Not open for further replies.

RemusShepherd

Banned
Flounced
VPXI
Reaction score
Website
remus-shepherd.livejournal.com
Someone recommended to me the science fiction novel Stand On Zanzibar, and I'm enjoying it a lot. So much, in fact, that I'd like to adopt some of its techniques for my WIP. (Which is the spirit in which the person recommended it to me.)

John Brunner, in Stand On Zanzibar, duplicates the style of literary writer John Dos Passos, who had distinct sections with continuous narrative, interwoven vignettes, and a montage of context-providing information. Both of these authors borrowed this from the 'mosaic writing' style of Harold Innis. The key quote referring to the Innis mosaic writing technique is from Marshall McLuhan: "Faced with information overload, we have no alternative but pattern recognition."

That's what I want -- short sections of immersive mosaics that subtly provide exposition, by forcing my readers to use pattern recognition to piece together fragments of my backstory.

The only problem is that I don't know how to do it.

Oh, I could blunder forward and use Brunner's example as a template. But I thought I'd ask here first, on the off chance that an authority can give me some pointers. Anyone have any tips on mosaic writing? Has anyone tried blitzing their readers with so much information that they are forced to feel it, rather than commit it to comprehensible memory?

If this question has everyone confused, I might attempt some examples in a SYW forum and ask for opinions.

AlekT

Alexander
Registered
Reaction score
I remember (vaguely) reading Dos Passos in college English. I've also read Brunner, though not "Zanzibar." You might want to read or scan Dos Passos' "USA Trilogy," see how he uses the mosaic method, and see if it fits your needs. Maybe experiment with it a bit.

The "USA Trilogy" includes "The 42nd Parallel," "Nineteen Nineteen," and "The Big Money." Dos Passos uses four intersperced techniques or "narratives": (1) life stories of several characters, (2) newsreel-type historical accounts, (3) biograpies of historical characters, and (4) something he called the "Camera Eye" -- a sort of stream of consciouseness. I don't think you need to follow that exact style, but it would provide some examples to play on.

I'd be interested in your results. More experimentation with style on this site, and fiction in general, would be a refreshing change. It's so easy to fall into a formula with writing, especially when the overriding concern is publication.

Good Luck with your writing.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Stand on Zanzibar, The Sheep Look Up, The Shockwave Rider-- read a lot of PK Dick, & John Brunner when I was in High School. I'll have to look into the Mosaic method.

tammay

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I did a little research on mosaic writing (a Yahoo search, actually) and from the sound of it, it might be similar to what I am doing with one of my novels, to a certain extent. I'm not integrating portions of different types of narrative like Dos Passos but I am telling the story of 3 characters with sections from each of their points of view, and their stories are separate but also intertwine with one another. For example, the main story is about the fragile relationship between members of a wealthy family that deteriorates when a nurse comes to take care of the dying grandfather and comes to replace the children of the family in the mother's eyes. The story is told from the point of view of the daughter of the family, the son of the family, and the nurse. They all have their own stories on how they are dealing with the turn of events. For example, the daughter's story involves not just coping with watching how the nurse comes to take her place in the family but also tells how she discovers an alternative "family" in a strange club of women dancers (not very well explained, but that's the best I can do for now :)).

The way I'm writing the story is having alternative chapters from each of the 3 character's points of view. The first chapter is from the daughter's point of view, then the story continues from the son's point of view (but also follows him independent of the story at hand), then the third from the nurse's point of view, etc.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.