• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What word did you just look up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't looking up a definition, but I hit up the thesaurus to find a better verb for "slowly turns". I'm really, really trying to avoid adverbs in my writing since I'm notorious for using too many of them, and needed a better verb.

Tom, I feel your pain. Slowly seems to be an ly adverb that is impossible to replace. I encountered the problem when I tried to replace "walked slowly." I have yet to find a substitute.

The last word I looked up was photoshopped. I needed to know if it should be capitalized. Still don't know. The definition said, "often capitalized."

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
careen vs career. They mean the same thing people! lol

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
While researching the way deer move, I came across the most wonderful new words today, "stot" and "pronk." ("Stot" was the word I was looking for, that bouncy gait they use when they're running away. "Pronk" is just hilarious to say).

Stot
"A springing gait of certain bovids, as gazelles and antelopes, used especially when running in alarm from a predator."

Pronk
"(of a springbok or other antelope) leap in the air with an arched back and stiff legs, typically as a form of display or when threatened."

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
Stot and pronk sound like words you might find in Mad Magazine.

(Interesting that the spell checker here doesn't like them.)

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
lackadaisical

I had to check to see if I spelled it correctly.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
against

For some reason, every three months or so, that simple little word starts looking alien to me, and I have to look it up to regain my confidence in it.

I don't have a problem with "again." But "against" gets to me. Over and over again. :Shrug:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
You've probably found a substitute by now, but here's a bunch: trudge, plod, lumber, potter, stroll, saunter, amble, wander.

Sorry, no. None of those words are direct replacements for "walk slowly," which simply means to walk at a slow pace. Those words all have subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I have looked up a lot of words recently, all medical terms I can even pronounce well, little a lone spell right...

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Makeup. I always forget if the adjective version has a space like the verb, or no space like the noun.

7luckyclovers

Lost somewhere in my mind
Registered
Reaction score
against

For some reason, every three months or so, that simple little word starts looking alien to me, and I have to look it up to regain my confidence in it.

I don't have a problem with "again." But "against" gets to me. Over and over again. :Shrug:

LOL. I do that sometimes. Responsibility always gets to me. Too many i's.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
emulate to check I got the right sense of the word and spelling, courteous for spelling!

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
"Emissary". For some reason I always think it's "emissiary"...

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
Apocryphal.

I knew what the word meant already, but I needed an exact definition because one of my characters is quizzing another on SAT words.

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I do that sometimes. Responsibility always gets to me. Too many i's.

Definitely is mine.

And I put up a query in QLH using the word "supposubly". Yeah. No, it wasn't supposed to be part of the voice. I just don't know how to spell "supposedly".

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
The term 'water main'

Slightly off topic, but I need to use the term 'water main' right off that bat in my story, but do people generally understand what a water main is?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Slightly off topic, but I need to use the term 'water main' right off that bat in my story, but do people generally understand what a water main is?

I dunno.... Some folks might think water springs magically from the faucet, without the tedium of being brought along under the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.