Going Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a trade published author and have just decided to diversify and self-publish some longish short stories relating to my main series while I finish off a few manuscripts. I'm just getting started on the initial research and commissioning cover artwork.

I'll be blogging about the project (first post went up today - there's a link in my signature) and also occasionally posting in here about the progress and process.

I'm looking forward to learning and seeing the difference between self-publishing and trade publishing - what works for both, what works better for one, if lowering the price of the short stories will impact the main series, etc.

I've been poking around in here the last couple weeks but will start lurking less.

*waves*

Deleted member 42

I'm a trade published author and have just decided to diversify and self-publish some longish short stories relating to my main series while I finish off a few manuscripts. I'm just getting started on the initial research and commissioning cover artwork.

I'd suggest double-and-triple checking your contract, including things about options, derivative works, formats, geographic areas, and characters.

If you have an agent, get said agent in on the loop, and talk to the publisher either way—some publishers, especially in SF/F and Romance, have cooperated enthusiastically in similar self-publishing projects, because derivative sales which don't cost the publishers anything often lead readers to purchase the backlist.

lindyhop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
setterby.weebly.com
Lauralam, going hybrid is my long-term (very, very long-term) goal as well. I'm sure a lot of other folks here are considering that route, too. Definitely keep us in the loop! And thanks!
Also your books look awesome. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I look forward to reading about how this works for you. The concept of being a hybrid author sounds appealing to me, especially if publishing works from the same universe. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I've checked with my publisher and my agent - we're all good to go. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Lauralam, going hybrid is my long-term (very, very long-term) goal as well. I'm sure a lot of other folks here are considering that route, too. Definitely keep us in the loop! And thanks!
Also your books look awesome. :)

Thank you! :)

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like the best of both worlds. I'd bookmark your SP diary for sure. Good luck!

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing useful to say except "Wow!" Can't wait to read more stories in the PANTOMIME universe. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

So, first bit of advice needed, please.

I contacted the cover artist for Pantomime & Shadowplay because I love his work (Tom Bagshaw if anyone's curious), and unfortunately, getting 4 covers, even if they're far simpler than the book covers, are beyond my budget. I have no idea how many of my normal readers will follow over to the shorter work, or how many new ones will pick them up. So paying for a cover that would take over 1000 sales to pay back...probably not the best business plan. :'(

So I'm thinking of doing some stock photography of the shorter work and perhaps saving up to get a fancy cover from Tom for the collection I'll do if these sell enough to merit making one (with a print version as well).

I like the simplicity of smoke on a dark background. But will that be good enough? The books are fantasy, and most have a darker undertone. They remind me of magic, and each short story is centered around a piece of Vestige, which is magic/technology left behind by an advanced civilisation.

Something similar to this, with a font and design that will be evocative of the book covers in my signature?
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/smoke-royalty-free-image/157051353

But I worry it's perhaps too vague?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps finding an artist on deviantart? I had a friend do a painting for one of the stories, but while I really like it, at first glance it doesn't look like the covers of my main series.

ETA: I have found the Art & Design forum so poking around in there, but any additional suggestions are still welcome in here! :)

Last edited:

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Yeah, the cover issue can be hard.

I like the link you shared with the caveat being how the words (title, your name). How that is handled could make the cover look fantastic and professional, or kill you. But it is a great base to build upon. :)

Another thing to consider with covers is whether or not it conveys your genre to the reader. I don't know a lot about what each genre demands except what everyone knows that romance should have a couple on the front, LOL! Still, I remember the early versions of the Twilight series had very simple covers like what you are considering so I think that is in your favor. As both are (loosely) fantasy (I mean Twilight and your books are not mystery, romance, horror, sci-fi, etc.)

Last edited:

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do like the simplicity of the smoke on the dark background. I have some friends who do graphic design so between them and my husband who's good at photoshop/illustrator/indesign, we should be able to get something that doesn't look super amateur.

I found a recent art graduate based in Tokyo on DeviantArt who's really talented, so I might get a comparative price quote. I was thinking having tarot cards that represent the archetype of the character each story is centered around could be interesting, with hints of the vestige and themes hidden in each card. That would link them together and tie into the existing book covers, plus create a theme that could be built upon for other stories.

lindyhop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
setterby.weebly.com
Hi lauralam, I like the smoke. It looks spooky, sensual, fantastical. But I'm not sure it says YA, circuses, or gaslight fantasy to me. In a way, it's so vague it makes me think erotica, maybe because the 50 Shades covers are so vague. Is smoke significant to the story at all?

I really like your tarot card idea though! It goes with the cards on your second cover and helps evoke the idea of circuses, etc. Plus there is so much fun depth to tarot cards that I think having a card symbolizing a character like that would add a fun extra layer to your stories. I'd love to see the pictures you have in mind for this.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I worry about that too re: erotica.

All four stories deal with intangibility - one of the stories has a piece of Vestige that can affect memory, another one is about a young girl who has terrifying visions tht come true, another is a boy who finds a mechanical minotaur that can lead him to clues to find his mother, who he thought was dead, and the last has drug addiction (the drug is smoked), and drug-addled dreams. So the smoke would work for all of them thematically.

There's also some smoke images with white backgrounds, which makes them look more innocent?
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/twisting-swathe-of-blue-smoke-royalty-free-image/167341654
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/puprle-smoke-wave-high-res-stock-photography/179408272

The main series is one the higher end of the YA spectrum. There's some sexual content, though it fades to black, and my protagonist of my books (not the stories) is intersex and bisexual and the series touches on various aspects of sexuality and gender.

Last edited:

lindyhop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
setterby.weebly.com
Those stories all sound awesome, first of all. But I'm afraid the white background doesn't make the smoke look more innocent to me. If anything, the purple one is somehow sexier. (Maybe that means I've been reading/writing too much smut lately? Haha)
I like the idea of representing intangibility through smoke, but I wonder if it would work better with something else in the cover, too, like a human face, silhouette, or hand... Or maybe gears, or a gas lamp, or something else sort of steampunk-y, to help tie the smoke into your setting. That sounds like it could get expensive fast, though. :-/

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I know! I have some time so I'll do some musing and figure something out.

RickieRi

Registered
Reaction score
Lauralam,

For your cover, too, it would be worth a call or email to your publisher to get the photoshop layer file from their cover design.

That way, you could use the same or similar fonts to the other covers you had.

Just keep that brand consistency going.

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Lauralam,

For your cover, too, it would be worth a call or email to your publisher to get the photoshop layer file from their cover design.

That way, you could use the same or similar fonts to the other covers you had.

Just keep that brand consistency going.

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you!

Lauralam doesn't need the "photoshop layer file" to use similar fonts to the ones her publishers used. If she works with a designer, that designer can do that for her.

Remember to ensure you have the rights to use those fonts in a commercial situation: fonts are provided under license, and we can't just assume we have the rights to use them on our book jackets just because we have them on our computers.

Laura, it is worth asking your agent (she's fab) about whether it would be appropriate to ask your publisher if they used a freelance designer to produce your book jackets: if so, you could commission them to produce jacket designs for your self-published works too. Just a thought.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I know the main font is Leander (with different sizes) and it's a free font.

I'll ask Juliet, as there's also a the image behind the SHADOWPLAY text on the cover (the occult eye ray fleuron vector thing) that I want to ask about. I have that particular design, but I want to know if there's others like it and where I could find more.

I don't think it was done free-lance, though - I think Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry/Exhibit A/Osprey (whew) have some in-house designers, and after they received the final image from the artist they finished it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.