Perks is back, but with a cautionary tale about branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never would have equated Perks with boobs. Coffee, yes. Perks of the job...definitely.

Glad you're back to your 'real' name.:Clap:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yes - ish. I am not in any way above a long lie-in, but I'm almost always pleasant in the morning.

I should say, though, that I don't think I've ever been described as a "perky" person. I'm always up for a laugh, but I don't have any Tigger in me.

Hah. I always thought it had to do with being perky in the morning.

Incidentally, I had a perky 2nd grade teacher who was obsessed with Tigger.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
weird.

although folks have taken my handle to suggest I was either homicidally inclined or exceptionally speedy in bed. Neither of which I'd have considered.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably showing my (lack of) age here, but... I didn't even know how the name Perks could make people think of coffee until I read this thread. Then again, I'm not a fan of coffee. Never realized people associated it with Das Bewbeez either.

I've actually been thinking of changing my username here because I'm starting to look for jobs that probably won't be receptive to what I write, but it's going to be very difficult for me. I've frequented AW off and on for almost ten years now, but I always manage to find my way back here. I practically grew up here. And I want people to recognize me when I change my name. Maybe I'll just keep my lovely custom avatar, which Medievalist bestowed upon me a few years back.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Instead of, "a cautionary tale about branding," how about just giving us a tale.

A short one will do. Ten thousand words or so :)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably showing my (lack of) age here, but... I didn't even know how the name Perks could make people think of coffee until I read this thread. Then again, I'm not a fan of coffee. Never realized people associated it with Das Bewbeez either.

I've actually been thinking of changing my username here because I'm starting to look for jobs that probably won't be receptive to what I write, but it's going to be very difficult for me. I've frequented AW off and on for almost ten years now, but I always manage to find my way back here. I practically grew up here. And I want people to recognize me when I change my name. Maybe I'll just keep my lovely custom avatar, which Medievalist bestowed upon me a few years back.

We did get to watch you grow up, Alan.

If you do change your name, I think LM's suggestion is a good one.

Jamie, I'm glad the name "Perks" is back. AW isn't the same without our delicate #$*& flower Perks. (Though I completely understand why you wanted to change it.) :)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's where you went.

Also, really? That thing about your screen name worries me. Would not have crossed my mind in a million years.

Me either.

But yay know, if anyone is actually up for talking about boobs.....

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of boobs. Probably because when I see "Perks" as a username I think it's a noun, and the meaning of the noun (benefits) is so disconnected in my head from the meaning of the verb or adjective (to pep up, peppy).

I have changed my username before. Then again it was after like a four year hiatus so I don't think anyone would have recognized me anyway...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My username, Myrealana, which I have used across message boards for over fifteen years, is the name of my first Everquest character.

It's pronounced my-RAY-uh-LA-nuh.

I learned a while back, when I joined a food and cooking discussion with the name, that people thought it meant I was posting as pro-anorexia (Pro-Ana, which is a thing that I never knew could even exist.) They read it as MyRealAna.

I thought about changing my name, but it's kind of *me*. It's my handle on a dozen sites. It's my email address.

I compromised by just making sure my signature always includes "Myrea" so at least people should be able to make the connection that the Myrea part is what's important, and not the "-ana."

Anyway, I went the coffee route with "Perks." I have to say, even seeing the logical thread, the connection to boobs is pretty thin...

Status
Not open for further replies.