Status
Not open for further replies.

aguywhotypes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abstractsbybrian.com
So I'm looking through the Genre..

I guess this isn't exactly a genre as a format, yes?

Where do I go to discuss the epistolary novel.. all things, how to write one.. examples.. help.. etc etc?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You could try the novel forum. Or if you have intended genre (mystery, sci-fi, mainstream), you could discuss it there.

You can even discuss it here. Maybe someone with more familiarity with the style will be along to help.

The only epistolary novel I've ever read was Dracula.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Gaahhh! I have been searching for a thread like this!! I LOVE epistolic novels (even though spell check doesn't like the spelling).

I will talk to you about them!!! I will!

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Also, "Frankenstein". I have seen other novels insert epistolary (epistolic?) items, such as news articles, radio broadcasts and more recently, emails, no supplement the story. I find it a good way to "Info Dump" without sounding like that's what you are doing. If presented properly, I enjoy that technique and have used it in some of my writing. "Dracula" was basically the reading of the protagonist's journal that he wrote (as well as other related correspondences) during his adventure.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Here's an oldie but a goodie- The Griffin and Sabine trilogy- it's fully illustrated with letters that you actually take out of the envelopes and read. I only ever bought the first one- it was out when I was in High School so they were kind of rich for my blood.

I also just found a Middle Grade epistolic called 43 Old Cemetery Road Dying to Meet You by Kate Kliss.

And depending on how high your tolerance for YA novels Lauren Myracle wrote a series of books told through Instant Messaging.

I LOVED 84 Charring Cross (though it's non-fiction) and I'm going to hit the library today for Ella Minnow Pea! Thanks for the tip on that one!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin

Alice Walker's The Color Purple (Celie's letters are addressed to God).

Both play with and possibly subvert the form to an extent, but both are still epistolary novels.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Got on the wait list for Ella Minnow- #2... There are 5 checked in copies in the library system! How am I #2?

Found a few more after digging through my amazon wishlist;
A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty (there's a sequel too- it's another YA)
S. by J.J. Abrams

And POSSIBLY: Tainaron-Mail from another City. I have this one but I haven't read it. It's a one way correspondence I believe.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I also like this style. Epistolary novels I've read and enjoyed:

Clara Callan by Richard B. Wright
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

You can search for specifically epistolary novels on Goodreads, here.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I got my copy of Ella Minnow Pea- just in time to be leaving town on Thursday! LOL! (I'm only going to take my Kindle with me).

I also started on my own upper MG epistolic. I am hoping not to fail miserably...

Status
Not open for further replies.