Kevin Lee Swaim's self-publishing experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Some writers dream of fame and fortune. Heck, I'd just like to entertain someone. I'd like at least one person to say, "Thanks for the story. For at least a few hours, it transported me to a different place and for that time period, I forgot I fell into the story."

This is exactly how I feel about my writing! :) As artists, we are entertainers. That's what writing is all about, not the money and not the fame. (although, if those come along as well, I won't be complaining! ;))

Your description of your writing process made me laugh because I think we all can relate to that. I'm personally entering the first round of edits on my third book in my series and I'm at the "Why did I ever think this was a good idea" stage! The ranting, raving and throwing breakable objects stage will probably commence in shortly.

Best of luck with your journey. You're off to a fantastic start! You've also received some solid advice on your content here. I agree with most everything that's been said. If you don't feel comfortable with so much profanity, don't do it. If you don't want a sex scene, don't put it in. You have control over that. Use it. :)

I would like to add one little anecdote from my own series, if I may. I write suspense novels that are character-driven and have a touch of romance in them. While I was writing the first book, I had to decide whether or not I was going to include sex in the series. After a long debate with myself, I finally decided that adding the sex would do nothing to move the story along. I discovered that I could deepen the characters' relationship that was in question without adding an ultimately pointless sex scene. Will this cost me readers? Only time will tell, but so far it doesn't appear to. In my case, I didn't add it because it didn't make sense in the context of my characters or goals for the book. Only you know what you want to accomplish with your characters. Follow your gut and write them the way you feel led to write them. And remember, it's YOUR name on that book. If you don't feel comfortable with what's in it, then change it. :)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Sounds like you are off to an amazing start! It's very exciting to read the journeys and see how things are working for everyone!

Best of luck with your continued sales and future titles! :D

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just thought of this. If you are self-pub it's an easy fix to remove the profanity and upload the file again. :)

klswaim

Learning to love rejection...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kevinleeswaim.blogspot.com
I received my review from the San Francisco Book Review. Obviously, I should have submitted this before I published, so I could have had it on the author page on Amazon, but I didn't know what I was doing.

I did like this line:

..., I hit the ending, where Swaim smashes the reader in the face with a large brick. Once done, still shaking my head from impact, I decided that I’d enjoyed that.

I still have no idea if the review was worth the money, but I sure couldn't afford the Kirkus review.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I received my review from the San Francisco Book Review. Obviously, I should have submitted this before I published, so I could have had it on the author page on Amazon, but I didn't know what I was doing.

I still have no idea if the review was worth the money, but I sure couldn't afford the Kirkus review.

Why can't you add it to your author page on Amazon? I make changes to that page all the time.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
My bad, I meant that I didn't get it added before the book went live. I should have requested the review 2 months before the book release, so that I could have had it on the author page when the book went live.

Also, I could have had it added to the back page of the paperback.

Ah well, live and learn....

I hear you on that one. but you know, if you're doing a page of endorsements, you'll probably want more than one anyway. I'm waiting until I have 10 and then I'll add them to the FRONT of the book.

The reason for endorsements isn't to hide them in the back. Look at the trade published books like yours, I think you'll see that they're often the first page after the cover. They're there b/c that's where larger buyers look when determining numbers to purchase.

If you did just createspace books it's free to update the interior. But if you use LSI and CS (like me) there's a fee.

Your cover rocks by the way.

ETA: Ah, I think you meant the back cover of your paperback. I get it. Yeah, that's a good place for the endorsement too. But a page of them in the front is common as well.

Last edited:

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear how well its going. On the profanity and sex issue, if it is art of a characters nature or part of your story, that is one thing. But gratuitously tossing it in is wrong.
Advice is always free to toss. And trust me, I have some characters that cuss like crazy and others that never utter damn.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As you already had a self-publishing diary thread going I've merged your new thread into it, kls. Let's stick to just one thread each, please.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread in the FAQ room which might help you with the images in your signature: they are a bit on the porky side.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Kevin, that's awesome. I'm glad you were happy with your experience with them.

I'm a little confused though. I saw YOUR praise of them on FB, but I can't find THEIR praise of your book. I check their website and put both the name of your book and your name in the search engine and got no results. Where is the review of your book posted?

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks Kevin! It was a great review. I don't usually read this genre (but I make occasional exceptions). Still this review made me want to give your book a try. :) This is my favorite part of the review:

After a while I had gotten used to the constant rush and then BAM, I hit the ending, where Swaim smashes the reader in the face with a large brick. Once done, still shaking my head from impact, I decided that I’d enjoyed that.

Congrats on a great review, and what sounds like a great book too!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The images in your signature have slimmed down a lot, Kevin. Thanks! (If only I could lose so much weight so quickly. Ah, well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.