Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I find most fascinating about birds is how they interact with one another. Whenever two or more get to within close range of each other, you can bet that some form of drama is bound to unfold. At times they squawk and fight over what appears to be the most mundane of issues, such as the rights to a tiny feeding area when a nearby expanse, as far as the eye can see and empty of other birds, yields just as much food.

The most serious disagreements, I've found, are settled by a court of bird law, where jurisprudence is dispensed in short order.

Here, the accused snowy egrets both listen as the witness gives testimony before the jury while an ibis bailiff looks on:

10-23-12111-SM-2.jpg

It disappeared from the post but I lifted the image address and how funny. :) I like the ibis lurking in the background. Excellent storytelling, SK.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Sorry I don't have any more nature videos, just people ones.
But there are plenty on YouTube, like this one on the Arapaima (world's biggest freshwater fish - a protected species in Guyana).

Then there's the whole BBC Lost Land of the Jaguar species, which is spectacular.
Here in Germany I can't watch the first of the series. One of the best episodes is this one, with piranha and very rare footage of a jaguar.
The series is about a group of scientists who went to Guyana to research the rarest wildlife species. It's a fantastic series, well worth watching.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Nice photo, Ben. Looks like a cormorant to me.
Yes, that's correct. Cool shot, Ben, and thanks for sharing.

It disappeared from the post but I lifted the image address and how funny. :) I like the ibis lurking in the background. Excellent storytelling, SK.
The story is what I imagined was occurring at the time, but who knows what they were up to. It was a strange scene, very intense as the two birds facing the camera appeared to catch a lot of grief from their peers.

By the way, Jude, have you heard yet about the razorbills that have migrated to Florida? There's a story about it here. They should be in New Jersey this time of year but have traveled 1000 miles out of their way to feed here. I'm heading to the beach tomorrow to see if I can find some...

Sorry I don't have any more nature videos, just people ones...
Darn it! I was hoping you had a big stash of videos on hand to share. Maybe this thread will inspire you to shoot more nature scenes for us. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, Jude, have you heard yet about the razorbills that have migrated to Florida? There's a story about it here. They should be in New Jersey this time of year but have traveled 1000 miles out of their way to feed here. I'm heading to the beach tomorrow to see if I can find some...

Oh my goodness! I might have to take a hike to the beach tomorrow as well. How cool is that!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Let me know if you guys find Elvis.

Or Jimmy Hoffa.

Will do. :D

I'm not fond of the beach, though it's a good place to target shore birds. In my younger days I'd have been more interested in the string bikinis passing by, whereas now I tell them to get the hell out of my way...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Will do. :D

I'm not fond of the beach, though it's a good place to target shore birds. In my younger days I'd have been more interested in the string bikinis passing by, whereas now I tell them to get the hell out of my way...
:rolleyes:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of the beach, a long series here that should tide me over from posting photos until next year. :)

They are, from the top, three snowy egrets, a sandpiper, a sanderling, a great blue heron, a royal tern and a black skimmer:

7-30-12171-SM.jpg

7-13-12065-SM-1.jpg

8-6-12056-SM.jpg

8-6-12018-SM.jpg

8-6-12025-SM.jpg

7-30-12128-SM-1.jpg

8-6-12049-SM.jpg

6-23-12089-SM-1.jpg

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful selection of photos, SK!

I liked the plumage pattern of the sanderling.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That shot of the heron is amazing. The color is so vivid.

SK, I told my mom about the razorbills and she says they've been hanging out in her lake. She thought they were wayward penguins. :rolleyes:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Great pics (as usual), SK! I particularly like the last one.
I like that one also, especially when I recall the fits I went through to get a decent shot of one feeding. People walking by must've thought I was doing bending exercises while lying in the sand to get in the right position...

Wonderful selection of photos, SK!

I liked the plumage pattern of the sanderling.
They're beautiful birds, so small in stature yet giant in spirit as they compete for food with their much larger cousins.

Thanks, SK. Wonderful photos. So clear and alive! I look forward to next year's pix!
I usually don't post that many photos at a time, except when I'm celebrating New Year's Eve a little early and opt for a grand finale. ;)

That shot of the heron is amazing. The color is so vivid.

SK, I told my mom about the razorbills and she says they've been hanging out in her lake. She thought they were wayward penguins. :rolleyes:
If your mom lives nearby, you could visit her place for a look at, and possibly photos of, some razorbills.

I got sidetracked today and didn't get a chance to make it to the beach; but I will tomorrow, hopefully.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I got sidetracked, too--by a nap. :D She does live close, maybe I'll get there tomorrow.

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
This is a photo of a juvenile giant trevally I caught and released a few years ago. I estimated it at around three pounds, but they can easily grow to 100+ pounds.

WhitePapio700x525_zps4067f234.jpg
WhitePapio700x525_zps4067f234.jpg.html

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This is a photo of a juvenile giant trevally I caught and released a few years ago. I estimated it at around three pounds, but they can easily grow to 100+ pounds.

WhitePapio700x525_zps4067f234.jpg
WhitePapio700x525_zps4067f234.jpg.html
I've never heard of that fish, L. Y. Where did you catch it? I'm assuming it's an ocean fish, from the appearance.

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of that fish, L. Y. Where did you catch it? I'm assuming it's an ocean fish, from the appearance.
I caught this at Aikahi, which is located on the windward (eastern) shore of Oahu. In Hawai'i, they are called ulua (adults; any fish over ten pounds) or papi'o (juveniles under ten pounds).

They are highly prized game fish by many shorecasters here. When caught on hook and line, the sheer power they possess is pretty amazing. :)

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's a beautiful fish. I can only imagine what they look like with the sunlight shimmering off them.

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
They tend to be nocturnal feeders, so I've rarely caught them during the day (tbh, I rarely catch them at all while fishing :D). Maybe one day I'll get lucky and catch one on a nice, sunny day for the thread.

The juveniles are shinier in comparison to the adults. Their coloration tends to fade to a dull gray (or gray-black, if they are male) as they age.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I now have my 2013 Silver King nature calendar hanging up in my office! Beautiful! Such nice images to look at while I'm working.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This is a photo of a juvenile giant trevally I caught and released a few years ago. I estimated it at around three pounds, but they can easily grow to 100+ pounds...

Nice shot, Lance! I love fishing photos (without anglers in them). :)

Well, I now have my 2013 Silver King nature calendar hanging up in my office! Beautiful! Such nice images to look at while I'm working.
And the best part is that it will remind you of me every single day for a whole year! :D