Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to replay the first two a few times for achievements.
After that, I probably still won't buy it until it's on some kind of sale.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
See, I think I actually prefer DA2 to the first these days. It's not as expansive, sure, and the ending was definitely infuriating the first couple of runs through. But the characters... maybe it's just my nature as an irrepressible smartarse, but I much preferred them to the first game's team, likely due to the sheer level of snark. Plus (and this is vital for me as one of those filthy, uncivilised console gamers) there is no Fade mission. That one stint is the biggest threat to any of my Origins runs. Well, that at the Brecilian.

Well, I wish those who already have it a good run. I have to wait 'til friday (at earliest) and for me Inquisition will always have one big flaw.

They never accepted me to do voice work.

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm a console gamer. I don't even think PC mods will work and if they do, it'll be a hideously complex process that will almost certainly get my Live subscription banned.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I'm 42 hours in and I'm not sure I'm even 1/2 way through it. It's got a LOT of content. Yeah, much of it is side-quests, but some of those are still fun.

There are a few bugs in the game still but nothing serious. One thing I do find surprising is how badly Bioware does faces and facial detail with the new engine AND on next-gen. There seems to be literally zero improvement in facial animations from the last gen ME/DA games which is shocking given the new engine and new generation console power. They really need to start doing motion capture for faces. They are years behind the rest of the industry in that area.

Also, they really need to update their character movements (the "natural" movements characters make in conversations). They're still using the same ones from all the way back to Mass Effect 2, and they're still just as unnerving and totally misplaced for certain conversations.

Those are just minor nitpicks, though. The levels/maps are really good. Beautiful backdrops and varied terrain in each one. And, almost all of the maps are huge. It's not totally open world in one big map, but once you put all of the virtual "square miles" together from all maps, it's probably a bigger game than Skyrim. Story is better, too.

Okay, posting this is taking away from my precious time in Thedas! Back to it...

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
My quick review without giving too many spoilers:

I'm enjoying the game so far, and I'm not a massive gamer. I bought the PC version a few days ago. Unfortunately, because of the Frostbite engine being so tricky to mod, there may never be mods for the game. Modding is the reason I bought the PC version. *bums*

Other than that, there's been a few bugs: mesh tweaks, voice skips, and random little things that hasn't affected gameplay. The only big issue I've had is after a boss fight, the cutscene didn't give me any dialog options. I had to replay the boss 3 times before I figured out that making a different choice right afterwards helped advance the scene.

There are a lot of little, tedious, and stupid missions mostly there just for experience points and to help the inquisition. It gets boring running back and forth after a while, but not nearly as bad as DA2's map re-usage.

And on that note: the "open world"? Nope. It's not a full, open world. Sure the land(s) are huge and there is plenty of running around to do, exploring, and the like, but you don't go from one side of Ferelden to the other like you would in the world of Skyrim.
You choose a "mission" in an area like near Redcliff, run around in the pretty big area (not going to use the word massive here), do your main/side quests, and whatever.
But the words "open world" don't apply.

What do other players think?

What's good about it? The characters IMO. I'm playing for the characters. The banter is great, just like in other DA games, and the storyline (so far) is complete and explains things that happened in the other DA games. Oh and watch out for some cameo's. I didn't study up enough to know this, and was pleasantly surprised to see some characters from the other games make appearances.

Plus, I like the new tactic fighting system. It took some time getting used to, but I've figured it out (and, again, I'm not a regular gamer) and it's pretty simple. The camera screws up sometimes. Hah! Normal problem for most games like these.

The music, worlds, creatures, textures, etc are all beautiful. And you can jump, which helps when you get stuck on a freaking rock. LOL

ETA: Facial animations. Varric's teeth.... *shivers*

Last edited:

thepicpic

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, am I the ONLY PERSON who agrees with SF Debris: The Fade is awful to play, but fantastic to replay.

Of course, I loved it the first time around...

It probably would be if I could ever remember the quickest way to get through it. A lot of Wardens have died to that demon because I lost the will to live with it.

Mind you, they all fared better than my friend's Warden, who due to a glitch got locked inside a room at the tower and is probably still there to this day.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like the DAO Fade portion because I'd built a mage that needed the tank to survive. It was rather difficult. Sure, you get lots of shape-shifty goodness, but you still have to acquire those shifts. It was not optimal, to say the least.

Now, when I played it the second time with my 2-hand warrior, it was just fine.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, am I the ONLY PERSON who agrees with SF Debris: The Fade is awful to play, but fantastic to replay.

Of course, I loved it the first time around...
I liked the fade section of DAO. It was kinda cool getting to turn into so many different things, the environment was awesome, and you got a ton of permanent stat bonuses. Honestly, I never really understood why so many hated it.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I've never played the rest of the series, though I have friends who are very into it. I was nudged into starting this one.

Twelve hours later, I can say, I really like this game. It's on my to-buy list now.

I only have a thumbnail sketch of the backstory, but I don't think that hurts me too much. I love reading whatever I find, so I think I've got most of the gaps at least a little filled. I can deal with minor glitchy bits and all that. I'm not super into the main plot (though I think I've barely scratched the surface on it), but the interactions are good fun.

Are the other games in the series about as good? I might have to look into picking them up too...

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Coffee, I have 400+ hours logged into Dragon Age: Origins.

Though, warning, the combat will KICK YOUR ASS.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Though, warning, the combat will KICK YOUR ASS.

Is it significantly different? Harder? Different mechanics? I hate games where I spend all my time getting killed... (No Dark Souls for me.)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard!

...oh, wait, I'm...playing on hard.

If you put it on easy, it should be easy!

Hehehe, I can see how you had this issue then! ;)

The first half of my time in DA:I was on easy. Once I got the hang of it, I set it to normal. It's not too bad. I'm not too proud to turn the difficulty down.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I haven't seen anyone on the multiplayer. Granted, with next gen I switched from Xbox 360 to PS4, and on 360 I could always find people to play ME3's multiplayer (best MP of any game I've played so far), so maybe it's just that there aren't as many people on PSN? I'm not sure. Guess maybe it'll take a few weeks for more people to get on there. :(

I played around with it today and it is set up similar to ME3's MP and looks like it'll be fun. If anyone else here is on PS4, I'll give you my ID and you can add me as a friend if you want to play.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Multiplayer in Bioware games just feels...wrong. It's just...so nontraditional.

"But what about Balder's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, and Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2?"

...shut up.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I was skeptical when they announced it for ME3 but they did an outstanding job with it. I still play it occasionally, though 2.5 years later, there's not as many people playing and Bioware doesn't offer any more support for it.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. They knocked it out of the park with their first MP attempt.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Is it significantly different? Harder? Different mechanics? I hate games where I spend all my time getting killed... (No Dark Souls for me.)

You have to try a little, but it's no harder than the usual fantasy RPGs.

The game gives you multiple ways to be "good" at combat. For example, you can craft badass weapons and gear, then just wade in and cut things down. Or if you have a talent for tactical combat, you can use the tactical pause button to micromanage your characters. Or if you have a talent for building a good party, you can see who works best together and let them do what they like.

Any of these things will get you through combat. I hate micromanaging characters, so I make sure they have good gear and make sure I have a balanced party, and I'm fine. Another cool thing is: the enemies don't scale with you, difficulty-wise. If you've having trouble with an area, you can just leave, do other things until you level up, and then come back.

They did change things a little. They simplified stuff, basically. Attribute points are automatically assigned; you don't pick them. And similar to DA2, there are less skills and options available. So there's less ways to fuck up but also less ways to become overpowered.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm totally sucked in. I want to be home playing right now. I'm missing some of the nuance of building the party-member's tactics, but overall, I'm not in it for the combat. I'm in it for the story, and the story is everything I hoped it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.