Background required to write thrillers?

JB Hare

Registered
Reaction score
Lee Child seems to do OK. So does David Morrell (Rambo!) Tom Clancy was an insurance agent.

http://www.thecreativepenn.com/2014/07/04/thrillers-david-morrell/

What thriller writers seem to have in common is a desire and ability to research. But even that isn't strictly necessary. Just write the story within your ability. If it thrills, it's a thriller.

I certainly hope so. I would describe my WIP as basically action/adventure, but the protagonist works for a fictional armed division of ECHELON....thus the connection with espionage/thriller. I have no military or law enforcement background, just stories from my Dad, a USAF Vietnam vet. I just have a BA in English, worked for an aluminum company as a clerk, and taught bilingual education in a public school district for twelve years. The worst problem I've had with my writing is researching how pilots operate the Antonov An-225. Experience can help with some things. The bum around Europe thing I did after college gave me some ideas for some locales, but I think imagination trumps all.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Stephen Hunter has never been a sniper, but he's written some convincing sniper novels. CJ Box, who happens to be my current favorite mystery/suspense/thriller writer, writes some great crime fiction and he's never been a cop.

They say we should write what we know. Well, you know college life, so write a thriller in a college setting and fill in the blanks with research. If you need help with police procedural issues, gun information, or self-defense techniques for fight scenes, check out my blog for writers called Righting Crime Fiction. It's in the early stages, but I've covered a lot about guns so far and am working on interviews at the moment.

Best of luck to you.

RW Andrews

RW Andrews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rwandrews58.wix.com
Having just finished my 1st in a series of Action/Thrillers that delve into police work as part of the story plot. I used much of the info learned from reading other Authors and garnered a boat load of ideas from watching shows like Law & Order, NCIS, etc.

Research is the key along with keeping an open mind and incorporating your own imagination into scenes or plots. Think out side the box do not be afraid to explore ideas or use a new twist on an old idea you read or saw on TV.

Someone told me years ago I should write what I know about. I have learned since then it is much better to learn what I write about!

Hope that helps! http://rwandrews58.wix.com/author-rw-andrews

Poblins

Registered
Reaction score
Write the story you have in your head without worrying about the procedurals. If the story works, with a good plot and characters, you can always then put in some time to research if you've got things right and then revise to get the details correct during your first and subsequent revisions. If it's written well, your readers will be quite forgiving if you get the occasional thing wrong. There is always some suspension of disbelief in fiction which you can exploit! Write - and enjoy writing!