Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm nearing the climax of my MG fantasy and thanks to the all night write in tonight, I might come close to finishing that and my other NaNo WIP this week! :D

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm nearing the climax of my MG fantasy and thanks to the all night write in tonight, I might come close to finishing that and my other NaNo WIP this week! :D

Congratulations! I'm NaNo-ing today in the hope of catching up. My weekend goal is an ambitious 10,000 words.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I never "won" NaNo, but always enjoyed the experience of focus on my creative work. Keep going, NaNoWriMos. It isn't over yet.

I have heard great things about Catching Fire, the movie. I want to see this. It was my favorite book of the series. The kids are a bit reticent, as only one has read the book. The other wishes he could read it before seeing the movie. After Hunger Games, the best part was talking about the differences in the book vs. the movie afterwards. I agree that was awesome.

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going to see Catching Fire today! Woot!
I thought the first movie did a pretty decent job. Not as good as the book of course, but The Shawshank Redemption is the only instance where I've ever thought the movie was better than the book.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
My daughter saw it Thursday night at midnight and said it was fantastic. She said it's worth paying for twice to see in the theater.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

I haven't even seen Hunger Games yet but I think I'll wait till I can get it cheaply on dvd. (Used to have one of those dvd rental subscriptions but I never got round to sending them back and it ended up costing us a lot more than it would have cost to just buy the damn things.)
I want to wait a few years and watch it with my daughter, anyway.

Am currently spending far too much money on books for researching WIP, also dvds.

Good luck to all the NaNo-ists. Hope it's still going well.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Can't wait to see CF. EVERYONE is talking about how amazing it is and what a great/believable performance JLawrence and Josh Hutcherson give in this one. Gah! So. Excited! People are saying it was BETTER than the book.

Tainted boo, I thought the Host movie was better than book (even if the acting and script were slightly cheesy at times).

Off for 4 days for a very much needed vacay. Going to a hotel/resort for two nights with a water park (we've been there once and the girls are out of their minds excited) and then we are going to Culebra where we have a villa that is right on the beach. Got great prices on everything. Culebra is supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. If you never hear from me again, it may be because I've decided to keep my family there in a homemade hut and live off fish and coconuts. ;)

Have a great TG holiday!!!!

SkylarJade

Registered
Reaction score
Morning everyone!

I keep hearing such good things about Catching Fire. I may need to go see it this upcoming weekend.

I hope everyone doing Nano is having a good time. The end is almost here. Just five more days of mad dashing to cross that finish line and type out as many words as possible!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Have a great vacation, Mel!

I'm jealous of ALL OF YOU for seeing Catching Fire. I had to ban myself from Twitter for a while. I was deeply disappointed in THG movie at first, despite loving all the choices of actors. I've since watched it a few more times and it has grown on me, even though it pales in comparison with the book as far as depth goes.

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
wampuscat I think this movie was DEFINITELY way better than the first one!

So glad to hear that. I was a bit disappointed in the first movie. I enjoyed it and everything, but I just enjoyed the book a lot more. But that's normally how those things go.

I know it's not YA, but did anyone else watch the White Queen? I actually thought the tv series was better than the book series it was based on.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I watched The White Queen and have read the first book and bits of the other two it's based on.

Not crazy about either but I like that they had a hot Richard III.

I prefer Early Philippa Gregory to Late Philippa Gregory tbh - I think she was more original and a better storyteller earlier on. Now she just writes these long epics which get a bit episodic. I still really admire her use of historical detail to create atmosphere, though, and I like that she puts new twists on familiar stories even if sometimes they are historically 'wrong'.

TaintedBoo

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm jealous of ALL OF YOU for seeing Catching Fire. I had to ban myself from Twitter for a while. I was deeply disappointed in THG movie at first, despite loving all the choices of actors. I've since watched it a few more times and it has grown on me, even though it pales in comparison with the book as far as depth goes.
The second movie is much better, they seem to have found their footing. I'm in agreement with you on the first movie. I liked it, didn't love it after a few views, but it still lacked that emotional punch.
I've always loved the casting choices, and love the choices for CF too.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score

I was disappointed too. I expected so much more, but movies rarely meet my standards after I read the book.

My husband and I were supposed to watch Catching Fire this weekend, but we ended up deciding to wait until my birthday on Friday or maybe today or tomorrow (to try to avoid the Black Friday crowds). I'm more excited about this one now that I've heard some great reviews, on here and from my Facebook friends.

I knew I'd never finish Nano this year, but it has motivated me to write. Unfortunately, it's now telling me I'll "finish" on Feb. 20. LOL That's not particularly inspiring, but I got words on a page, so that's good, right? :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, I'm due to finish on the 1st Dec, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to finish before that so...

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Catching Fire was amazing! I love how Jennifer Lawerence portrays so much with just her eyes in the very last scene. You see just a little of Katniss die and the Mockingjay emerge.

Of course, movies are never as good as books, but Catching Fire comes close. I think, and I'm just guessing here, that Divergent the movie will be better than Divergent the book. For some reason, I liked the story, but I just couldn't connect with the characters. I feel like the actors will give it more depth. Guess we'll see.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Divergent the movie ought to be better than the book. The action scenes will really come into their own and I think you're right about the extra depth the actors can bring. If they're good.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Um, my revision just took a left turn and a half over the past couple of days. I don't even know if it's going to work or if I'm going to have to turn back and figure something else out. Kiiiinda nervous. But I guess I'll find out if it's crap sooner if I keep plugging along, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.