Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I know I give out honest (and sometimes harsh) crits as well, but it's because I care and want a story to be the best it can be (even if it's just my measly opinion LOL). And I know that's what this beta reader wants for me as well. She and I have become very good friends over the years and that has not swayed her in holding back. Which I really appreciate and respect about her. She is an amazing writer herself and an avid reader (she reads well over 100 books a year). I just have to have the courage to tackle the revisions. I'm still waiting for one more set of notes for this first beta round and then I will put all their notes/ideas together and go from there. IN the meantime, I'm SWAMPED with my own beta reading. I have one who is self-pubbing in a month or two, and another who just sent me the final 1/3 of her novel and have to get to that because her agent is waiting on it. (Sorry, Kansas!!! I need to put the ever awesome Tex on hold for a little bit :().

Anyway, thanks for the support. And Stiger, I'm so relieved that my notes/comments/critique helped you!! That gives me hope :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So, I got another set of notes from another beta reader and it was harsh to say the least.. Sigh.

:Hug2: hang in there. They're trying to help ya make it better. ;)

*repeats this to self*

~Got an email from my editor yesterday, and she's partway through edits on Magic&Meru [modern fairytale due out June 2013].
She thought it looked good, and saw no major errors in the MS. :snoopy: Hopefully the rest of the book is the same.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Got some beta notes on TM today, and those plus the ones I got during NaNo (that I still haven't looked at) mean I can start work on it again! With a ton of tweets from agents today about revision time, I was itching to start work again (as opposed to one week ago, when I was whining about being tired of writing stuff), so it was perfect timing!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
It is great to have an honest, well-read beta reader. But yeah, it can be humbling. I get afraid to revise too, which is why I have multiple copies of my novels saved. Never once have I gone back to a previous version, but they are there just in case I muck it up.

Good luck Bert and FM in your contests. FM, have you seen the thread about the Amazon contest in the Bewares section. Might want to give that a read. People bring up some interesting stuff.

Sometimes I wonder if Amazon will take over publishing.

Kansas, have you searched querytracker or preditors and editors? I found 20 publishers who take unsolicited queries on querytracker.

http://www.querytracker.net/publishers.php?qtype=pub&qname=&qgenre=13&qsearch=Search

Lucia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chooseya.com
I definitely agree about having a good beta. I'm lucky as my current wip is for uni so my tutor, who is already published, is going through my chapters and helping me a lot, but I'm in a critique group too.

Good luck everyone entering those contests. I'm approaching the final days in the one I am in for blogging, but am a little behind sadly. Hoping for a spate of viewers over weekend

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I know the novel will be better for it, but I guess I fear that in tryng to fix things I will make such a mess of the mani that it will end up a total disaster that I don't know how to fix. I'm assuming this is a typical fear? Or not? Sigh.
This is totally a typical fear. Sometimes it's the fear that you're erasing something that really did add to the novel, or you're changing it in the wrong way, or that you're taking it in the wrong direction. I know for TM, I freaked out a lot that--because it was an agent R&R, so I was hoping to meet her expectations--I was erasing things she liked and not doing enough of what she expected. It's a little different with betas because you're not trying to meet their expectations, but the fear is still there. What if you're ruining the book?

One of the biggest fears I had for TM the first time around was about changing the beginning. I had sent out to betas, I knew that something was needed, but at the time that I started querying with a brand new opening scene in chapter 1, the only person who had read it was a girl I asked to focus on the soldier scenes. So sending out queries with the first 10 pages was so scary.

Just remember to keep the original. You can always always always start revisions over if you decide you went the wrong way if you have the previous version around. That really helped me get through the big changes in my R&R.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sage! :Hug2: I did copy and rename the doc, so I have my original and should be safe there. I know I will figure it out. Revisions like this is something I REALLY need to conquer in the event I ever get an R&R from an agent or editor. So, this will be good practice for me. It's mostly character issues (which I've honestly never dealt with), but in fixing some of them, it may alter motivations that affect the overall thriller, who-done-it aspect and that's what scares me. But I'm going to talk to my beta reader/friend today to brainstorm some ideas on how I could address the issues without turning the novel into a total do over. She LOVES the second half of the novel, but not the first half, but things I change in the first half will affect the second half, so that's where I'm a little nervous, but I know I can do it. I have no option. I will not quit on a novel I worked so hard on to let revision fears run me off of it :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Melly, I think Sage hits on the head - THIS IS A NORMAL FEAR.

I have it ALL the time. If you look at my first draft of this novel and this new rewrite *and* the changes I'm ABOUT to make- you would say they are totally different. I worry a lot if I am loosing the essence of my novel, its core, but then I realize I'm feeling confident about it and that's my choice. If an agent or beta reader doesn't like it, too bad for them lol I believe in it.

You can always NOT take beta advice. Not to say you shouldn't, but this is YOUR novel and yes their suggestions may be great but you don't have to take or agree with them. Just a reminder.

Good luck, you can do it@!!!!!

FMAnderson

Knocking his head against the wall.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
empirenevadathenovel.wordpress.com
Thanks, guys!

I did check out the rules well. While there is some sketchiness, I mostly see it as a way to get an idea of how interested people are in my novel. I don't expect to win. :)

PS- To those asking, I'd prefer to not to get too deep into the bs making this year a pain. It's a not great observation, two classes that are a real pain, and the sadness of realizing that no dream job is stress free. I'll make it, but am a bit depressed and stressed. Thanks for being concerned. :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

Any of you guys use Scrivener? I just bought it...probably should have just got the trial version, but I was being impulsive with my half off coupon ;)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Bishop!

Congrats on submitting your book to these guys! (I assume you queried your novella, correct?). Good luck.

And thanks, I might give 'em a go myself.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, JB!!

Kewii, I haven't used Scrivener but I've been curious. Let me know what you think.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Bishop and everyone! I don't wanna' rain on anyone's parade before we've got the giant Snoopy float inflated, but...here me out.

The Random House epubbing imprint? I'm a little wary, only 'cause they're VERY nebulous about mentioning royalties on the site. In fact, they don't mention them.

And the only reason I'm questioning this is recently Simon & Shuester came out with an eprint pubbing imprint. But, further investigation (okay, another author who investigated told me this) showed that it was a glorified vanity press deal. They're actually CHARGING authors to be under their imprint! Crazy! I'd expect better from S&S (then again...corporate Americana. Sigh.).

I may be wrong and I'll probably still query 'em. And I don't wanna' harsh your buzz, Bish. Just keep them eyes of yours open, girl! Report in if you find anything out.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, JB. Those Random House electronic imprints are a great idea for everyone....big publishing, readers, writers.

Kewii, I envy your Scribner. I have heard great things about it. I write my novels in Word and I am sure there is a more efficient way of doing this.

I didn't realize how productive November was until I looked at my progress in the last week. Um, yeah, just 2,000 words in a week.

I did get the Christmas newsletter written. :)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Aw no worries, Kansas. I wouldn't fall into a trap like that. I'd much rather be published by a reputable small press than pay a big 5 a dime to have them publish me ;)

And thanks JK :D

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Huzzah, Bish! I hope I'm wrong!

Can't find the post right now, but an author on the Muse loops queried Simon & Schuester's epubbing venture and figured out it'd take about 20k sales to break even.

Then again, hope springs eternal!

And your novella's good enough, Bish, to get pubbed (especially without YOU having to pay for it).

Like your new avatar by the way.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Aw shucks (channeling me some Kansas there lol)! Thanks for the faith in my work ;)

and hahaa thanks, I was playing with an online photo editor and felt my current hair color need more accurate representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.