Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is to reach 50,000 words in my WIP. I'm currently at 15,000. I know that's unimpressive for most of y'all, but I've accepted that I write at a slower pace. I'm also in a writing-reading-heavy graduate program, and I don't have time to write each day. Alas. 50,000 would be much closer to my ultimate goal!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Happy 2013, fellow old people!

My writing goal for the year is simple: write every day. I know that seems small for a lot of you who probably already do it, but I'm weird. I have a hard time getting into "the zone" unless I know I have a good chunk of time set aside. You'd think being a stay-at-home-Mom would be conducive to that, but...no. So my aim is to learn to pump put a few words when I can steal 10-15 minutes, every single day.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write every day, but when I do write, I devote a lot of time to it. But I also need time to get into my characters' heads to effectively write, so a little every day wouldn't work for me anyway. Not everyone has my schedule's flexibility (particularly if they have kids!), and it works better for others to write a little every day.

All right, my goals:
- write at least one new book (usually I get two a year)
- put the final touches on TM and send it out again
- rewrite aPB
- look into SPing IaPT
- read 100 books

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a great goal, JB. I think being a SAHM is one of the hardest jobs out there. If you find 15 extra minutes, you must be doing something right!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
100 books (not including re-reads) for me this year unless Goodreads does it differently, in which case, like that.

GRADUATE.
More writing - lots more writing - starting off with short stories (Paragon Academy will still be coursework).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At the top of your Goodreads home screen there should be a 2013 reading challenge link, Lisa

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Signed up for it. I'll be starting it with the next fiction book I read, which will be for uni, actually.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One note about GR's reading challenge, though, is that it doesn't differentiate between books vs. short stories, picture books and chapter books vs. MG and older. So if you want to count books only and MG or older only (which is AW's rules) you have to be tricky about it. But you also can't count beta reads, if you do that, so then you have to find a way to fill that spot on GR (that's when I usually put in my chapter books or short stories)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to count beta reads. :) And isn't it just a case of not including them in your currently reading list?

Also, it seems to be taking a long time for my recommendations to come up...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Some things are delayed. Just wait until you have a book and you're waiting for reviews and they aren't showing on one page but are on another ;)

I count beta reads. And it annoys me to finish a book but not add it to GR, so I usually just do CBs without a "date read"

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
writing goals:
finish a book.
sell book, rinse and repeat lol

other goals:
be a better person
go somewhere new
win the lottery???

I happen to be a very optimistic person haha

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, do you need to have a "date read" for it to count in the 2013 thing? How do you do the dates read? The day you finish the book?

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. 100 books? I try to read one a week, so you're doubling what I read.

I'd like to write at least one new first draft this year and revise something to a query-worthy state. I'd love to make a goal to write everyday, but I know it can't happen. Maybe I could come up with an average instead of a daily or weekly goal.

Hope 2013 is a wonderful writing year for you all!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fast reader. If I do nothing but read, I can read a bunch of books in a day, sometimes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, do you need to have a "date read" for it to count in the 2013 thing? How do you do the dates read? The day you finish the book?
If you mark it "currently reading" while you read it and then "read" when you finish, it will automatically assume you finished the day you mark it "read." If you just mark it read, you have to manually give it a date, but it's easy to do from your "read books" page.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Then they won't have a date for when you finished them, but they will for when you added them. But it won't be counted towards your reading challenge without a "date read"

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh OK.

And how do you work progress while reading (print AND ebook) and post comments while reading?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's the currently reading section on your home page and you can update your progress there. You can also do it on the book's page.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
New Year's goals?

Okay, ahem...

*Quit saying dumb things to my wife (which rules out about 50% of our conversations);
*Try and be a better father to my Lindsay Lohanesque daughter (but you know what? Having said that, methinks she needs to make a resolution to quit being so Lohanesque);
*Stop hating the heinous woman across the street...well...at least a bit more;
*Lose weight (after about three weeks of binging on crap food. Gotta' crawl up to these things or they don't work);
*Quit secretly smoking (I know, right? Never said I was smart.);
*Call my mom daily (naw, the hell with that. Weekly? I'll work on it);

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Crap, forgot to mention why we're all here (except for, of course, to wish you guys a happy new year, good goin', best wishes on future endeavors, kickin' tidings, bla, bla, bla, I think I covered it)!

Writing goals! My goals are:
*Finish two new first drafts of books;
*Strive to improve my writing (something I'm constantly working on and something I don't think I'll ever be happy with);
*Try like crazy to get two books pubbed this year (I'm sitting on five others, in various needs of revising).

Lofty, yes, but set your goals high everyone!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
This group is prolific. I am like the bird in the avatar person who is a slow drafter. I try to put the pedal to the metal, but get sidetracked by research. Maybe I don't plan ahead enough. Just tonight, I got sidetracked by religion, of all things. I didn't realize this would be a theme. It comes up in multicultural romance.

My goals for 2013:
- Find true balance between creative and freelance writing, or dump the latter. (If only I could avoid the instant gratification of payment within a week).
- Finish first draft of new YA novel, hope it is as lovely as it appears.
- Polish the prose on MG novel, circulate it to eager agents or editors.
- Outline new idea for YA novel that makes me want to dance at its brilliance. Wish I had one million hours to write!
- Attend at least one writer's conference this year.

SIK, I used to be a secret smoker. I gave it up a few years ago, and it was easier than I thought it would be. Good luck with that! It is a great choice for your health. I no longer worry when I get a cough.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Adding in :)

Writing Goals:
-Continue writing 5/6 days a week. But increase daily goal to at least 2,000 words everyday.
-Finish the third draft of Talented by end of January and send to Betas
-Finish my query, synopsis
-Put on my big girl pants and post in SYW
-Finally start emailing agents
-Rewrite Witch story AND Sidekick story.
-Read 80 books for the year.

I'm sad that I only have four more days of vacation left :( After struggling the first few days, I really found a system that worked and got a lot done.

Status
Not open for further replies.