Chapters should always start on the right side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
It used to be, from my experience, that the chapters in books were always typeset so that each one began on the right side of the opened book, on an odd page number. So I followed that practice.

But recently I’ve noticed that most books have chapters beginning on either the right or left side of the book. Is this the new normal practice?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I did a random check of my collection, and they all start on a right-hand page. But the last print book I bought was Mockingjay, so I probably don't fit the category...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The convention is for chapters to start on the right-hand (recto) page, yes. I think this is for historical production reasons, but these days the same constraints don't apply, so you could start things on the verso page if you like... I probably wouldn't? And indeed none of the fiction titles I'm working on right now will be like that.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Although I just published my first, I start all chapters on the right hand (recto) side. If that means I have to have a blank page adjacent on the Verso page, so be it, I'll insert a blank page.
To me, personally, it presents uniformity and I like that. Obviously, ebooks are different.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I use Lyx to typeset, and it starts all new chapters on the right page.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I think it depends on the book genre and who's publishing the book. Some books have it on the right page, some just start in on a new page, whichever side it might be, and others start the new chapter a couple lines down from the previous chapter.

So... do whichever feels best in regards to what fits your genre?

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't something I notice without looking for it, but I just picked up my nearest book -- Divergent -- and chapters start on both sides.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
This isn't something I notice without looking for it, but I just picked up my nearest book -- Divergent -- and chapters start on both sides.

That's strange. Really strange.

All 10 of the books currently within arm's reach have chapters that start recto, with a blank page if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.