The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
LynDee, isn't fan mail awesome? I love reading your journey posts!

It really was! I mean, there have been bloggers and reviewers who've said nice things, and I've seen a couple go up on @mazon that were lovely and not from anyone I know, but I just thought it was so cool that this lady liked it enough to send me a note! I've loved many books in my life, but I don't think I've ever told the author that unless it was one of you. I believe I'll start, because it made me smile. :)

And thanks. This whole thing has been crazy. My editor and marketing guy are going nuts over it, which is lovely. People keep asking how I did it, though, or saying "great job!" And I'm sitting here going "WTF did I do? I did the same stuff everyone else does. I've been watching people do it for years now. Please, tell me what's working so I can do it some more!" :)

Off to get food. I've been so busy I keep forgetting to eat, so that's probably a good thing.

Elizabetta: Good lord. That's ... wow.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And this, kiddies, is why sexting is inadvisable. Bad. Dangerous. Stupid.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
And thanks. This whole thing has been crazy. My editor and marketing guy are going nuts over it, which is lovely. People keep asking how I did it, though, or saying "great job!" And I'm sitting here going "WTF did I do? I did the same stuff everyone else does. I've been watching people do it for years now. Please, tell me what's working so I can do it some more!" :)

My wild guess (not so wild) is that it has a great deal to do with your personality. You are sweet, genuinely humble, cute, funny, charming, and witty. You are the kind of person people WANT to like, and your writing does not disappoint. It's a winning combo. Enjoy your success - you've earned it by being your wonderful self. :)

Also - I frequently write notes to authors. I know I would love it, so I try to do the same. Back when he was less crazy I traded a few emails with Orson Scott Card, and I've talked with Lois McMaster Bujold and Jeffery Deaver. The cool thing about authors is that they really aren't inundated with fans the same way other celebrities are, so they're very approachable! Only person who never answered me was Ray Bradbury, but that was probably because I sent him creepy infatuated stalker letters as a teen. Eeek.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
*nods* I've exchanged emails with a fair few nonfiction people, including the guy who wrote The Quick and Dirty Guide to Learning Languages Fast - awesome book, only reason I passed big Spanish exams at the time.

The link... oh dear. So much for grown-ups knowing better.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I don't get how people involved in any sort of mass media get involved in this stuff. Is it that people just assume it won't happen to them? The woman I'm having an affair with would NEVER... yeah, well, I'm sure that's what her husband thought, too...

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com

Erm, THIS times eleventy billion!

Also, thanks for the hugs and nice reps, everyone! I'm honestly just so deadly tired, I probably shouldn't just have driven myself home, but what choice do I have, right? ;)

Anyway, the main issue with this class is that it is made up of a large chunk of students whose junior high teacher did nothing but sing songs and watch movies with them (having observed said teacher for over a week, I can attest to that) and having a rather staggering percentage of kids with various learning disabilities. That on top of this already being a combined level 2 and 3 class is making this a real challenge. I'll have to just keep digging into my box of tricks and hope to get through to as many of them as I can and hope something sticks.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
LynDee, it could be that I'm reading you all wrong, but from my perspective, you lost your self-doubt and anxiety at the point of sale. I'm sure there have been moments of stress, but as your debut approached, right at the time it seems most authors become self-conscious and nervous about public exposure, it looked like you went the opposite direction. ETA: Plus, what Jo said.

Red, I disliked the ending, but The Horse Whisperer was a huge commercial success and it was of a mixed tone.

I wouldn't describe Evie's book as having ended happily.

Think of movies that were blockbusters, too. Titanic, for example.

ETA: I need to go back. Obviously I missed the sexting link...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Mmkay, so, this is a little odd but I want to run this "book group" question by you guys. I've been having some trouble with the wording, so I just want to know if this makes sense to you, particularly if you were previously unaware of the phenomenon:

Many people with disabilities complain of being treated as asexual or non-sexual, so that people of the opposite sex see them as safe confidants rather than potential partners. Does this happenWhat character(s) do this to Samuel? How does he react? Is the situation a negative or positive experience?

Is the setup for this question pretty clear? You get what I mean?

ETA: Thanks for the catch, Haupe. :)

Last edited:

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my dear Purgies. I think I mentioned this before, but asking again.

I'm less than 3 months out to release and gathering up my blurb possibilities. Does anyone have personal contact with a midlist or higher author in the Urban Fantasy / Paranormal/ Contemporary Fantasy genres? I'm happy to chat about this off loop, but I really need to get my act together here. The people I'd like to contact are so insulated from the public and I'm not familiar with every midlister out there, so I could definitely use some help in networking.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I'm curious about where Purgs stand on this matter. So... Purgy Poll?

How do you feel about books with sad endings? What's your favorite sad ending book? Can you help me come up with some very successful books that had sad ending? Other thoughts?

My pub made me change the ending of T3N which was significantly bleaker than the current version.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
LynDee - you've done a wonderful job - I can tell you've thrown yourself into the promotion side of things, and it's paying off. Well Done! Or as we say on my side of the house - BZ! (That would be Bravo Zulu! Why the heck it means Well Done, I have no idea.)

Many people with disabilities complain of being treated as asexual or non-sexual, so that people of the opposite sex see them as safe confidants rather than potential partners. Does this happenWhat character(s) do this to Samuel? How does he react? Is the situation a negative or positive experience?

Is the setup for this question pretty clear? You get what I mean?
I get what you mean but this is a real phenomenon? Interesting. The first 2 questions make sense to me, but not the last. It's possible for this to be a positive experience? I'm reading the questions way out of context (actually, with no context), but should you be more direct in the last question, asking whether Samuel preferred to be viewed more as a confidant than a potential partner? (I'm asking because a disabled person might actually feel safer entering into a relationship as a confidant - many romantic relationships start out that way - close friendships and confidences blossoming into something more.). Anyway, I'm just throwing some spaghetti on the wall for you - see if anything sticks.

delete... delete... delete... delete... delete...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, right, "Doomsday Book." Also, "Almost Paradise," when you really expect the estranged couple to get back together, and instead... No, worse than that.

Know who I admire? Today I did some running around which included busy, low-end stores. The cashiers were pretty cool. Mostly blue-collar types no doubt working for lousy pay and no benefits, not enough of them, high turnover and presumably bad working conditions which I can't see, yet these women manage to smile and be pleasant. That's pretty impressive.

Maryn, fan of women who keep their chins up

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Jo, thank you! :) that's lovely. And yes, I think that question makes perfect sense. And it's a great question.

Haupe, I'm very glad it looked that way! ;) I was a bundle of nerves last week (still am, really) but I try not to let anyone but my nearest and dearest see that. I have been amazed by the comments and sales, and have been sure to share that online. I am soooo grateful to everyone who has made this magical week happen. Which means all of you.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've reached that tipping point of stress where I can't keep on top of my inbox and each new email makes me want to hide even more. *hides*

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question for all you folks that use Twitter. Are there add-ons that are useful? I've got TweetDeck, but there seem to be a lot of other plug-ins that claim to help manage tweeting, like unfollow and qwitter. Just wondering if anyone finds anything beyond the basic interface helpful.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Repped your answer Mike.

Today has been nice and quiet and I intend to skip the meds I'm on in favor of Godiva chocolate liqueur tonight. Gotta drink these birthday presents, imo.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Quick question for all you folks that use Twitter. Are there add-ons that are useful? I've got TweetDeck, but there seem to be a lot of other plug-ins that claim to help manage tweeting, like unfollow and qwitter. Just wondering if anyone finds anything beyond the basic interface helpful.

Haven't found any that were indispensable. TweetDeck is the bomb, though. I'd never be able to keep up without it!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I get what you mean but this is a real phenomenon? Interesting.

Ha, yes. It's kind of like how I always found elderly men to listen to me yak when I was a teen, because they gave me the male influence I craved without me having to worry about thinking they might want to get me into bed. (I was a stupid teenager.) I guess it's also kind of like the "gay best friend" thing too. Except it's unfair to assume that having a disability means you're not also sexual.

The first 2 questions make sense to me, but not the last. It's possible for this to be a positive experience? I'm reading the questions way out of context (actually, with no context), but should you be more direct in the last question, asking whether Samuel preferred to be viewed more as a confidant than a potential partner?

Hmmm. Well, he ends up being the sort of "safe" alternative for two younger women whom he wouldn't consider sexually anyway - one who is trying to get over an attempted rape. So while he's normally annoyed, in this case his position allows him to provide a non-threatening positive male influence. A lot of the book is about reversal of people's assumptions, especially the protagonist's, so I think it makes sense in context. :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh, Elisabetta! Also kinda depressed. Some of those lit agents really are glam.

Status
Not open for further replies.