How is word count determined in a screenplay

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I did a search for this and couldn't find anything. Can anyone please tell me how word count is determined for a screen-play? I am not at all familiar with how to ascertain such (although, with novels, it would seem obvious.)

As screenplays employ different indentation and formatting templates (particularly action and dialogue, as well as scene-headers and character names above dialogue), I have no idea how to even begin.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone cares about the word count in a screenplay. The measurement is usually in pages, where one page equals roughly one minute of screen time. 90 pages = a 90 minute movie.

That said, I just looked at a couple of mine, which both came in at close to 100 pages and they had 18,000 and 23,000 words respectively.

I'll stick to a page count!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've generally heard to keep a spec script to 110 pages or less, if that helps.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. I was just curious whether screenplays were measured the same way as novels when considering how much (if any) to post here in SYW.

I haven't really determined yet whether I want to go that route, but should I opt to do so, I would want my submission to fall within the parameters established by AW.

On a second, somewhat related question...

I see that most persons who post to SYW submit the beginning of their stories. My personal preference would be to submit something from the middle of the screenplay (for various reasons). Would such be permissible? If not, I understand.

BTW, the current, most recent revision of my screenplay is exactly 110 pages. :)

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
So long as it's ten pages or under, it doesn't matter what segment you post. Most people post openings because it's generally the most important bit to get right.

The main thing to do is read through some earlier threads on here to see what sort of feedback to expect.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
So long as it's ten pages or under, it doesn't matter what segment you post. Most people post openings because it's generally the most important bit to get right.

Thank you.

If I were to submit a scene, one of my reasons for wanting to submit something from the middle (as opposed to the beginning) involves my preference to avoid revealing the story's hook.

As I would prefer to submit a complete, uninterrupted scene, and given that the nature of the hook is apparent in almost every scene of the film, I am restricted to one scene at the middle of the story.

Secondly, the film's opening sequence, a bizarre, fast-paced lead-in (which introduces the story's hook) stands apart from the essence of the rest of the film, and therefore would not (IMO) be an appropriate basis on which to judge the substance of the film.

The main thing to do is read through some earlier threads on here to see what sort of feedback to expect.

Thank you. I have been doing that. :)

Were I to submit anything, I would want honest feedback. That would be the whole point.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. The segment I am considering is six pages.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
What exactly are you looking for? Comments on your ability to format? To write dialogue? To write action?

For one thing, you aren't presenting a "film". Your screenplay will never be a film unless your screenplay is great or you film it yourself.

Screenwriting is a craft, one that can be improved upon, but it's not filmmaking. Directors "author" films, not screenwriters. Filmmaking is as collaborative as pro-baseball -- a team effort.

Post whatever pages you want to -- just be clear about what you're seeking so that people can assist you.

But just so you know, when managers/production companies/pro readers pick up a screenplay, they look at the first ten pages (at most). If those pages don't grab them, they seldom read on.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
But just so you know, when managers/production companies/pro readers pick up a screenplay, they look at the first ten pages (at most). If those pages don't grab them, they seldom read on.

Thank you. Yes, I understand that. The producers to whom I would be submitting would have first seen the log-line and a synopsis, revealing the essence of the story and the hook which I think distinguishes it from others of its ilk.

Seven (whom having seen such, over the past 3 years) were interested enough to request the screenplay, however, upon receipt of such, six of the seven never responded at all.

Given that they liked the premise (three actually found the premise quite interesting and intriguing -- their words), that they did not respond at all after getting the script leads me to think that...

A) The screenplay sucked. Progression, pace, dialogue, whatever.

B) The screenplay didn't suck, but upon further review of the execution of the premise, it wasn't what they were expecting, and not so interesting/intriguing after all.

C) The screenplay didn't suck but upon further review, it wasn't found to be practically executable. (As I wrote in my introduction to the AW last week, I fully realize that I "boxed myself into a corner... as, while I believe it would appeal to a very wide audience (of all ages), its production would most definitely fall within a certain niche, one with which many in the industry would not have experience."

As I have not received a single comment, I cannot ascertain which of the above reasons (or others I have not considered) it might be.

What exactly are you looking for? Comments on your ability to format? To write dialogue? To write action?

Given what I've written above, I suppose whether or not point A is correct -- particularly as I don't see how anyone could comment regarding points B or C, as neither could be readily ascertained from a single, 6-page sequence.

In hindsight I wish I waited to submit to producers. Having completed the revisitation of my decades-old screenplay in Dec. 2010, I was anxious, upon completion to submit it.

Big mistake.

I have subsequently rewritten it 43 times (considering any single revision which altered 5% or more as a new version). Most of the producers to whom I sent the script received earlier, inferior versions. While, at the time, I thought they were good, in hindsight (having improved upon them), I know they were not.

Incidentally, there was an eighth producer who requested the script (between producers #4 and #5), but actually got back to me on more than one occasion, apologizing that he hasn't had the time to read it -- other projects and distractions consuming his time. I thanked him for his consideration and politely requested that should the opportunity and inclination for him to ever review it at some point down the road avail itself, that he might consider doing so.

Last edited:

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I understand that. The producers to whom I would be submitting would have first seen the log-line and a synopsis, revealing the essence of the story and the hook which I think distinguishes it from others of its ilk.

Seven (whom having seen such, over the past 3 years) were interested enough to request the screenplay, however, upon receipt of such, six of the seven never responded at all.

Given that they liked the premise (three actually found the premise quite interesting and intriguing -- their words), that they did not respond at all after getting the script leads me to think that...

A) The screenplay sucked. Progression, pace, dialogue, whatever.

B) The screenplay didn't suck, but upon further review of the execution of the premise, it wasn't what they were expecting, and not so interesting/intriguing after all.

C) The screenplay didn't suck but upon further review, it wasn't found to be practically executable. (As I wrote in my introduction to the AW last week, I fully realize that I "boxed myself into a corner... as, while I believe it would appeal to a very wide audience (of all ages), its production would most definitely fall within a certain niche, one with which many in the industry would not have experience."

As I have not received a single comment, I cannot ascertain which of the above reasons (or others I have not considered) it might be.

Given what I've written above, I suppose whether or not point A is correct -- particularly as I don't see how anyone could comment regarding points B or C, as neither could be readily ascertained from a single, 6-page sequence.

In hindsight I wish I waited to submit to producers. Having completed the revisitation of my decades-old screenplay in Dec. 2010, I was anxious, upon completion to submit it.

Big mistake.

I have subsequently rewritten it 43 times (considering any single revision which altered 5% or more as a new version). Most of the producers to whom I sent the script received earlier, inferior versions. While, at the time, I thought they were good, in hindsight (having improved upon them), I know they were not.

Incidentally, there was an eighth producer who requested the script (between producers #4 and #5), but actually got back to me on more than one occasion, apologizing that he hasn't had the time to read it -- other projects and distractions consuming his time. I thanked him for his consideration and politely requested that should the opportunity and inclination for him to ever review it at some point down the road avail itself, that he might consider doing so.

Well, your next step should just be to go ahead and post your pages, though EVEN if someone liked your logline, and synopsis, they're not going to wade through a script to get to the good stuff -- it's got to grab them from page one. Pros, who have produced work, have the luxury of slow starts -- no one in the spec world does.

So, let's see what you've got. You probably should post both your logline and synopsis along with the pages, too.

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Well, your next step should just be to go ahead and post your pages, though EVEN if someone liked your logline, and synopsis, they're not going to wade through a script to get to the good stuff -- it's got to grab them from page one. Pros, who have produced work, have the luxury of slow starts -- no one in the spec world does.

Thank you.

My reason for not posting the opening sequence is not that I don't think it's good (or inferior to the scene I'm considering), but because it reveals the nature of the hook, which I do not feel comfortable publicly disclosing at this point. :)

So, let's see what you've got. You probably should post both your logline and synopsis along with the pages, too.

I prefer not to post the logline and synopsis for the same reason that I prefer not to post the opening scene. :(

Last edited:

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. I would be far more inclined to submit a logline & synopsis, privately by email, as opposed to openly in a public forum. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just sayin', if it isn't obvious, Share Your Work isn't strictly a public forum by virtue of its being passworded and only accessible to AW members. Casual surfers and bots can't see SYW. There's nothing wrong with being shy about sharing your logline and script pages, though, some folks just don't like to do that.

-Derek

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Wordcount

1) Go to website with film scrips online
2) Find half a dozen pre-shoot drafts of films you know
3) Copy-paste/convert into Word
4) profit wordcount
5) Study structure and pacing
6) Profit

Correct format

Some of you may have figured this out yourselves, but I'll say it again:
There is no strict standard format for feature screenplays.
Despite all of the self-proclaimed "experts" you've talked to in the film schools, on the Internet and elsewhere, the ones who stubbornly insist that every screenplay must have exact margin settings, or that such and such should always be capitalized and that you must never-never-never use parenthetical stage directions in your dialog captions... the real truth is:
There is NO strict standard format for feature screenplays. The so-called formatting "standard"
varies from script to script, writer to writer.
Take a quick look at a few "selling draft" screenplays (real screenplays, mind you, not the kind published in book form) and you'll see that the evidence bears me out. The differences in format may not be huge, but there are differences nonetheless.
So what does this mean?
For one thing, it means we can now free ourselves of some of the worry about margins and capitalization and get on with what's really important in screenwriting: telling a story. It also means that learning proper format is an extremely simple task. All we need to concern ourselves with now is looking at what all of these selling draft scripts have in common. The common ground upon which they meet is where we'll find a very loose set of rules to guide us.
Close Is Good Enough
Many people will shudder when they read the above statement. But when it comes to formatting a screenplay, close is definitely good enough, because producers, agents and readers aren't about to read your script with a rule book in hand.
If your story is killer (and they all want killer stories), then it won't matter that you may have strayed a bit with your format -- as long as it looks close enough to what they're used to seeing. I've had scripts turned down for any number of reasons, but I've never had one rejected because I deviated from proper format.
But let me be clear. When I say deviate, I don't mean using red ink on violet paper. Industry readers may not use a ruler, but they will shy away from the script that "looks" funny. If it's obvious on first glance that the margins are far too narrow, or there aren't any scene captions visible, or that your font of choice is "crayon," your script will be regarded with suspicion.
The trick to formatting without headaches is to simply approximate the look of the average screenplay.
And by following the few loose rules that all professional screenplays have in common, you'll never have to worry about the format police again.
Before we get into the actual nuts and bolts of screenplay formatting, let me tell you about one important thing that will endear you to every agent, producer or reader who happens to have a close encounter with your script:
White Space
Leaving lots of white space on the page is extremely important. Keep the paragraphs short and surrounded by healthy margins. Instead of crowding words on the page, allow them to breathe. Readers like that breathing room.
From How to Format Your Screenplay Like a Pro
by Robert Gregory-Browne

Last edited:

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. I was just curious whether screenplays were measured the same way as novels when considering how much (if any) to post here in SYW.

I haven't really determined yet whether I want to go that route, but should I opt to do so, I would want my submission to fall within the parameters established by AW.

Novels and screenplays have little in common in regards to appearance and format, though they both take great lengths in establishing characters and following a structure... in their own ways.

That said, word count may be important to novels, but useless to screenplays where page count (which generally varies from genre to genre) is king.

On a second, somewhat related question...

I see that most persons who post to SYW submit the beginning of their stories. My personal preference would be to submit something from the middle of the screenplay (for various reasons). Would such be permissible? If not, I understand.

BTW, the current, most recent revision of my screenplay is exactly 110 pages. :)

Posting something from th middle of your SP may be exceptable, but may also be harder to comment on. Yes, readers will comment on your format and individual scene's strengths, but it's hard to get a grasp on things when the reader doesn't know what happened earlier.

If you need advice on your middle pages, then post them with a quicky summary of what has happened in your story leading up to middle scenes in question. It would help the reader get a feel for what is going on. Sure, just reading passages from the middle of your script without any lead-in will get you comments, but filling in some of the blanks may help the reader see what the scenes in question are about in context to the overall story.

Last edited:

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. :)

Posting something from th middle of your SP may be exceptable, but may also be harder to comment on. Yes, readers will comment on your format and individual scene's strengths, but it's hard to get a grasp on things when the reader doesn't know what happened earlier.

Posting the beginning of my screenplay (apart from revealing the hook which I'm trying to avoid doing), would really not help let the reader know what the story is about either, as the beginning of the SP is not related to the primary, 12th century period story (which comprises the bulk of the film), but a quick-paced, bizarre lead-in used to #1) have a quick-paced, bizarre lead-in and #2) to introduce the film's hook.

If you need advice on your middle pages, then post them with a quicky summary of what has happened in your story leading up to middle scenes in question. It would help the reader get a feel for what is going on. Sure, just reading passages from the middle of your script without any lead-in will get you comments, but filling in some of the blanks may help the reader see what the scenes in question are about in context to the overall story.

That's what I've been doing throughout the day. Trying to get a possible submission ready. I'll have to see how it turns out. I am trying to leave out nothing essential, particularly as pertaining to the characters appearing in the submitted scene -- so that a reader might better understand dialogue delivery (which is essential in reading comedy).

A single line can be delivered a multitude of different ways, depending upon word emphasis, tone, facial expression and/or other bodily gestures -- none of which (to my knowledge) are generally part of a script (at least not on a line-by-line basis -- as far as any SP's I've seen).

Thanks again. Every response to this thread has been helpful.

Last edited: