Two birds with one stone advertising...

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what I am currently doing (other than facebook posting, with a free giveaway when book two comes out) is I am allowing people to buy a copy of the book and I'm going to send them to the troops overseas for their reading.
I feel it is a way to kill the proverbial two birds with one stone example. The troops get a free book to read and pass around (yes, I'm sending actual paperbacks, as kindles' and such are hard to keep charged and delicate little boogers), because it gives them something to do while overseas and also gives me some more eyes on the book.
But I am not interested in doing so for my own promotion. Thus...when I get closer to shipping date, if any author would like to donate a copy of their book to the cause, I'll provide an address they can ship them to and we can either bundle and ship out one box or they can send it direct, as how they get them isn't nearly as important to me as that they DO get them.
Right now I am sending ten copies to ten different units coming up in about three weeks. I'll keep everyone posted if they are interested in following on this.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, great idea.
I don't mean to sound crass but the military charity "field" right now is very popular, and you could garner a ton of brownie points for that alone.
It is obvious you genuinely care about the troops and not just about sales.

Please let us know how it goes.

Side question- do you typically sell physical copies of your books, or are you mainly ebooks? I am physical copy only.

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
You could ship it media mail for cheaper than regular mail.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Shipping isn't that bad, and I don't mind losing a bit of clinkage for the service members. I know how dull it can get without reading material.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, great idea.
I don't mean to sound crass but the military charity "field" right now is very popular, and you could garner a ton of brownie points for that alone.
It is obvious you genuinely care about the troops and not just about sales.

Please let us know how it goes.

Side question- do you typically sell physical copies of your books, or are you mainly ebooks? I am physical copy only.

I am in a saturated book market, zombies, which I am a huge fan of. I have sold very few ebooks, but have managed to sell 50 paperbacks as of right now, and that was, truthfully, my target.
I personally prefer paperback books. I just like the feel of them over a digital screen for reading.

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome idea! Mines not in print yet but in a few months if you do it, I'd love to donate a few..

Great work!

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
I have sold very few ebooks, but have managed to sell 50 paperbacks as of right now, and that was, truthfully, my target.
I personally prefer paperback books. I just like the feel of them over a digital screen for reading.

50 seems pretty good. Is that over the past year?

I prefer reading and selling paperback- it seems more "authentic" to me as an author and reader. And its fun to look at a physical book that I wrote.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that fifty is over the past three days. I carry a proof copy with me everywhere and get asked about it a lot, and people decide to buy a copy since they can have it signed by the author, even if he is a no name

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that fifty is over the past three days. I carry a proof copy with me everywhere and get asked about it a lot, and people decide to buy a copy since they can have it signed by the author, even if he is a no name

That's fantastic. Keep up the good work.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Why not try to organize a sort of AW care package? Says the girl who has nothing published.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
I am game for that as well. Again, it's not important to me to get credit. I just want to give back to the troops.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score