Mellisonant March - 500 words/day, all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
WHAT HAPPENED TO FEBRUARY??

This thread is for word count/daily writing/editing posts. General chat belongs in Life of Crime and Chocolate.

How was your February? Did you meet your goals? Suffer from the short month? Take 28 days as a challenge?

What are your March goals?

Here we go! :e2cheer:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'd like to write some words in March. That would be nice.

Sending :e2cheer: and :whip: whenever you need them. :)

I accomplished my February goals. I also nearly pulled the rest of my life onto my head after them. I need better time management skills.

This month: My agent read the draft, and mysteriously seems to think I might be able to make it work, so there will be revisions this month. (I think I have through June to get it in shape for the editor, but I may be off by a month one way or the other on that.) I am also expecting to get notes on Book One at some point, so I will be revising two at once. Yay?

So perhaps my March goals will be to a) not fall behind; and b) not go insane. :D

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to write some words in March. That would be nice.

Yeah, me too...

Although if March goes on like February I'm not optimistic. What is it with this year anyway?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll play. I didn't make as much progress in February as I would have liked. In March I will: finish revising a book.

There. One thing. How hard can it be?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I did fairly well with February. Finished the revision a week early and dove into proofreading only to have a zillion things working against me - anxiety, work insanity, eye pain problems, family drama...just everything. :( So I'm a bit late on my deadline which sucks but my editor is okay with it.

This month...no clue. Resting for sure. Maybe jump back into my novella again once I turn in the MS.

Last edited:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Well, hard to say how I did in February since my goals keep changing. Grrr.

Goals for this month? Finish the proposal I'm now working on. Then, I'm not sure what. Probably just keep working on it, hoping a publisher bites.

Although I could get copy edits any time now.

Oh, and new words yesterday: 828.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I got my Official Editing Notes on Book One today. Overall, I am relieved - they seem reasonable, and perhaps even doable by deadline (March 27).

Except for this one OH HELL NO WHAT KIND OF BOOK DO YOU THINK I'M WRITING HERE??? suggestion. So we'll see how my reaction to that goes over. :)

Excellent start to the month, everyone! :e2cheer:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Happy editing, Liz

Managed 1877 words yesterday. I expect that some of them need to go, but I guess I needed to explore these new characters a bit.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Good luck with the edits, Liz. Good words, Bflo :)

I am currently trying to resist the urge to tinker with stuff that's already as good as it's going to get. Except if I make these tweaks, of course. Then it will be as good as it can get. Obviously.

Sara K.

Registered
Reaction score
Decided to join this month. I'm working on a few short stories, and really need to get them roughly drafted.

I've finished my quota today, if I include editing. I just have no idea where one of my stories is going...and it needs to end soon. It's just become a bit of a monster that has gotten out of hand. I've never experienced this before, where I've completely lost control of the reigns.

Good luck Liz, with the editing, and to everyone else for March :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Liz, just one thing? That's pretty good. You can convince them of how wrong they were to suggest that one thing.

One new scene written, which will replace at least two old scenes. The newer model is more compact, shinier, and packs a stronger punch.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: Welcome, SaraK! Sometimes the out of control ones turn out to be the best.

Sorry about the migraine, BfloGal. Not helpful at all. :(

osg, tinkering is endless. As you know. :D

Yay for new shininess, Namatu! :hooray:

Thinking of you, Saoirse, and hoping you are celebrating victory even as I write this. :)

Wrote to my editors today and said (basically) "I love all these changes! Except this one thing. How about I do this instead of that?" And they said "Yeah, okay." So there is work to be done, but at least we all agree on what it is. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get much done tonight, because we had to take a kitty to the ER. She is still uncomfortable, but is on medication now, so hopefully she'll be able to settle for the night.

Tomorrow: Edits! No, really!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Liz - I am doing a sleepy victory dance as I type this. I stayed up waaaaay too late finishing and I'm a zombie. But it's DONE. :D And yay on the editors being okay with your proposed change. And hugs to the kitty.

Sara K - Welcome! I've lost control of the reins a few times, and it's...not fun. Good luck with figuring it out. ;)

BfloGal - Hugs. I get migraines, too, and I know how awful they can be. Hope you're feeling better.

Namatu - Awesome!

Yes, I am free for the next three weeks. I have to get the cover started and the blurb, but mainly I need to give my brainbox a rest.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hooray: Congratulations, Saoirse! You are an awesome zombie. :hooray:

So, going through line edits is fun. Especially when they are from two different editors who sometimes undo each other's changes. I guess in those cases I pick what I want?

My plan is to do the easy changes over the next 3-4 days, although at this pace it might take longer. There is one larger change I agreed to make toward the end of the book, and that will take more work.

T minus 22 days.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
That's in Ellen McLain's voice, right?

I got some good beta feedback on my current musical project and have been working on that, although as with writing, sometimes you have to look beyond what they've actually said to find the underlying root cause. Turns out being psychic is part of all creative pursuits!

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Hello, I'm back in the land of the living. I think.

Jumped the gun yesterday, and thought the migraine was over just because the pain was gone. Added 412 words, two continuity problems, and one plot hole to my WIP before heading to bed and getting a much needed nap. Woke up a little less confused. Stupid migraine hangover.

Today, I fixed the damage I did yesterday and added another 603 words. I now have the required three complete sample chapters, albeit in draft form. So next week I hope to pretty them up, plump up the synopsis portion and send back to my agent. Setting a personal goal of Friday for that.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, everyone!

Yesterday I excised a chapter and edited a few others. Now I'm at a point where the character I'm removing from the story is the only one available to do something because everyone else is occupied...

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Psst, liz. I will tell you a secret. If your deadline is on a Friday, everybody really knows to expect it on Monday.

I typed up most of my hard copy edits, wrote two new scenes, and consumed three Samoa cookies.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote some stuff. Moved some things around. Keep running into continuity and pacing issues. Boo.