What we're reading, the SFF edition

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
Recently read the novella "Nine Goblins" by T. Kingfisher (our own RedWombat). Loved it. To me it read a lot like Douglas Adams' works, only not quite so weird, or British :) (And fantasy rather than SF-themed)

I'll second the recommendation for Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. Overall it's really good, though if it hadn't been Jim Butcher I would never have picked up the books based on the blurbs. They didn't sound interesting to me at all. I was a little disappointed in the ending of the last book - more on how it was structured than the actual closure of the series. I didn't feel like Mr. Butcher quite gave me the payoff I was looking for in the grand finale of such a fine series, but that's my only real complaint.

RedAntisocial

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing off the Partials series by Dan Wells. I've picked these up as a cool-down after some intense reading for the Hugo ballot.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I just started on Joe Abercrombie's Half a King. I'm only about six chapters in but I'm enjoying it so far.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Started reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. I've only read one chapter so far, but I'm finding the voice to be a little distancing. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Has anyone else read this?

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Started reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker. I've only read one chapter so far, but I'm finding the voice to be a little distancing. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. Has anyone else read this?

I started it, but I agree with you, it's rather distant. But isn't that just old fashioned more that anything? Like the omni narrator telling you a story? I don't know if I'm going to finish it, seems too philosophical without the fun for me.

buirechain

Caution: (tries to) Walk on Water
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished "All You Need Is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (in an English translation) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently there were illustrations that weren't included with the the translation--though the original work needs to be distinguished from the later Manga and English graphic novel adaptations. I'm a little disappointed by the lack, but I don't know that it would have made much difference to me had they been available.

For those not familiar, it's the source material for the recent Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt movie "Edge of Tomorrow." I haven't seen it as I'd wanted to read this first, but having heard positive reviews from people I trust, and having read All You Need is Kill, I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Forged in Death by AW's own Jim Melvin. It was a quick read, and I enjoyed it. The magic system was interesting, and I liked the reincarnation and karma stuff that showed up. You don't see that all that often in epic fantasy. The plot was a little on the simple side, but I didn't mind that.

Last edited:

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I'm reading the INHERITANCE TRILOGY by NK Jemisin. Starting the last one, THE KINGDOM OF GODS tonight.

I really enjoy the author's unique voice, and looking forward to see how she brings the series arc together in this final story!

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. I had a hard time getting through the first half of Theft of Swords for some reason, but it picked up and I really enjoyed the rest of the series.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I finally finished The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan. I had a hard time getting through the first half of Theft of Swords for some reason, but it picked up and I really enjoyed the rest of the series.

That series is one of my favorites. It's nothing complex, but it's a whole lot of fun.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I started it, but I agree with you, it's rather distant. But isn't that just old fashioned more that anything? Like the omni narrator telling you a story? I don't know if I'm going to finish it, seems too philosophical without the fun for me.

Well, my son gave me the e-book (along with another one, a historical novel called Hild) for my birthday awhile back, and so I will read it just so I can tell him what I thought of it. It gets good reviews and the story description sounds like fun, but I think maybe I wasn't in the right mood for the fairy-tale voice. I'll come back to it in a week or so, and try again.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I had a hard time getting through the first chapter, and by the end of the book, I had yet to fall in love with the MC. However, I did love the trip.

Started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I'm having trouble grasping the color thing. I hope it becomes clear (to me) soon.

Dlmusic

Registered
Reaction score
I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir and really enjoyed it. The attention to detail was fantastic, it felt very authentic.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I had a hard time getting through the first chapter, and by the end of the book, I had yet to fall in love with the MC. However, I did love the trip.

Started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I'm having trouble grasping the color thing. I hope it becomes clear (to me) soon.

I had trouble with Prince of Thorns. It was interesting, but I really struggled to connect with Jorg. I recently started on King of Thorns. Jorg seems a little better now, but I can only take so much of him at once. I have to read in short spurts.

I liked The Black Prism (and the next in the series). It's funny. I liked Night Angel better, but I think the Lightbringer series is written better. Weeks is one of my top fantasy authors (though he's still a step below Sanderson for me).

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally (!!) reading The Dragon Waiting by John M Ford. George R. R. Martin must have studied him when it comes to the life expectancy of characters. Or perhaps, as they're both using the Wars of the Roses as their inspiration, it's just history.

I've looked long and hard to find this book. Picked it up at Worldcon for two pounds, yeah!

John M Ford is the poster child for why all creators ought to have a proper will. He didn't have one so died intestate and therefore it is extraordinarily difficult to find his very excellent works, and the ones he loved and who loved him have no control over his creative legacy.

He was a brilliant writer and is much missed. I am very happy to have finally found this book.

The worm drives helically through the wood
And does not know the dust left in the bore
Once made the table integral and good;
And suddenly the crystal hits the floor.
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways,
A massless eddy in a trail of smoke;
The names of lovers, light of other days
Perhaps you will not miss them. That's the joke.
The universe winds down. That's how it's made.
But memory is everything to lose;
Although some of the colors have to fade,
Do not believe you'll get the chance to choose.
Regret, by definition, comes too late;
Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate.

A Sonnet Against Entropy
John M Ford

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie.

Let's see what all the hype is about, eh?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I had trouble with Prince of Thorns. It was interesting, but I really struggled to connect with Jorg. I recently started on King of Thorns. Jorg seems a little better now, but I can only take so much of him at once. I have to read in short spurts.
Yep. Jorg is a monster. I love the writing, though.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I liked this one a lot better than Prince of Thorns. I can't say I like Jorg, but I've come to understand the character in a way, and I can at least enjoy the story now (regardless of whether or not I'm rooting for Jorg).

It probably helps that it's really well-written and well-paced (and that there's some fascinating worldbuilding).

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished the Talisman by Stephen King. Pretty good book, loved the beginning and middle and for some reason had a hard time finishing the end. Maybe because I could guess where things were going. But the ending scene was pretty nice.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com

I liked The Black Prism (and the next in the series). It's funny. I liked Night Angel better, but I think the Lightbringer series is written better. Weeks is one of my top fantasy authors (though he's still a step below Sanderson for me).

I agree with you on the whole Prince of Thorns thing. Like it WAS interesting, but so difficult to read for me. I borrowed it from the library and never finished it. Not sure if I will.

I have the Night Angel series on my TBR list, so I look forward to it. ^^

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton. This one seems to get mixed reviews, but I liked it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Got a short story fighting me, so I'll procrastinate here for a bit...

Last Finished (SF/F): The Peculiar, by Stephan Bachmann. YA fantasy in an alt-history England, where the faeries lost a war with man and now live in cluttered slums. While some faeries have managed to secure some wealth and social status, most are oppressed second-class citizens, and changelings - half-fay children - are universally despised, to the point where they almost never reach adulthood. Nice concepts, hearkening back to the old idea of faeries as dangerous entities best left alone, but I was disappointed in the plot and the selfish characters, plus it sprung a cliffhanger ending on me out of nowhere.

Currently Reading (SF/F): Death Warmed Over, Book 1 of the Dan Shamble, Zombie PI series, by Kevin J. Anderson. Light urban fantasy, starring a zombie detective trying to solve his own murder between other cases. Just started it, but so far it's fun - just the thing after a disappointing streak. (The best book I read in August was a picture book. Seriously.)

In non-SF/F, I'm still picking through The Forgotten Arts & Crafts, by John Seymour, a look at some of the many lost skills and trades that made the world of yesteryear go 'round. It's occasionally interesting, though not especially in-depth, and the nostalgic author's rose-colored glasses are so thick they're nearly a blindfold. I mostly got it to help with fleshing out worldbuilding and such; on that level, it's not too bad.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Nice Dragons Finish Last

It was fairly good.
Some issues with it, but nothing that couldn't be addressed in future works.
Somewhat worried by the author saying she wants to put out one every 4 months.