The Commonwealth Games 2014

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The England team are looking good in the Team Pursuit. Have to hope the Aussies come behind us cos then we'll get the easier semi. I think.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I discover this thread now??? :/ I've been watching practically NON STOP. I love sport - as a spectator that is. Some of my favourites - the marathons, women's javelin & highjump. Emma McKeon in the swimming. Loved watching UBolt of course, and the Brownlee machines in the triathlon. Love being amazed at how riveting sports like shooting can be :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh there you are! I thought there was only me watching! LOL!

I've watched every minute of the weightlifting and the gymnastics. None of the swimming (sorry) and quite a lot of athletics. My favourite moment so far is watching the Kiribati lifter celebrate winning his country's first ever medal. It was brilliant!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
How do you watch it Miranda? We've got it on one free to air channel, very Aus-centric. It's also streamed on 8 channels online but my internet's not up to that at all. We're ping ponging between hockey and netball at the mo. Poor England just got pipped at the post again in the netball.

ETA that last sentence isn't meant to be sarcastic or snide, well not consciously :)

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I just looked up Katoatau's medal, fantastic! The article also mentioned Samoa's Ele Opeloge getting silver in the womens over 75kg SIX MONTHS AFTER GIVING BIRTH.
Now I'm quite happy to see an Aussie win a medal but I don't need to see it twenty-seven times at the expense of performances like these.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I know! She was amazing. She had to power lift a couple of times as she couldn't squat very low. Understandably!

I watch it on the BBC Sports website. They have all the streams and although BBC TV has 3 channels dedicated to the CWG, they are rarely showing what I actually want to watch!

They have been Home Nation centric but that's to be expected I suppose.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone saw the mens hockey on the first day, England v Trinidad and Tobago, you might have actually seen me and my boss! She got a load of tickets and treated a few of us from work to go with her and see stuff, and because she's a wheelchair user, we were seated right down the front. Spotted myself on the BBC coverage a couple of times!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh nice one! What was it like being there? There has been little news of anything going wrong. The locals were friendly?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It's been pretty amazing around here. A little bit dodgy in terms of organisation and signposting but generally it's been fine. I've loved seeing the different teams wandering about in town (had a long conversation with a couple of athletes from Team Bermuda yesterday). I was a bit worried I'd have trouble getting to work as we're right across the river from the Hydro and SECC and I live just up the road from Hampden, but it's been fine.

Seeing it as a spectator was great but we were baked! The weather has generally been amazing but we were sitting totally in the open with no shade. I'm just waiting now for the merchandise shop to calm down a bit so I can get in and get a few things. It's had a queue a mile long just to get into it for the last few days.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh sorry! I didn't realise you were living in Glasgow, I thought you were in Prague!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone on our coverage is saying the Weegies (? that right?) are fabulous and so friendly and supportive. That comes across through the telly too. I love the crowd singing, especially at the boxing, that seemed so wonderfully bizarre. I can't remember the song but it wasn't the Proclaimers.
Also love the great camaraderie between the gymnasts.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hey who said netball is a non contact sport?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The boxing tune is Sweet Caroline. No idea why. Everywhere else it's 500 miles.

The Proclaimers are going to find their fan base greatly extended in Asia and Africa!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What I loved a lot about the gymnastics is getting to see gymnasts you never see otherwise cos they belong to countries that don't qualify for the Olympics. It makes a real change to see places where I didn't know they even did gymnastics!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There's Para Powerlifting on the website at 13.55! Never seen that, should be good.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yes that's it, Sweet Caroline :D

I don't think I've ever seen Para Power Lifting - I watch the Paralympics but can't recall any lifting... you'll have to describe it cos I have trouble watching anything on YouTube let alone live streaming :/

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't remember it either from the Paralympics. Maybe this is the first time it's in international multisport competition. I shall send you a full description!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Spoiler for the women's boxing:

Yes! Nicola Adams you beauty! Feck me, that was close. And a messy messy fight. And I know Michaela Walsh is upset at the moment but she's a very bad loser.

Last edited: