Could anyone help me with this?

nicoleM

Registered
Reaction score
A production company liked one of my loglines and asked me to revert back with a detailed synopsis. But they also asked me to tell them, in one-two pages no less, "what motivated you to tell this story".

Now I hate such questions. What do they care what motivated me? I've never come across a prodco asking this. And if I tell them the truth (because I thought this script can be turned into a profitable movie?), it's just not gonna work. I really suck at answering questions like these. Could anyone give me some bs that I could feed them? The script is a low-budget character-driven superhero story.

I know this is a strange request but help a brother out. Good karma and what not.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"I had a story in me that was demanding to be let out"

Then ask them for some context. What are they looking for? Maybe they're looking for something they can use in an "author's introduction", in which case write something blurby.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
http://goodinaroom.com/blog/the-bes...-question-how-did-you-come-up-with-this-idea/

You are being asked this question because your source of inspiration is part of what gives the executive confidence in you and your work. In other words, the executive is evaluating you and your project based on the quality of your idea’s genesis story.
The hidden question is: Are you the right person for the job?
Here’s How To Answer: Demonstrate Your Expertise

Your expertise is of great interest to the decision-maker and that makes them listen carefully to your answer.
A good answer starts like this:

• “I’ve seen just about every vampire movie that’s ever been made, and I realized that all of the successful ones had three things in common….”

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
(because I thought this script can be turned into a profitable movie?).

Why did you think that, though?

Because ultimately, people don't take on screenplays hoping to go broke. I've met enough people in the biz who appreciate those who understand that it's a business. Or the old, 'unique angle on' ...

Last edited: