You can underestimate how annoying this is, but you probably shouldn't.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Just the past few years, I've been noticing an odd syntactical error. Haven't seen it in print, but I've heard it quite a bit. Perhaps a brief note here will help a few people avoid committing this particular error in writing.

If you want to indicate that something is very, very important (or very, very something), a common expression is: "You can't overestimate how important this is."

What I've been hearing instead is: "You can't underestimate how important this is." The speaker is saying the opposite of what he means. Either he's confused about what "underestimate" and "overestimate" mean, or what "can't" means. The sentence would make sense if "can't" meant either "shouldn't" or "mustn't".

Anyway, don't do this.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe it's meant as a proscription:

"You can't underestimate how important this is."

/pedant

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I could care less about this error people make.

;)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I look at errors of that ilk as indicators of the thinking of the people who say such things, so I find such errors useful, even though they are nonsensical.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Can't underestimate?
Irregardless?
Penultimate?

Leeeeeeeeeeeet's get 'em! :mob

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Penultimate is a perfectly good word! It means the one before the last one.

Yeah, what's the problem with "penultimate?" I love that word!

As for the OP, I got nuthin', except what corny beat me to saying. ;)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep - penultimate is a brilliant example of how the correct word can do the job of four, five or six.

Last edited:

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Furthermore, without penultimate, you can't have antepenultimate, and then what do you do when you want to talk about something two before the end?

Avert this tragedy! Defend peniultimate to the last one before the last!

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ooooooh- peniultimate conjures up all sorts of weird images. :snoopy:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Furthermore, without penultimate, you can't have antepenultimate, and then what do you do when you want to talk about something two before the end?

And we couldn't have the wonderful Madeira M'Dear by Flanders & Swann! What would the world come to?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many folk are wondering who Flanders and Swann are/were? :cry:

Saw them in the theatre many times at variety shows.

London Transport Omnibus and Hippopotamus song were also theirs I believe.

And we couldn't have the wonderful Madeira M'Dear by Flanders & Swann! What would the world come to?

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com

It's my understanding that nowadays the whippersnappers use something called the Interweb to access a thing called YewTube, or something like that. (I think it's made of wood? But like a seashell you can hear the ocean in?) Apparently this tube of yew allows them to listen to music they haven't encountered before.

My son and I were comparing terrible love songs. I played him Tom Lehrer's "I Hold Your Hand In Mine", and won.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just the past few years, I've been noticing an odd syntactical error. Haven't seen it in print, but I've heard it quite a bit. Perhaps a brief note here will help a few people avoid committing this particular error in writing.

If you want to indicate that something is very, very important (or very, very something), a common expression is: "You can't overestimate how important this is."

What I've been hearing instead is: "You can't underestimate how important this is." The speaker is saying the opposite of what he means. Either he's confused about what "underestimate" and "overestimate" mean, or what "can't" means. The sentence would make sense if "can't" meant either "shouldn't" or "mustn't".

Anyway, don't do this.
I must be in some sense a connoisseur of the English language and its quirks. I've seen this kind of thing (perhaps not so much in print as spoken) for a long time.

There was a Saturday Night Live skit based on this, involving a nuclear reactor. I found a description of the general "ambiguous statement" here, as well as a comment describing the SNL skit with both of the statements the skit uses:
http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/2004/03/i_dont_think_it.html
Saturday Night Live did a sketch, some years back, based on the ambiguity in the parting words of a nuclear plant manager: "You can't put too much water in the reactor." The people on shift argued over whether that meant that any amount of water isn't too much, or that too much water in the reactor was a bad idea. They ended up guessing (wrong, of course), and the manager, surveying the ensuing mushroom cloud from a cafe miles away, remarked to the waitress, "You can't stare too long at a nuclear explosion," leaving her scratching her head. Ba da bum
It's this episode from November 17, 1984:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0694470/

When it comes to humor in reference to language (and not just from the SNL skit, but with what this thread has (d)evolved into), I recall that George Carlin often joked about words and their meanings in his skits.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
My son and I were comparing terrible love songs. I played him Tom Lehrer's "I Hold Your Hand In Mine", and won.

But are you sorry now you killed [insert gender appropriate pronoun for spouse here], for your love was something grand?

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score

Saw them in the theatre many times at variety shows.

London Transport Omnibus and Hippopotamus song were also theirs I believe.

"The amorous Hippopotamus,
Whose last song we know,
Is now married
And father of ten."

My exposure was from my father, who brought back two albums from London after one of his business trips in the 1960's. At the Drop of a Hat, and At the Drop of Another Hat. I was ruined at a young age.

(Not to mention the 78 rpm shellac records of Spike Jones that came with the 1920 RCA Victor Talking Machine)

[sniffle] Kids these days ...

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah - those were the days...Spike Jones and the City Slickers...