Last Movie You Watched...

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Top Gun. Can't argue with the classics. MAVERIIIIIIIIICK!

Petros

Registered
Reaction score
Safety Not Guaranteed. It was just added to Netflix, it's a quirky indie comedy, very fun to watch. Starring Aubrey Plaza who plays April on Parks and Rec.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The Selling. Watch. This. Movie. It's a low-budget indie starring a guy with excellent comic timing.

He's a too-honest Realtor who gets tricked into buying a haunted house. He has to sell it to pay for his mom's chemo.

I smiled or laughed through most of this movie. That never happens. It has the typical scenes (no one believes him; when ghost hunters want to buy the house, nothing happens, etc.). The lead and his business partner play off each other very well. The directing could be tighter but the lead's acting makes up for most of it.

9 out of 10.

ETA: Don't skip the credits. There are two short extra scenes right after they start and one tiny one at the very end.

Last edited:

PineMarten

A real pine marten!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a whole bunch of films recently - Beautiful Creatures, Broken City, Cloud Atlas, Django Unchained, A Good Day to Die Hard, Hitchcock, Les Mis, Life of Pi 3D, Lincoln, Quartet, Warm Bodies and Wreck-It Ralph 3D.

Of these, I loved Cloud Atlas best, closely followed by Django. I can't even begin to talk about Cloud Atlas without going into the Themes and Messages, but it's so much more than that. Both Hitchcock and Lincoln surprised me with their snappy scripts, excellent acting and cinematography. I was most disappointed by Wreck-It Ralph, particularly when compared to other animated "kid" movies like Rise of the Guardians.

In about fifteen minutes though, I'm off to a special screening of Oz. Looking forward to it!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Underworld: Awakenings. Pretty good. Kate Beckinsale is just so kick-assing. And I have to admit I love watching my hubs drool over her. He loves him some Beckinsale. :D

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red Tails, a movie about the Tuskegee airmen during WWII. A little bit corny at times, but still a fun watch with brisk action and exciting aerial dogfights.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Halloween Party. It was really bad.

I learned halfway through (via wiki) that it's from The Asylum, so that kind of explained everything.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I never read the graphic novel, so this flick was all I had to go on. Great look to it, CGI or no, but the script was SERIOUSLY lacking, and the characters--flat. Good action, but misdirected. Had a good musical score and Sean Connery, crusty bugger that he is, did well, but really, it's not a great movie. If you don't think about it, it's a lot of fun, but not the really good action movie I thought it would be.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I never read the graphic novel, so this flick was all I had to go on. Great look to it, CGI or no, but the script was SERIOUSLY lacking, and the characters--flat.

Which, for people who have read the comic, is the most insulting thing about that mess - the characters are all brilliantly explored, and given more than enough moments. And the Nautilus is... Not quite right in the film.

If you don't think about it, it's a lot of fun, but not the really good action movie I thought it would be.

It could have been so, so much more, and the astonishingly bad performance of the film means we are never going to get the musical segment based on Mack The Knife brought to life on the big screen. :(

If any comic deserved a great adaptation, it is League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Which, for people who have read the comic, is the most insulting thing about that mess - the characters are all brilliantly explored, and given more than enough moments. And the Nautilus is... Not quite right in the film.

It could have been so, so much more, and the astonishingly bad performance of the film means we are never going to get the musical segment based on Mack The Knife brought to life on the big screen. :(

If any comic deserved a great adaptation, it is League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
----------

If the Nautilus in the comic book resembled the one used for the Disney flick, then okay, I could see it. TLOEG's Nautilus looked like a skyscraper rising out of the ocean...not what I imagined.

Apparently, Sean Connery and Stephen Norrington (director) did NOT get along. Norrington's a hack and the way he directed it was like, "Let the camera run and that's a wrap!"

I'll have to get the comic, I really will. Stores in Japan only carry the Japanese translation of some of the more well-known graphic comic books so I'll have to Amazon it. Alan Moore reportedly asked his name not be attached to this flick...too bad. As you said, it could have been so much more (Moore?) than it was.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also they had to make Connery the lead, as opposed to the character of Mina. I mean, god forbid a woman be the leader of the team :p .

Give it a few more years and they should try again. And make it R rated. And actually do the story (which is dark and twisted and the total opposite from what Hollywood blockbusters are like).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If the Nautilus in the comic book resembled the one used for the Disney flick, then okay, I could see it. TLOEG's Nautilus looked like a skyscraper rising out of the ocean...not what I imagined.

The comic version is really cool steampunk weirdness, and - so, so awesome - it splits in two parts a-la the Enterprise from TNG.

Apparently, Sean Connery and Stephen Norrington (director) did NOT get along. Norrington's a hack and the way he directed it was like, "Let the camera run and that's a wrap!"

From what I have heard, very few people are warm to Norrington, though given his films... not really surprising. I've yet to see an interview where anyone names him as their favorite director.

I'll have to get the comic, I really will. Stores in Japan only carry the Japanese translation of some of the more well-known graphic comic books so I'll have to Amazon it.

If it is still available - the vagaries of some of the shops amazes me - then get the fancy edition if you can afford it. There's a lot of extras which will amuse anyone familiar with Victorian literature, though even I had trouble identifying some of the more obscure characters.

Also they had to make Connery the lead, as opposed to the character of Mina. I mean, god forbid a woman be the leader of the team :p .

This is gonna make me feel old...

Things have changed a lot since the film was released, and I can see it being done properly now. Remember, this was hot on the tail of a few other films which had large casts, and since then we have had a number of films (Alice In Wonderland and Sucker Punch for two examples), and the hesitance to use a female lead wouldn't be so great if it was to move forward now.

Give it a few more years and they should try again. And make it R rated. And actually do the story (which is dark and twisted and the total opposite from what Hollywood blockbusters are like).

I would like to see a few lines excised - was it "space wogs" or something? Really too on the nose - but yeah. A direct translation would be something I would be waiting outside the cinema to see. :D

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Never saw League, sounds like I haven't missed too much there.

Most recent flicks watched were Almost Famous, 2000, Kate Hudson and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, 2005, w/Robert Downey, Jr. Both were surprisingly good. Heading to the movies in a little while to see Life of Pi, looking forward to it. We have a dollar theatre close by, which is great, you just have to be patient. Hopefully Argo will be coming there soon, and Zero Dark Thirty.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Oz the Great and Powerful.

Meh.

I've read a handful of reviews praising the visuals, but every effect in it, I've seen done elsewhere and better. EVERY. ONE. And no one not named Margaret Hamilton or Helena Bonham Carter should try to cackle like that.

I didn't hate it. But Sam Raimi, you are not Terry Gilliam--stop it.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Hunger Games - it was pretty good. I haven't read the book so I'm guessing - hoping, really - the book is much better.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, 2005, w/Robert Downey, Jr.
Always liked that one.

Got around to seeing The Hobbit finally and I really liked some of the directions they're embellishing it, expanding on the war in the forest, Thorin's history etc. And it's cool too see oldtimers like Cate Blanchette, even if they are kinda shoehorned. Not really feelin the forest wizard.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Star Wars Attack of the Drones, it was on at 2am this morning.

---

You're really a glutton for punishment, aren't you?:D

Anything done by George Lucas in the last ten (or more) years should automatically be locked up in an airtight, time-locked, and heavily guarded steel vault which should not be opened for the next then thousand years. By then, we'll have all killed ourselves off and when the aliens come to Earth, they can have a good laugh at our expense.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
---

You're really a glutton for punishment, aren't you?:D

Anything done by George Lucas in the last ten (or more) years should automatically be locked up in an airtight, time-locked, and heavily guarded steel vault which should not be opened for the next then thousand years. By then, we'll have all killed ourselves off and when the aliens come to Earth, they can have a good laugh at our expense.

Well it's like this... I don't have cable or satellite and that's what was on ABC this morning... oh and you should try a heavy dose of menopause with insomina as a side dish and then you too will find yourself watching Star Wars Attack of the Drones, because the thought of watching one more episode of Law and Order Special Perverts Unit makes you think a walk out onto the ice flow, the one your ancestors talked about, really is a good idea...

Just saying...

K-

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Princess Leia has signed on to do Episode 7, and that Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill will likely join the cast.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Have you seen [REC]? That's the original version of that film. I thought it was quite good, although I've never seen the remake so I can't compare.

I wonder how Hamill, Ford and Fisher will handle their roles. What with Hamill being the hammiest ham this side of Malcolm MacDowell, I'm particularly curious to see how he plays an aging Jedi.