Wer spricht hier deutsch?

Moonbase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaufen-ist-toll.de
Zwar habe ich das Konzept von »Ländern« auf dieser kleinen Kuller nie ganz verstanden, aber ich wohne wohl in einem – und spreche auch die Sprache. :)

Vielleicht hat ja sogar jemand meiner deutschen Kollegen[SUP]*[/SUP] hier einen heißen Tipp für meine Frage bzgl. der US-amerikanischen Steuernummer?

[SUP]*[/SUP] Ich neige dazu, das männliche Geschlecht in seiner geschlechtsneutralen Form zu benutzen, gekünstelte Schreibweisen wie »KollegInnen« finde ich doof.

1000th Sun

Registered
Reaction score
1,5 Jahre lerne ich Deutsch zum Gymnasium. Mein Deutsch ist nicht am besten aber ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen. Deutsch hilft mir mit Englisch. Jetzt kann ich den Akkusativ und Dativ finden. :D

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Ich auch, Sun. 4 Jahre ich lernte Deutsche zum Gynmasium, aber ich spreche nur ein bisschen. Aber, ich lerne! Mein Lehrer gesagt, ich habe gute Aussprache. Ich bin nicht sicher, dass ist heute wahr.

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
Vielleicht hat ja sogar jemand meiner deutschen Kollegen[SUP]*[/SUP] hier einen heißen Tipp für meine Frage bzgl. der US-amerikanischen Steuernummer?

Hoffentlich hat sich dein Problem schon erledigt.

Hier ist das Problem meisstens das sich die Amerikanischen Sachbearbeiter nicht vorstellen koennen das nicht alle anderen Staaten Amerikanische beweise haben. Z. B. gibt es hier kein Einwohnermeldeamt. Falls ich meine Adresse beweisen muss, so bringe ich meinen hiesigen Fuehrerschein, zusammen mit meiner Stromrechnung in meinem Namen mit meiner Adresse bei.

Weiss nicht ob das Konsulat in Frankfurt auch eine ITIN ausstellen kann. Die sollten sich mit deutschen Gepflogenheiten natuerlich schon auskennen.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Ich habe Deutsch für 4 Jahren in Gymnasium gelernt. Ich verstehe wie ich lese aber sprechen schwer finde. Ich arbeite in einem Verlag. Wir machen Sprachzeitschriften mit zwei auf Deutsch. Ich lese und lerne.

Btut there is obviously a long way to go still :)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I think I might have to intrude on this thread, but I wanted to ask a question to all germans out there.

I want to buy a present for a friend who currently lives in Germany, and I want it to arrive as soon as possible. Which means buying from a German website that ships from Germany (I'm in Mexico and it would take aaages).

So... any recommendations of sites that sell cool stuff from Germany?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
There's always www.amazon.de! Books as well as other stuff.

It depends what kind of stuff you want, of course. Clothes? Gadjets? Music? Jewellery?
If you let me know I'll search for you and send you links.

Gah! I've no idea. I browsed amazon.de for a while (thank you Google Translate!) but did not find anything I liked.

I think I'm going to end up buying something from the US and hoping Germany's postal service is magnitudes better than the Mexican one (which wouldn't be too much of a stretch).

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Germany's postal services is excellent. I've never known anything to get lost there. But don't ask me about the UK service -- wah! It has lost at least two full mss of mine!

Chris_Wilkins

Learning all about this place
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sorcerytales.com
Hallo dort, Von der Schweiz

Hallo,

Ich bin sehr neues da. Ich bin Australien, aber lebe ich in der Schweiz. Ich kann Deutsch sprechen, aber schleckt meine Grammatk ist. Ich nehme eine Deutsch Kurs im moment und hoffe ich es kommt besser.

Noch ein Problem mit leben in der Schweiz ist der "Schweizer-Deutcsh". Es ist der gliech als Schottish nach Englisch. ;)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Hallo,

Ich bin sehr neues da. Ich bin Australien, aber lebe ich in der Schweiz. Ich kann Deutsch sprechen, aber schleckt meine Grammatk ist. Ich nehme eine Deutsch Kurs im moment und hoffe ich es kommt besser.

Wilkommen! :hi:

(Did I spell that right?)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
It appears I killed this thread.

On the off chance that it zombifies, I need some German help. In the film I'm making (see my sig), there is a scene with some German dialogue. I am not confident enough in my German to translate myself, and the person who was going to do it originally is taking longer than I'd hoped.

If any of you fine folks could help me out, I'd most definitely credit you in the film and on IMDb. Thanks in advance. :)

senka

Registered
Reaction score
@PrincessofPersia: I'm a translator English-German, maybe I can help you? How much is it? Don't think it would take me very long. What exactly do you need? PM me if you're interested!

Is anyone of you familiar with the different German dialects/accents? Such as Schweizerdeutsch, Bayrisch, Sächsisch (LOL!), Platt...?
I know English got lots of them, like Scottish and stuff, but German is WORSE, I think!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The one German accent I cannot stand is Schwaebisch.

Badisch is a little better.

I like Hamburgerisch, and Oesterreicherisch, and Bayrisch.

I don't understand Schizterdeutsch.

Those are the only ones I know.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
@PrincessofPersia: I'm a translator English-German, maybe I can help you? How much is it? Don't think it would take me very long. What exactly do you need? PM me if you're interested!

PMed.

Is anyone of you familiar with the different German dialects/accents? Such as Schweizerdeutsch, Bayrisch, Sächsisch (LOL!), Platt...?
I know English got lots of them, like Scottish and stuff, but German is WORSE, I think!

English definitely has more accents. Think about it. There are multiple accents in every country that speaks English. America alone probably has close to a dozen different accents (Philly, Jersey, NY, Boston, Texas, etc), Australia has a few, and England has more than a couple. Then you have the rest.

senka

Registered
Reaction score
English definitely has more accents.
I'm not sure, honestly. I think it depends on what you actually consider an accent and what you consider more like a variation of an accent... In the free state of Thuringia alone there are already 9 "linguistic areas". I never had such big problems understanding different English accents (except for Scottish, maybe) than I had with the different German accents which are very hard to understand even for natives.
Think about it. There are multiple accents in every country that speaks English. America alone probably has close to a dozen different accents (Philly, Jersey, NY, Boston, Texas, etc), Australia has a few, and England has more than a couple. Then you have the rest.
I know, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are more of them. If you take a look at Russia, for example, it's the biggest country on earth and nevertheless there is barely any specific Russian accent. Okay, they've got the Muscovite accent, but there's not much more than that and understanding one another never is a problem.
At least the parts of Germany I know very well have a difference in accent between even small towns and villages, one only 20km away from the next. I know people from Leipzig who have been 200km to the south and they didn't understand the locals, it was so bad they really got not more than half of the conversation if at all.
Of course there's a difference between cities and villages and if you really want to hear the accents you have to go to the villages, and then it's best to speak to older or at least "real local" people.

I like Bayrisch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWn08Dhv5E
There's an example für Fränkisch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zeGrd1pvks&feature=related
Siebenbürgisch (even worse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eR0ymzZbpM

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I once did an experiment on another forum to see if we could talk between people speaking different Germanic tongues if we all spoke in Germanic cognates. It turned out that the Berliners had a harder time talking to the Swiss than the English with the West Frisians.

To give you a shot of what such game called for, we would have to thrutch like this and not ever wander into the Romish and Frankish words. The Icelanders had the easiest time!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I know, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are more of them. If you take a look at Russia, for example, it's the biggest country on earth and nevertheless there is barely any specific Russian accent. Okay, they've got the Muscovite accent, but there's not much more than that and understanding one another never is a problem.

There are definitely specific accents in English. A Philadelphia accent is very specific. Same with a Brooklyn or Long Island or Jersey accent. Ditto London, Liverpool, etc.

Matchy

Lazy Daizy...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I thought I check in here - I am (mostly) bi-lingual, with Schwäbisch being my native tongue. I do a lot of translations (yes, in Standard German) but even here in the US we still talk dialect at home. And I do hope to never lose it - it is after all almost 2000 years old...

Vivi

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!

German native speaker here (slight Berlin accent), but I will be keeping my post in English, since most of the contributers to this thread seem to have only basic German, and writing in German tempts me to write in long, complicated run-on sentences which I understand are difficult for non-native speakers. (A German habit that is difficult to shed even when writing in English, as you can see. ;) )

German as a language has some cool features, like being able to make up new words via compounds or nominalisation without sounding like you're using 'Buffy-speak'. But I still prefer writing in English, because it just sounds better to me. Less stilted, more lyrical. This may be because I'm hardly reading any fiction in German anymore these days, so fiction has become associated with the English language in my brain. So much so that I even think in English when I'm just plotting some story element while commuting in the morning, or trying to fall asleep at night. (My main reason for writing is to distract my brain from real life worries.)
About some topics I literally can't talk in German. I don't have the German vocabulary to discuss fandoms or media tropes, for example, because all my discussion of these topics happens in the anglosphere of the internet. Anything related to sex just sounds wrong and awkward in German (from dirty talk to discussions about LGTB issues - "schwul" is such an ugly word when you're used to "gay".) Of course, it could also be that this skewed perception just occurs because I've never been taught to be ashamed of English swear words. "Scheiße" sounds a lot worse to my ears than "shit", "ficken" a lot less classy and acceptable than "fuck".

Another thing I've noticed since I've switched almost my entire media intake to English a few years back is that I start to forget German words. Well, not forget, but in the middle of a conversation in German suddenly some everyday term will only come to me in English. Does anyone else have this problem? Or should I be worried about early onset Alzheimer's? (I was kind of hoping that would wait till I'm at least 60...)