “I’ve never…” my stomach turned again as I stared at the bloody shower, horrified.

Schumer wrapped an arm around my shoulder, steering me away from the gruesome sight and back into the studio. “Dr. Munroe wanted to point out a few other things,” she said, her voice soft and gentle. “Are you going to be okay?”

I stared at my shoes and took a deep breath, trying to wipe the image of all the blood – Abbey’s blood – from my memory. Like all my memories, it refused to leave. “I’ll be fine, Schumer,” I said, as confidently as I could manage. I met her eyes. “Thank you.”

Last edited:

M. Frebronze

Bon Vivant
Registered
Reaction score
.... Darn it, okay, I gotta do one more. From Chapter 6 of my WIP, when my MC brings a piece of evidence he took from a crime scene to a local (vampire) pawnbroker....

Trigger Warning, Just in Case.

I retrieved the lapel pin from Abbey’s crime scene and dropped it on the counter. He scrutinized over it for several long minutes, even biting into it at one point to check the weight and authenticity of the metal. “It’s real. The stones as well,” he gestured to the tiny inlays, the small gems inside a shimmering chartreuse-aqua color. “This isn’t one of your normal pieces. Where did you happen upon it, if you don’t mind me prying?”

“I found it at a friend’s apartment,” I replied. I am phenomenal at telling half-truths. “I was hoping you could tell me where it’s from. It’s… not her style.”

“Hm, I see,” He lifted the pin, holding underneath the light to get a better look. “It’s certainly worth the work. I’d estimate its value between sixty-five and seventy hundred dollars.”

I let out a low whistle. I knew it was worth several thousand pounds, but I didn’t imagine it had been that much. “Can you find out where it came from?” I pressed.

“Something like this…” He looked over the gems closer. “I’d expect eastern Europe, probably somewhere in Turkey or Hungary. Possibly as far west as Italy,” He glanced at me. “Artemis, did it occur to you that this pin appears to match the size and shape of the brand on your forearm?”

I nodded, rubbing the spot through my coat. “Yes. It’s not the same one,” I lied.

“Indeed.” He set the pin on the counter. “Give me three or four days, and I’ll see what I can dig up. Now on to the matter of payment –” I sighed, and began to lift my sleeve. He stopped me, setting his icy hand gently on mine. “I will find this information for you. Gratis.”

I met his eyes. This was unusual for Alek – he always got his payment in some form or another.

Can I just say... I love writing super-swanky vampires like Alek. It's fun to mix sociopath with class.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Some powerful stuff, M. I missed this thread. I've been busy these past few months editing the first 3 Kelli Storm novels for my publisher, and still have edits to do on book 4. Just waiting on my editor to get them back to me. While I have a lull, I got back to work on my psychological thriller, The Riverwalk Murders. At first it wasn't easy to get back into the killer's head, but oddly enough, once I did, the sickness flowed.

From the killer's POV.

WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT

She was no different than any of the others, yet the entity wanted him to do more with her. He stared down at her sleek soft body as she fought against the tape, her beautiful green eyes wide with fear, and he shivered in ecstasy. He brushed his hand along her upper inner thigh and she strained to pull away from him, her screams muffled by the duct tape over her mouth.

He caressed her tear stained cheek with his left hand as he picked up the straight razor with his right, lifting it for her to see, drinking in her fear. The cold steel glistened as he pressed it against her throat, his breathing ragged with excitement. She was sobbing now, her eyes closed tight, tears trailing down her cheeks. The entity nudged him and he pressed harder, slicing into her throat and silencing her cries.

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Another snippet from The Riverwalk Murders in the killer's POV

Warning! Graphic Content!

As he gazed down at his latest prize, a bolt of pain shot through his head and he dropped the razor. The entity wanted this game to end, and it was tired of waiting for him to finish what it wanted him to do. He dropped to his knees as his skull throbbed from the entity’s anger, waiting for the pain to subside. It stopped as suddenly as it had started and he sighed in relief as he picked the razor up. He knew that he had to finish, his fun was over and it was time to get back to doing what the entity wanted. It was time to go after Jessup’s daughter.

He stood up, the razor in his right hand and stared down at the beautiful red headed coed. She had told him her name, yet he could not recall it, not that it mattered. The cold steel glimmered as he pressed it into her throat and drew it across from left to right, blood glistening on the blade as it sliced, spraying his face shield and covering the walls with a grotesque red art.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Opening line from a WIP.

When he was a boy, Ansel feared the ocean. Rivers and lakes were familiar to him, but the ocean had it's own rules. Would the waves knock him over? Would the undertow pull him out to sea? Would anyone notice he needed help? If he drowned, would they be able to resuscitate him? Now that breathing was no longer an issue, he loved the ocean.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
Dialogue between a police detective and the mother of a rape victim who later kills herself...

"Several people are dead and there's a trail of circumstantial evidence a mile wide that leads back to you. Most of those alleged to have raped your daughter are among the dead. That gives you one hell of a motive."
"What that gives me is a reason to not feel sorry for them." The disgust filling Mary spilled out in the venom she spat. "What that gives me is reason to think my daughter may get to be at peace after all."

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I could write this character all day long.

Tsang's mobile was number four on her speed dial, after her mum and her favourite takeout, though she wasn't ever going to let her mother know she came second to a pork bun.