• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
That's actually encouraging news. Thanks!

You're welcome! that was maybe a few weeks ago, but I don't expect Samhain is the kind of place where they ever have a slow down in submissions.

I can say the two times I submitted to Samhain, I was rejected within 10-12 weeks, but that was over a year ago for one sub, and almost a year ago for the other.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a book they need to read before deciding it's not for them!

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Samhain last night-and today I got a note asking me to resubmit my materials---in a particular way/order that I now know I somehow messed up last night! Nice of them to ask for me to do that, rather than just delete me!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I sent a query to Samhain last night-and today I got a note asking me to resubmit my materials---in a particular way/order that I now know I somehow messed up last night! Nice of them to ask for me to do that, rather than just delete me!

So far, my experience with them has been very good. I, too, had to reformat my submission before sending and then was fearful that I'd done it wrong. Imogen wrote me and said everything looked great and not to worry. The thing is, that was July 19th. I sent an e-mail on the 15th week, just to inquire, and received a form response followed by a personal one from Imogen. She said she'd forwarded my e-mail to their horror editor, and if I didn't hear in two weeks, to feel free to write again. I've decided not to rock the boat. Right now, I'm in my 20th week, and I see that as a good thing. Actually, I have a very positive feeling about this...so, we'll see how it all turns out. Fingers crossed!

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I had mail from 2009 from one of the editors telling me to send her something directly the next time I had something new as she had apparently enjoyed aspects of my writing voice. Think it's too late to take her up on her offer? :p

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Well, today marks the 24th week since I sent in my manuscript to Samhain's horror line. Chased it on the 15th week, and Imogen told me my e-mail was sent to Don. I decided not to rock the boat and haven't inquired since...hopefully, the wait will all be worth it in the end!

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
Well, today marks the 24th week since I sent in my manuscript to Samhain's horror line. Chased it on the 15th week, and Imogen told me my e-mail was sent to Don. I decided not to rock the boat and haven't inquired since...hopefully, the wait will all be worth it in the end!

Don't give up just yet. I subbed back in early April and didn't get an official response until nearly the end of December.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Question for those of you submitting to Samhain's horror imprint: Does their "must have an element of romance" requirement apply there too? I'm about 99% sure I read otherwise on their website before, but I've been scouring it and can't find that anywhere in the submission FAQs.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Question for those of you submitting to Samhain's horror imprint: Does their "must have an element of romance" requirement apply there too? I'm about 99% sure I read otherwise on their website before, but I've been scouring it and can't find that anywhere in the submission FAQs.

God, I hope not! I do believe the horror line is completely separate from the romance line (their romances can include paranormal and horrific elements, I think). The lines don't blur--at least, I'm praying they don't. There's absolutely no romance in my submission to Samhain!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My understanding is that the horror line is completely separate, and at least looking at some of the blurbs of the horror books, romance is not required. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I made a horror submission yesterday, and they got back to me today to tell me that I must have both a full and synopsis attached separately. I actually had the synopsis in the body of the email. That was very, very swift and the note to me was not form but a personal, polite message. They could have very well kicked me to the curb. But they took the time to correct my error. Very nice, indeed.

tri

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's been close to 25 weeks since I sent in my horror manuscript to Samhain--chased it once in early November, and Imogen said my e-mail would be sent to Don (their horror editor). Just for the heck of it, I decided to send her an inquiry last night. My feeling has been, "don't rock the boat," but after 25 weeks without a peep, I figured I'd just throw caution to the wind and inquire again.

This morning, I received notice from Imogen that my e-mail had been sent to Don for an update. Fifteen minutes later, I heard from him. My ghost story, THE BLUE CLASSROOM, will be published by Samhain in mid 2014! I was not only completely shocked, the news knocked me off my feet. It'll take me a while to absorb all of this. THE BLUE CLASSROOM was originally a POD book in 2003, under a different title. I revised it significantly, changed the title, and decided to just go for it without an agent. That resulted in this sale, and the terms look good. Plus, Don wants more from me! I'm just amazed! Will keep everyone posted!

If you've sent something into them, don't give up! I was very patient throughout the entire process. They receive tons of submissions, and it's always been my feeling that no news is good news!

Lordofthehunt

Registered
Reaction score
This morning, I received notice from Imogen that my e-mail had been sent to Don for an update. Fifteen minutes later, I heard from him. My ghost story, THE BLUE CLASSROOM, will be published by Samhain in mid 2014!

Congratulations. Well worth the wait. :)

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Congratulations. Well worth the wait. :)

Definitely! I sent them my manuscript exactly 25 weeks ago today. Actually, the time has gone by very quickly. I realized it would be at least 16 weeks, which would've brought me into November. After the first chase, I decided to lie low...no news is good news, as they say. Certainly in this case, that rang true!

I'm really beside myself regarding the news. Though I've been a freelance writer since the summer of 84 and have been quite successful at it, THE BLUE CLASSROOM was my first attempt at a novel. I honestly can't believe this is happening!

Last edited:

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The material has been coming fast and furious from Samhain! Signed the contract, filled out sundry other forms, and now, I've gotta start thinking about cover art. My head is swimming!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Now that my contract is all signed, I thought I'd update this thread for anyone waiting. I subbed my UF the last week of November. Got an offer mid-February. :)

Am very excited to be working with them as I've heard nothing but good things.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Now that my contract is all signed, I thought I'd update this thread for anyone waiting. I subbed my UF the last week of November. Got an offer mid-February. :)

Am very excited to be working with them as I've heard nothing but good things.

Congratulations!