• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Online Writing Groups - Different Genres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I updated the lists. :)

Benluby: did you want to join both groups or ????

The groups should pick up once everyone is back and settled after the holidays. I'll send out updated e-mails with the newest member info.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Updated List!

If your name is in red, that means I still need your e-mail address. Groups will be limited to 10 members. If there's enough interest, new groups can be added for each genre.

YA: - CLOSED (If heyheymse opts out, that will result in a vacancy)
heyheymse
Bing Zabriskie
Ellielle
Trisha
Krissy Reynolds
A. C. Thomas
Rowan
ThatKnight64
Mike_Gasaway
Holy_Shiitake
ConnieBDowell
Almondjoy
BarbaraSheridan
HatTrick

Commercial/Mainstream:
Bushrat
Bing Zabriskie
Hankleton
Holy_Shiitake
I_Love_Coffee

Mystery/Crime Drama/Police Procedural:
Rowan
Bushrat
Chase
Hankleton
ConnieBDowell

Urban / Paranormal Fantasy:
Rowan
benluby
French Maiden
WriterWho
L. Blake
Pinkclaw

SciFi / Fantasy:
JayD
WriteMinded
Reziac
phantasy
Elielle
simonalexander2005
Michel_Cayer
PinkClaw
TMCan
HatTrick

(Below listed members: Please let me know which group you prefer.)
Xaenyth
Ergodic Mage

Children's Literature (MG):
A. C. Thomas
ThatKnight64
HatTrcik

Romance:
Hankleton
NewKidOldKid
WriterWho
Allison Kelsey
HatTrick

Erotica:
WriterWho
Pinkclaw
L. Blake

Horror:
NewKidOldKid
benluby
Michel_Cayer

Historical Fiction:
heyheymse
Bushrat
ConnieBDowell
Schizoidwoman

Pending groups:
Memoir: Bushrat
New Adult: WriterWho

Last edited:

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I updated the lists. :)

Benluby: did you want to join both groups or ????

The groups should pick up once everyone is back and settled after the holidays. I'll send out updated e-mails with the newest member info.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

I'll be more than happy to help both. I'll PM you my email addy. Thanks, Ben.

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested in the Horror group and SF/F one. Maybe create a second group if there is enough interest in one genre?

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in this, although I werite Urban Fantasy, because the fantasy genre is closed, does that mean that I miss out? Or will it become possible for me to participate?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
The groups can be changed. If there's enough interest, we can have a separate SciFi / fantasy group and also an urban / paranormal fantasy group. If you guys prefer, we can even separate out SciFi from Fantasy. (???)

Have at it! If I inadvertantly deleted anyone, please let me know. TorontoGirl has pulled out. If your name is in red, I need your e-mail address in order to add you to the group.

Urban / Paranormal Fantasy:
Rowan
benluby
French Maiden
WriterWho
L. Blake
PinkClaw

SciFi / Fantasy:
JayD
WriteMinded
Reziac
phantasy
Elielle
simonalexander2005
Michel_Cayer
PinkClaw
TMCan
HatTrick

(Below listed members: Please let me know which group you prefer.)
Xaenyth
Ergodic Mage

Last edited:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Surprise

Ok. While I was elsewhere, this a.m. sometime, it looks like, the deck was shuffled. Didn't know it was going to happen. Now I'm not sure where I belong. Urban Fantasy = modern day vamps and werewolves and stuff. I'm pretty clear on that one. However, Paranormal = romance with and/or between paranormal beings? For the Paranormal I could be way off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My stuff sits somewhere closer to Sword and Sorcery/Heroic (at least the current WIPs) so I think I'm where I belong. If you disagree, let me know. :) It's hard to draw lines betwixt and/or between. :)

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. While I was elsewhere, this a.m. sometime, it looks like, the deck was shuffled. Didn't know it was going to happen. Now I'm not sure where I belong. Urban Fantasy = modern day vamps and werewolves and stuff. I'm pretty clear on that one. However, Paranormal = romance with and/or between paranormal beings? For the Paranormal I could be way off. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My stuff sits somewhere closer to Sword and Sorcery/Heroic (at least the current WIPs) so I think I'm where I belong. If you disagree, let me know. :) It's hard to draw lines betwixt and/or between. :)

Yeah, I think you're fine where you are. I'm thinking of Urban Fantasy as fantasy set in the urban realm, ie., Jim Butcher, Laurell K. Hamilton, Kelly Meding--basically real world settings with "fantasy" elements (magic, shapeshifters, fey, witches, etc.). Epic fantasy is Tolkien, etc.,and fantasy is set in a fantasy realm.

Oh, here's a good definition (thank you to this Blogger):
http://www.beccahamiltonbooks.com/2012/08/22/what-is-paranormal-fantasy/
Urban Fantasy:
-Takes place in an urban setting/city.
-Usually in contemporary times but sometimes in historical, modern, or futuristic periods.
-Contains supernatural elements.

Paranormal Romance:
-Focuses on romance
-includes elements beyond the range of scientific explanation.
-Romantic relationship between humans and vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, and other entities of fantastic or otherworldly nature.
What happens when your Urban Fantasy is missing the urban? Or your paranormal romance doesn’t focus on romance, or might have no romance at all? What if you can’t just call it “fantasy” because it still takes place in this world? That’s where Paranormal Fantasy comes in. This is how I would define the genre.

Paranormal Fantasy
-Takes place in any realistic, on-Earth location.
-Contains paranormal or supernatural elements, such as vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, and other entities of fantastic or otherworldly nature.
-Can be set in historical, modern, or futuristic periods.
-Romance, if present, is not the plot.
So, it’s a lot like Urban Fantasy without the Urban. It may or may not have romance, but if it does, that is not what the story is focused on. The “tone” of the novel may be more like Paranormal Romance, but the plots may be more like Urban Fantasy. In a way, it’s a blend of the two, but it qualifies as neither.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

Being in the middle o' yourn... SF/F, definitely. Historical fantasy is no relation of urban fantasy. :D

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd personally rather just work with other science fiction writers, but if I'm the only one, I'll just go hide in a corner or something...

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent out updated e-mails for the SciFi/Fantasy and the Urban/Paranormal fantasy groups. I'm still waiting on two members to respond regarding their preferences.

Is everyone still on board for these groups? I haven't noticed much in the way of interaction with the YA group (and I sent out a brainstorming e-mail).

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Is SF/F still open? I would love to get into that group.

L.Blake

Soaking up information.
Registered
Reaction score
Got room for a paranormal and erotic? I tried the AW crit circle and it was good, but Java is a PITA.

L.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Got room for a paranormal and erotic? I tried the AW crit circle and it was good, but Java is a PITA.

L.

Thank you for sending your e-mail address along with your request!! :)

Everyone else: if you want to join a group, I need your e-mail address ASAP. If your name is in red above (post #52), that means I don't have an e-mail address for you.

Last edited:

sheribomb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Sorry to be sending this late -- I just saw this thread. Is there room in the urban fantasy group? I'm sending my email now! :)

Great idea, btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.