hello!

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
(fair warning, unless I'm actively writing a story I don't hardly ever using capital letters except on I, ok? thanks for understanding, it just kinda makes my hand sore always reaching for the shift key and I have carpal tunnel. so...yeah xD) Hello! My name's samantha! I go by sam or sami, maybe lady sometimes.(old nickname, long story) I know my punctuation and the like aren't really phenomenal or anything, but that's partly why I am here. my purposes here. 1: meet new friends who also love writing and such =D 2: learn from said friends on how to really write good stories 3: maybe somehow get past this writer's block I've had for almost a full year and 4: try to get over a mild fear of new things/people. so message me, post or whatever! I don't bite unless provoked xD seriously though, feel free to message me anytime, I try to reply as soon as I can so people don't have to wait or feel ignored.

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
thank you! =D I read in your post you do fantasy work...do you like, write stories with dragons? I'm addicted to those kinds of stories xD I personally write about shapeshifters when I CAN write...but it's been almost an entire year since last I wrote.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

keiju

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ladyxkaa! I have carpal tunnelly type issues too, have you seen a massage therapist? They're the best.

Anyway, welcome!

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!
Your post made me smile because good grammar doesn't come naturally to me and I don't exactly practice it actively when typing on the internets. I too felt like I needed a disclaimer when posting.

Good luck with your writing block. I am new to writing myself, so I don't have any good advice. I hear the key to breaking through is just writing. So, how about I give you a topic...:crazy:

Think back to one of your most beloved childhood memories and write it from a character's perspective in the genre you're most inclined to write in.

It doesn't have to be good. Just put something on paper.

Did that help?

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
thank you all for the greetings, it means a lot to me! and smh, I know how it is when you first start writing, I started making up stories at a young age, around 10, and really got into writing when I was about 12 or so. just keep at it and you'll do great! and thank you for the advice, both you and keiju ^^ I can't afford a massage therapist sdly xD

Tyler Silvaris

Master of the Shadowcloak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Welcome aboard! I've only been here a few weeks myself, but I feel comfortable here. It's been a great place to stretch my legs while I sort through some writing issues of my own, and it's been very educational.

I highly recommend looking around and critiquing some of the posted work to get your hands dirty. You'll see a lot of different ideas and if you're like me you'll start seeing people making mistakes you make all the time (and didn't know it) as well as see suggestions from others on how to handle those mistakes. Being here has been enlightening.

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I struggle with my own grammar rules a lot. Especially when it gets down to specifics.
I highly recommend getting into critiquing though. It really helps you when you can identify things in others writing that doesn't quite work, and then articulate why it doesn't work. Because then you can go back and find similar problems with your own writing and instead of saying 'well, crap. I don't know why it doesn't work. it just doesn't' and then throwing your pages out a window dramatically and making some kind of weird rage-fueled animal noises that frightens your cats- Because that's definitely not something I've done in the past...

Anyway. Instead, you can be like 'hah! I've seen this before, and they did this, and it worked much better,' and the story flowed, and everything was lovely and we did the charlie brown dance and the day was saved.
But also, critiquing isn't for everyone, so no worries if it just doesn't interest you. Just know that everyone started out at the bottom!:hooray:

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
thanks for the advice ^^ I do sometimes do minor critiquing for my mom's books. she has issues with grammar once in a while cuz she has dyslexia, so I help spot errors and the like when I transcribe her book from notebook to computer. I just don't know enough about sentence structure, when to use this punctuation or that wording to really critique someone professional's work. now, if it were something like a drawing with some hinky anatomy, i could do it. I have drawn most of my life, and study anatomy constantly to a point where i know lots of little intricacies to it. but as you say, I'm at the bottom right now in terms of writing stories xD

ghostposts

Evil Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ghostposts.blogspot.com
You'll see a lot of different ideas and if you're like me you'll start seeing people making mistakes you make all the time (and didn't know it) as well as see suggestions from others on how to handle those mistakes. Being here has been enlightening.

amen!

Hi, sweetie. You ought to try the exercise smh1024 gave you. Just imagine Marin on halloween, or during another of your memorable experiences.

Last edited: