Jodie Foster finally comes out - publically

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed and touched by the speech itself, but all the bullet points in the article are melting my brain a little. I feel dumb and uncultured. *sob*

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Watching this Sunday night, I was so moved I had to rewind and watch it again. Not just for gays, not just for child actors' lifelong fight for privacy, but for the dignity that is due all of us as individuals. The reaction of the audience was like that line of Roberta Flack's "...tellin my whole life with his words ... killing me softly with his song."

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
It's very moving, given that this was something she could not talk about during much of her professional life--and that it's now become something to both mention and celebrate during an award celebrating her lifetime of professional achievements. I really did have a little bit of vertigo during the speech.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Jodie Foster is awesome. She totally deserves that award and her speech was great. ^_^

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
I've been in love with Jodie Foster for decades, and my only regret is that I didn't have the opportunity to be the donor for her children.

From "The Accused" through "Little Man Tate" and "Contact" and all her films, she always showed a vulnerability and hurt intelligence that I could not resist. There are multitudes of physically beautiful women in the media, but very very few that have that emotional and spiritual appeal.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Odd, I haven't watched it yet. But the immediate reactions were "wtf is she talking about?" followed by "wtf was she talking about?" and now it's "that was beautiful."

I obviously need to watch the speech.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to finally sit down and watch Carnage. I think this was a good incentive to finally just do it.

I started to watch it and don't remember but I either got busy or it didn't grab me immediately. I'm not always as patient as I should be. I didn't recognize it by title, when you mentioned it, but I do remember it was about two sets of parents whose kids get into a fight in the park. One kid hits the other with a stick...

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I started to watch it and don't remember but I either got busy or it didn't grab me immediately. I'm not always as patient as I should be. I didn't recognize it by title, when you mentioned it, but I do remember it was about two sets of parents whose kids get into a fight in the park. One kid hits the other with a stick...

...and then the enormous conflict between "adults" that ensues from a relatively innocent conflict between children. At least that's how I understand the premise without having seen it.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
...and then the enormous conflict between "adults" that ensues from a relatively innocent conflict between children. At least that's how I understand the premise without having seen it.

Fair warning: If you're a sympathetic barfer, sit this one out.

It's a play that's been adapted into a movie, and it shows. I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more on the stage.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Fair warning: If you're a sympathetic barfer, sit this one out.

It's a play that's been adapted into a movie, and it shows. I think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more on the stage.

As a Glengarry Glen Ross fan, this doesn't deter me in the least. :)

No. No. Disney? No. No.

*virtual smack!*

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. Mine: that's a lot of overly harsh, overly judgmental bullshit.

Hmm... I wonder why else an actress who had at least two failed assassination attempts from "fans" wouldn't feel safe totally coming out to the public before now.

There are a lot of things I don't care for in that article.

Agreed.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who had to deal with all of the ramifications that, at age 18, she'd influenced someone enough that he was willing to kill the US president for her deserves to draw her own line as regards her public and private lives. Full stop.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. People (in masses) are too judgmental and self-centered is the problem, I think.

I do find it hilarious that lots of folks are going on about how she came out as single, not LGBT. I've read fierce comments about how folks see what they want to see. Oh, my! Reading comprehension, people. No wonder her earlier intentional clues didn't have huge articles written about them in the mainstream press.

I do seriously wonder whether it's appropriate to say she 'came out as gay'. She said her longtime former partner was her love. She could be bisexual, right? But that's totally her business and I'm not saying she needed to be clearer. I just wish the press would try harder if they are going to go there.

OTOH, if she were bisexual, she probably would have given a nod to that in her speech since the speech was about the big public thing demanded of stars (which sucks).

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane terrified me as a child, but Jodie Foster will always be Becky Thatcher to me.

Her body of work speaks for itself (for those of us who've seen it), from Bugsy Malone to The Silence of the Lamb, from Panic Room to The Accused to Nell. She's a gifted and versatile actress who thoroughly deserved a lifetime achievement award.

That said, most of her speech was rambling and confusing.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I watched her speech. It was a bit confusing; you had to read in a little bit. I'd heard the rumors over the years about her sexuality and her not addressing them and wishing to keep her private life separate from her public persona. (This has probably helped her to survive a very long career in Hollywood. To be able to literally grow up in that environment and not self destruct is admirable.)

The references to her mother seemed to point to some sort of reduced cognitive function, something so many of us can relate to or may be dealing with. Terribly sad. I thought it was a moving speech, if a little bit scattered.

She's entitled to her private life. Good for her. And she's a really talented actress, IMO.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The Little Girl Who Lived Down the Lane terrified me as a child, but Jodie Foster will always be Becky Thatcher to me.

Her body of work speaks for itself (for those of us who've seen it), from Bugsy Malone to The Silence of the Lamb, from Panic Room to The Accused to Nell. She's a gifted and versatile actress who thoroughly deserved a lifetime achievement award.

That said, most of her speech was rambling and confusing.

The profuse, polysyndetic chiasmus and antimetabole did carry a bewildering ethos.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think Foster is awesome with extra awesome sauce on top - and to the poster who didn't know anything she's done how about Contact? Little Man Tate? Panic Room? Home for the Holidays (best family holiday film ever)? Did we mention Taxi Driver, The Accused and Silence of the Lambs?! - but I don't get the 'she came out!' thing.

Aside from that it's never really been a secret, she 'came out' to about this same extent years ago, when she mentioned by name and defined relationship, her ex (who was then current I think), at an awards show.

As to that article - as one of the people he quotes notes, she never pretended to be anything she was not. She didn't hide her relationship, she just felt no need to go making public pronouncements about what sex she's most attracted to and that's not, last I checked, required.

His Gibson thing is ridiculous as well. I mean am I really meant to believe that though she has quite clearly and publically disagreed with things he's said and apparently believes, she hasn't stopped being personal friends with someone she's been close friends with for decades, she's putting her children at 'risk?' Of him yelling at them in some ridiculous tirade, no less. I'm so sure she'd allow that and he'd engage in it. I have no doubt Gibson is a fucking jackhole with issues. He also spent decades working with sets of hundreds of people without making fatal enemies out of them all, so he can clearly go an hour without screaming at random people for no reason.

Also, given her specific and special circumstance - that continues to this day, as Hinckley is both mostly free and still demonstrably interested in her - whatever she feels the need to do or not do w/re privacy, she gets a free fucking pass, as far as I'm concerned, on explaining it to anyone.