Confession: I Love DK Guides

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I know these are aimed at children, but I confess that I love these books for research. Sometimes they're better than adult books for getting the everyday details of cultures.

I recently bought a Greece and Roman one from a second-hand bookshop and discovered a Bible Lands title. It arrived this morning and not only does it contain those everyday details, but a detailed plan of Herodium (essential for my next WIP.) :D

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh what are these? I don't think I know about them.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They have the best illustrations, especially of ancient cities and battlegrounds.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about this series (sounds wonderful!), but when starting a new research project on any topic, I often go to the kids' section of the library to see what's there on the topic. This generally gives me a good base to go into further reading on. Sometimes, there's even a nod to (or the author is) a professional who's written adult books on the subject.

For those into historical war eras and battles, there's a marvelous series of books for model/figure painters on various uniforms and weapons called "Men At Arms" I've picked up only in modeling/gaming stores in the past (now they're available on Amazon and various other places). It covered ever major war (at least in Western History--I don't know if it covers any others now). Good reference material in unsuspecting places. :D

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I loved those so much as a kid!!! I can see why they'd be helpful for research--pretty much everything has a visual, and their approach to history is from the perspective of concrete everyday stuff-- just what you want as a writer. I wish they went later than WWI, I'd so be into it.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I love them too. Used one while researching my medieval novel. It came with a great poster-sized castle. Right now I have 'Mesopotamia', helpful for researching my novel set in ancient Babylon. It also came with a poster that's hanging on my writing room wall.

.303 Bookworm

psst... say "moosey fate"
Registered
Reaction score
DK also made a 600-page visual dictionary that's set up just like an Eyewitness book inside. It's pretty nice.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Dorling Kindersley's Eyewitness Guides are terrific because they are visual encyclopedias of photographs of actual artifacts, not someone's modern illustration reinterpretation (Mostly. The "Costume" one, for counterexample, contains photos of a number of recreated outfits on live models alongside the remnants of actual old clothing. It's still pretty good).

I had accumulated a shelf of them for reference even before we had children.

They are the sort of thing to help people get a sense of historic periods and immersion, using the sorts of visuals that are left out of a lot of history books.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
For those into historical war eras and battles, there's a marvelous series of books for model/figure painters on various uniforms and weapons called "Men At Arms" I've picked up only in modeling/gaming stores in the past (now they're available on Amazon and various other places). It covered ever major war (at least in Western History--I don't know if it covers any others now). Good reference material in unsuspecting places. :D

The Men at arms books are put out by Osprey publishing. They do a lot of great military history books. Pretty much every culture and period you could think of. And great illustrations too. In fact the illustrations are so popular that a lot of history forums forbid members from posting them. I think Osprey keeps a tight lid on their intellectual property.

Period art is a good place to pick up period detail too. Or if its more recent, period photographs.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I loved those so much as a kid!!! I can see why they'd be helpful for research--pretty much everything has a visual, and their approach to history is from the perspective of concrete everyday stuff-- just what you want as a writer. I wish they went later than WWI, I'd so be into it.

It's not an "Eyewitness Guide", but I know Dorling Kinderley goes later than that because I have a big, like twice as thick as an Eyewitness Guide, DK book in similar format on WWII, and I have seen one on the Vietnam War.

They also have lots of guides that cover more recent history in bits and pieces, like "Submarine," "Airplane," "Car," and "Money."

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I have the Eyewitness Viking book. The artifact photos are great. The reenactor's costumes not so much. The women's costumes are especially problematic, even for the time the book was written.

They're great visual resources, provided you also know what's correct in that time period.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I love them, grew up reading them. My dad is a military historian and he has a bunch of 'em on his bookshelf.

DK Eyewitness travel guides are handy too- good for brief historical and geographic overviews, with nicely done detailed "cross section" drawings of historical buildings and city streets.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
If you already know what's correct in that time period, what do you need a visual guide for?

Because it's great to have in front of you when writing description. For my last novel I used a picture to describe a room in a castle. From my research material I already knew what would be in that room but seeing a picture of someone occupying and using the room provided small details that gave authenticity to the description.