Names for spells that are descriptive words

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Okay, I've got magic in my world, and the spells (called disciplines) are such that they are involve the channeling or tapping of certain kinds of energy. They're usually referred to by what they do, more or less.

Obfuscation encourages people in the vicinity of the caster to look elsewhere or to simply see what they expect to see.

Conmutation temporarily alters the caster's superficial appearance.

Invigoration temporarily strengthens the caster

Racking converts vital energy (vitality) to dark or umbral energy.

And so on...

The thing that's bugging me is whether or not I should capitalize these words when they're used to refer to the disciplines (for that matter, should Discipline be capitalized).

My critiquers seem evenly divided, with some suggesting I capitalize when I don't, and some striking the capitalization out when I do. I go back and forth, as I sometimes wonder if it's clear enough to a naive reader that these words refer to spells or disciplines. But when I capitalize them, they look goofy to me.

Argh. I seem to remember some older fantasy writers capitalizing magic effects or spells, but I don't know if it's really the done thing anymore or not. Any thoughts on this fantasy readers?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
How often are you using these words?

I wouldn't have a problem with a capitalized word to refer to a discipline (and, if you're using it specially - like the Art to refer to magic, as opposed to art like a finger painting - you might even capitalize Discipline), but if you use the terms a lot, it might verge on Capitalization Overload.

So it would boil down to context and usage for me. Space them out, and it should be fine. Capitalize every Other word In a Given chapter, Even if You're referring To specific Branches of Your magic, And you Risk numbing Your reader.

JmHo...

RolandtheHeadless

Registered
Reaction score
I would capitalize the names of the individual spells, like Obfuscation, but not the word "discipline" itself.

If we look at the prayers (spells or incantations) of Christianity (Catholicism anyway), their names are usually capitalized, as in the Our Father and the Hail Mary prayers.

The names of sutra in Buddhism, and the kata of karate, are usually capitalized when written without Chinese characters. Notice I didn't just capitalize "sutra" and "kata" there, nor the word "prayers" in the paragraph above.

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Your betas were evenly divided, and I suspect your answers here will also not come to a clear conclusion. I think that capitalisation is one of those topics where custom and usage is in a state of flux, and also varies from country to country.

Personally, I'm not a fan of capitalising everything. But then that's just my view and there is no basis for it other than that too many capitals just look wrong for me.

Mind you, here's another thought. If I had a book that dealt with different classes of magic, I wouldn't want it to spend too long talking about those classes. That could seem a bit computer gamey or too rooted in D&D. Instead, I'd like to see the chat about the different classes sprinkled into the story judiciously. A little sprinkle here and there. Then I probably wouldn't mind the odd capital.

Maybe experts in one class are sniffy about other classes? Perhaps they have derogatory nicknames (not capitalised) for the classes that they really didn't like?

Wildlit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewildliterati.wordpress.com
I bet you'll be safe if you pick one way and keep it consistent throughout your book. From what I've seen, capitalization in fantasy doesn't really follow a clear set of rules between books/authors!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Pick one way. Stick with it.

Because this :
capitalization in fantasy doesn't really follow a clear set of rules between books/authors!
comes down to house style in the end. Each imprint has its own rules.

So just be consistent, you'll be fine.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mind you, here's another thought. If I had a book that dealt with different classes of magic, I wouldn't want it to spend too long talking about those classes. That could seem a bit computer gamey or too rooted in D&D.

I completely agree here (shudder). They only get mentioned in a very few places. Probably a handful of times in the entire novel.
Instead, I'd like to see the chat about the different classes sprinkled into the story judiciously. A little sprinkle here and there. Then I probably wouldn't mind the odd capital.

I'm a big fan of sprinkles, and not just on ice cream and doughnuts ;)
Seriously, I advocate of world building stuff being inserted in small snippets, not info dumps.

Maybe experts in one class are sniffy about other classes? Perhaps they have derogatory nicknames (not capitalised) for the classes that they really didn't like?

Well, the story centers around the "corruption" of vital/life magic into umbral or shadow magic (I don't capitalize those). There's definitely a lot of dislike for and fear of umbral magic (since it involves a significant amount of pain, and it's addictive as all the hells). My protagonist is one of these "broken" life magi, and no one is more down on his talent than he is.

There are other kinds of magic in the world (physical talent, which was once thought of as elemental), and there's a secondary character who has this ability, though very little time is spent on it.

Hadn't really thought about whether there should be derogatory nicknames between the life/vital magi and the physical magi.

I tried to use the term "vitamagus" as an old-fashioned term for life mage, until a reader pointed out that it sounded rather like the name for a delicious smoothie drink with kale and fruit (it's always good when a crit can make you start giggling).

I bet you'll be safe if you pick one way and keep it consistent throughout your book. From what I've seen, capitalization in fantasy doesn't really follow a clear set of rules between books/authors!

Pick one way. Stick with it.

Because this : comes down to house style in the end. Each imprint has its own rules.

So just be consistent, you'll be fine.

Maybe I'll just leave it uncapitalized, then. If someone wants to publish the thing, they can tell me what to do.

Last edited:

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
You could also go a middle ground and use italics instead if you want to visually set the words apart. A lot of fantasy stories capitalize spell-languages (because most are in foreign languages), but I don't see why you couldn't just italicize the spell-words as long as your consistent.

But yeah, i agree with the go un-capitalized.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd prefer the types of spells capitalized. Discipline can remain lowercase.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You could also go a middle ground and use italics instead if you want to visually set the words apart. A lot of fantasy stories capitalize spell-languages (because most are in foreign languages), but I don't see why you couldn't just italicize the spell-words as long as your consistent.

But yeah, i agree with the go un-capitalized.

I've considered that, though I use italics for mindspeech. I don't think it would usually be confusing, due to context, though. Easy enough to do a global search and replace if I need to. It's not like I use the words conmutation, obfuscation, and invigoration more than a handful of times in the manuscript in any context.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I would tend to prefer capitalizing them because you're differentiating from the accepted meaning of the word. This is less of a problem if you don't frequently use the accepted meaning of the word. If you're going to need the obfuscation as part of your narrator's vocabulary then differentiate Obfuscation.

But I'm not strongly wedded to this view. Do what works for you.

I really like this idea, though. It would add a lot of colour, I think.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I really like this idea, though. It would add a lot of colour, I think.

Well, I have a scene where one of my main character's (who is a healer) best friends (who has physical talent) is ribbing her about how creepy it must be to be able to feel other people's emotions. None of the pov characters are highly ranked within their magical hierarchies, so to speak, so they possibly aren't as invested in the internal politics. An interesting idea, though, even if I can just have one of the senior healer or mage characters make an offhand comment about "those other guys" who don't get how hard it is for us.

It certainly would be a lot like the ribbing that went on between the ecological side of my graduate bio department and the physiology side. And here I was, stuck in the middle as an integrative biologist.

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
My son will chastise me for giving this precious one away:

Fartekinesis. The ability to fart and have the smell magically travel to another's posterior. Please give me credit for this in your memoirs.

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
My son will chastise me for giving this precious one away:

Fartekinesis. The ability to fart and have the smell magically travel to another's posterior. Please give me credit for this in your memoirs.

I've always referred to this as throwing your farts so his secret's safe with me lol.

In answer to the OP, I would personally capitalize the spells and stick with that. Discipline itself doesn't need to be capitalized. For an example from my own works, I have a similar situation with areas of study (Transmutation, Elements) and "spells" associated with them (Rift, Palm Flame, etc.). The only time I capitalize the areas of study are when I refer to the as a proper name, otherwise I don't bother, but the spells themself .

Obviously that's only my personal take on the matter, use it as you see fit.

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
You might consider the context of how people in your world learn magic. If it's a world where disciplines are an academic or religious endeavor, then they would probably capitalize it. Whereas if it's a family, clan, or local tradition that people learn in villages or in the wilderness, then they probably wouldn't.

That way if someone tries to complain, you can always just say you're being logically consistent with the world of the characters.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wish I was Special, so ****ing Special...

Seriously, I remember reading a book a while back where a group of gifted people were known as Specials (may have been Cyteen, but it all blurs). It because invisible after a while, but it was noticeable at first.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I like caps here. It lets me know that this is something special, an saves having to define a made-up word.