Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I don't think you need to worry about the premise being offensive. As previous posters have said, your story is obviously deeply critical of exploitation and abuse. It's about perversion, but it's about fighting perversion.

This is no guarantee of reviews that do not call you names (some of which may be diametrically opposed to each other!)

I know whereof I speak, having been called several things while doing exactly what you speak of -- my MC fighting perversion, being utterly disgusted by it (even when he isn;t the most moral person in the world).

Doesn't mean don't write it. It does mean a) think about stuff -- OP clearly is doing that. and b) be prepared

ETA that sounds really jaded and bitter doesn't it? I don't mean it to. It;s just one o' them facts of life. If you know your story is problematic going in, take steps to mitigate. And even of you write the Hungry Caterpillar*, expect people to see thing differently. I had a female character explicitly (in the text) save my male MC. Got blasted for having a "damsel in distress"...but a reader's opinions are valid and come from their own experience. You cannot change that. You can only do the best with this book. And that means thinkin hard

Which the OP seems to be doing, so it'll probably be cool.

* it is bad for people with body image problems as it encourages them to eat too much until they are beautiful. Real amazon review...Or my fave:
The book is no more than a blatant brainwashing session for a lesson in greed, consumerism and capitalism. No wonder we have raised a generation of corporate thieves who have brought the country to its knees.

Last edited:

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask what the villain's motive is? If it's sexual and he's heterosexual then using women might make sense, but you implied it may not be sexual but a power trip. If it's a power trip, then why not fill the space with men? That would more unexpected. But it's your story, of course. My brain just likes to flip things around.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! Your collective input has definitely given me food for thought.

To address the above question, it's partly sexual for the villain and partly a power trip. I think even he would have a hard time saying which was more fundamental. I'll think some more about having the group consist of both men and women.

I'll also think some more about the stakes being too low. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of fantasy novels where the whole world is in danger. So I deliberately lowered the stakes here--maybe I overdid it a little. I'll try to make the stakes high for the individual characters, even if the world as a whole is quite safe.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
From what I read in your post, I don't think it would come off as offensive. Sounds like it could be an interesting premise, actually.