Writer's Literary Screenplay Agency, Screenplay Writers' Agency,The Screenplay Agency

cooljim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cooljim.com
Accepted!! ... By 'The Screenplay Agency'...??

Thanks to everyone here. By reading here, I've learned that 'The Screenplay Agency' is a scam.

So that others may not fall for their scam, I'm posting the 'acceptance' email I received today from 'The Screenplay Agency' on my Internet site. I'll positively respond to their email and post the results here.

Quote from their form email: "We have to start trusting each other
somewhere..."

Uhhh... actually when it comes to 'The Screenplay Agency,'... no, we don't.

Jim Boyd
www.cooljim.com
Mentioned email: http://www.cooljim.com/screenplay.html

cooljim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cooljim.com
Accepted!! ... By 'The Screenplay Agency'...?? Act II

Just to see what would happen next, I bit on 'The Screenplay Agency's' offer. Here's what I received in return: a long winded form email and a contract.

Here, from the body of the email, is the hook:

"If you have a critique already please be sure it matches the thoroughness of the critique example we sent you. If it doesn't we will reject it. If you want me to look at it just email it to me. Frankly, you will save a lot of time and aggravation if you use our referral."

The italiacs and bolding in the paragraph above are mine. I just wanted to point out the baited hook's tip.

Am I wrong? I don't see a last name anywhere in any correspondence I've posted here that I've had with 'The Screenplay Agency!' Strange. I'll wade through it again.

The address listed 3840 W. Hillsboro Blvd, is not a real office, but a mailing service that can be found here:
http://wecanshipthat.com/

Decide for yourself if this is a scam. If you found this information useful, leave a comment on my guestbook, if you have the time and inclination. Other than that, I have to leave 'The Screenplay Agency' alone now, I have to return to serious screenwriting and a search for a REAL agent.

Jim Boyd
www.cooljim.com
Mentioned email and contract: http://www.cooljim.com/screenplay2.html

Last edited:

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Aw Shucks! I finally get a "Yes please" then check it out on AW and find it's a scam. Thanks AW, just saved me $$$.

Must admit I was already alerted, though. Had submitted to them months ago then received several emails recently all saying they were worried their incoming emails were going into their spam folder and asking me to resubmit. I did, but very warily and really out of curiousity.

But they really like my work - we have to learn to trust each other......

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Anyone else getting bombarded with emails from these people? They are now asking for $95 for a Coverage Report and $189 for a Pitch. I assume thescreenplayagency is the same as wlscreenplayagency?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I assume thescreenplayagency is the same as wlscreenplayagency?
From the INDEX that CaoPaux keeps up to date, the various names of Fletcher's enterprises are as follows:

Writers’ Literary Agency & Marketing Company
(formerly The Literary Agency Group, Inc.)
WL Children’s Agency (aka The Writers Literary Agency – Children’s Division) (formerly The Children’s Literary Agency) (Dorothy Walker, Robert West)
Christian Literary Agency,
New York Literary Agency, The (Sherry Fine)
WL Poets Agency (formerly The Poets Literary Agency)
WL Screenplay Agency (formerly The Screenplay Agency)
Stylus Literary Agency (formerly ST Literary Agency, formerly Sydra Techniques) (Robert Fletcher, Jill Mast, Mark Bredt)

Other companies affiliated with the above "agencies":

American Enterprises Group / AEG Publishing Group
Strategic Book Publishing
Eloquent Books
My Editor Is A Saint
The Writers Literary & Publishing Services Co.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I need to add the latest hatching, don't I.

Nuke 'em from orbit; it's the only way to be sure....

Pale_Jewel

Registered
Reaction score
I fell for it but did not pay money

Hi all.

I signed up to share my little experience. I too found the WL Screenplay agency on the web and really liked their attitude to new writers and the pathos they seemed to have. They seemed to be very upfront, saying things like they only want "commercial" screenplays in the hope that they'll sell and they don't promise they will sell but etc. All "honest" stuff a writer wants to hear. I was accepted based on my online query I sent and asked to sign a copy of their contract (after many inspiring emails). I signed their "electronic" contract but got a bit concerned when they sent their copy back, seemingly unsigned by themselves. (They said that the contract is signed and legal due to me signing my side or something).

Anyway, they were very encouraging and I too was assigned Mary Bluestone as my personal agent. (Does anyone get assigned any one else)?

They now have 2 of my screenplays but I've had them registered and I just sent them an email effectively firing them.

I abit annoyed they have my work but as people here have said, they probably have no idea how to do anything with them anyway and I have them registered. The real embarrassment for me was not only falling for it, but that there's a producer in LA right now, reading my script with Mary Bluestone's name on the title page details! I sure as hell hope he doesn't call her. Or even worse, he knows about the agency being a scam and just put my script down without reading it. :(

Anyway, I didn't give them any money but I'm back at square one now. No representation like I thought and a real confidence blow.

For anyone who's interested, here is the email (and subsequent letter) I sent to fire them:

To whom it may concern;

Due to the negative attention and reports the WL Screenplay Agency and its affiliates have received; I hereby revoke my contract with you as agents to my work. As of 04th August 2009, you do not represent me.

You will be required to destroy any work I have sent to the agent/agency and are reminded that all screenplays submitted by myself have been WGA registered.

Sincerely

Pale_Jewel

Registered
Reaction score
How did the producer come to have a copy of your script?

I signed up to VirtualPitchFest.com and pitched a query to him. He responded with a Yes to reading the script the only one out of 10 pitches. Not sure if that's good odds or not. I'm wondering if I should contact him again and ask him to use my contact details and not my agents?

Here is the reply I got after severing my contract:

I am sorry that this didn't work out.

This email shall serve as formal termination and dissolution of our Literary Agency Contract for Representation.

We wish you the best in all your writing endeavors.

We have deleted your materials and removed you from consideration. If you should happen to get another email from us, please disregard it and that will remove you from our process completely. Our company has a time lag in certain communications from department to department.

Best to you in your career.

It's a shame, because they've always been very cordial with me but I guess the evidence speaks for itself.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm wondering if I should contact him again and ask him to use my contact details and not my agents?

Yes, you should.

First, because "Mary Bluestone" (who probably doesn't even exist) is not currently your agent. Second, because even if "she" was, "she" would have no clue what to do if the producer turned out to be interested.

I signed up to VirtualPitchFest.com and pitched a query to him. He responded with a Yes to reading the script the only one out of 10 pitches.

So "Mary Bluestone" and Fletcher had nothing whatever to do with putting that script into a producer's hands....

TheDangle1

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah..but he still needs his ass kicked!

I'm new to this forum and need some advice. Idiot me, I didn't research enough and signed a contract for a year and sent in a screenplay to Robert Fletcher and his bogus agency, WL Agency. I have sent e-mails to Victoria Strauss, which she has gotten back to me, and Randi Shapiro of the Economics Crime Division who's investigating Flethcer in Florida. I also paid the $95 fee for the editor to read my screenplay.

HOW DO I GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT?

Any advice from anybody would be helpful.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How to get out of the contract?

Send them a registered letter telling them that, effective immediately, they do not represent you.

They won't sell your screenplay (because they can't, even if you do pay them).

And send copies of everything (including canceled checks and credit card receipts) to the Florida AG.

TheDangle1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I signed up to share my little experience. I too found the WL Screenplay agency on the web and really liked their attitude to new writers and the pathos they seemed to have. They seemed to be very upfront, saying things like they only want "commercial" screenplays in the hope that they'll sell and they don't promise they will sell but etc. All "honest" stuff a writer wants to hear. I was accepted based on my online query I sent and asked to sign a copy of their contract (after many inspiring emails). I signed their "electronic" contract but got a bit concerned when they sent their copy back, seemingly unsigned by themselves. (They said that the contract is signed and legal due to me signing my side or something).

Anyway, they were very encouraging and I too was assigned Mary Bluestone as my personal agent. (Does anyone get assigned any one else)?

They now have 2 of my screenplays but I've had them registered and I just sent them an email effectively firing them.

I abit annoyed they have my work but as people here have said, they probably have no idea how to do anything with them anyway and I have them registered. The real embarrassment for me was not only falling for it, but that there's a producer in LA right now, reading my script with Mary Bluestone's name on the title page details! I sure as hell hope he doesn't call her. Or even worse, he knows about the agency being a scam and just put my script down without reading it. :(

Anyway, I didn't give them any money but I'm back at square one now. No representation like I thought and a real confidence blow.

For anyone who's interested, here is the email (and subsequent letter) I sent to fire them:

To whom it may concern;

Due to the negative attention and reports the WL Screenplay Agency and its affiliates have received; I hereby revoke my contract with you as agents to my work. As of 04th August 2009, you do not represent me.

You will be required to destroy any work I have sent to the agent/agency and are reminded that all screenplays submitted by myself have been WGA registered.

Sincerely

Yeah, I got assigned the so-called "Mary Bluestone" myself. Whoever this person is, they take forever getting back to you if you send an e-mail. I got duped by them and paid the $95 editor fee.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
"Mary Bluestone" is Robert Fletcher. He has used over 50 aliases in operating his "literary agencies" "editing services" and "publishing houses."

If you paid for a critique, you need to get in touch with the Florida Attorney General's Office. They are conducting the investigation. Go the the Alert link on Writer Beware.

www.writerbeware.com

Get your name on the list to receive restitution.

-Ann C. Crispin

TheDangle1

Registered
Reaction score
I finally fired and cancelled the contract with the bogus WL Agency. I sent them an e-mail telling them they were fired and they sent me a response saying they were sorry it didn't work out. No fuss, no hassle, but I'm back to square 1 with NO representation. I joined virtualpitchfest.com and already got rejected 5 times. I've sent query letters to other agencies and have gotten rejected. My dilemma is this:

HOW THE F**CK IS SOMEBODY SUPPOSED TO GET A BREAK IF NOBODY WILL GIVE THEM A CHANCE?

It's very frustrating and very upsetting! I see all these old crap movies being remade and all aspiring writers, like myself, with good material not even being allowed through the front door, so to speak. Thanks to Mr. Fletcher getting my hopes up, my hopes are now down again because I'm working very hard with no results.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE AS HOW TO GET THE ATTENTION OF AN AGENCY?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
but I'm back to square 1 with NO representation.

Put that thought out of your head. You never had representation.

Now what to do?

First, you can check out our screen writing area here.

Next, you can check out the blogs of working screen writers. They're real people, they love to talk shop, and they're generally friendly. Find out who wrote your favorite movies. Check to see if they're active on-line.

They can tell you the real scoop.

TheDangle1

Registered
Reaction score
Hey James,
You've been a big help. Where are these blogs for the screenwriters? Could you please provide some links? That would be great. Thanks...

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=1032

http://johnaugust.com/

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/

http://www.filmmakingstuff.com/category/screenwriting/

Google on screenwriters with blogs. Pick some. See who's on their friends lists. See who they link to. See who comments.

The impression I've always gotten is that the way to sell a screenplay is to move to Los Angeles and network like a son-of-a-bitch. But I could be entirely wrong about that. Ask me how to sell a novel--that I know how to do.

Last edited:

Author Shane Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Well crap. I was exited and hoped I would be the first to announce the FL AG lawsuit against Fletcher and Fine.

Nonetheless, glad to see you guys are on top of it!

~Shane

GaryBuglass

Registered
Reaction score
The latest....

Hi everybody,

Been a while since I was last on this blog but I just found some information on the screenplay agency's website which you may or may not know about already. They've finally decided to declare legitimate "sales"! This is what their website currently says --

Our screenplay clients' most recent SCRIPT SALES and OPTIONS:

• Joseph's Thompson's Born of Earth, sold to Skeleton Factory Prods., filmed in 2008 and currently in release.

• Katrina Rodriguez' Solace, optioned by Worldwide Screen Actors Co.

• Jill Carlton's The Fear Gods, optioned by 21st Century Fox Prods.

• Robert Bridge's Sacrificed, optioned by Polar Pictures, Inc.

Now, after doing a little research on google I found no details of any production companies named Skeleton Factory, Worldwide Screen Actors Co or Polar Pictures, Inc.

And as for 21st Century Fox Prods -- well, aren't they still called Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation??