• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Words you overuse constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Proof reading hurts my soul!!!!

I don't like trying to proof read my own work. *sigh*

Whether I am writing for work or fun (NF vs. Fiction), I absolutely hate proof reading my own work. It makes me feel stupid every time I come across a sentence and realize I have no idea what on earth I meant. I am sure it made sense to me at the time. But now, nothing!

I think it was Hawthorne that said, 'Easy reading is damn hard writing.'

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
You trust you betas more than I trust a professional editor. These are thing I need to identify and fix, not a beta, or an editor.

Well, I'm sure there are many things you don't need a beta for that other writers do. Everyone has their own blindspot, right?

On the other hand, I bet I don't need a beta to point out some the things you miss in self editing either - my agent says my manuscripts are the cleanest she's ever seen. :D

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
Turned. He turned. She turned. When he turned. Before he turned. Turned. Turned. Turned. Turned. Turned.

Ugh.

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
My characters seem to "groan" and "murmur" a lot.

I use though, but, and actually a lot too.

DocMac

Registered
Reaction score
I really have to watch using words such as really, very, like, though, that and only. I also have a tendency to overuse small gestures as dialogue tags that I only noticed in the last couple weeks. So, I'm working to limit their use and wondering what other things are going to pop out at me with this book that I didn't notice while writing the first one (which lives under my bed and will never again see the light of day).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Well I can be sort of, could'a, specifi'ca, though I would'a could'a.

I have lots of them.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
Over used words

At the end writing a chapter I always need to check for- that, which and but (with its synonyms). Its nice to use Microsoft word to find all those pesky words. It is also nice to see my writing improve, since I have fewer of these words in my drafts, which makes the editing less painful.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I know no other verbs but push. /o\ That is the one word I repeat the most.

Others are: actually, almost, breathe in/out, just etc. I just cut most of them out in the editing process.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Adverbs are a crutch for me. I'm working on them. Shrugged, turned, sighed, huffed, waved. It may be time to consult the Emotion Thesaurus.

HannahWing

Wait, what?
Registered
Reaction score
haha I'm so glad to find that this is such a common problem for other writers. I was really hoping that it wasn't just me.

That's one of the really nice things about something like yWrite. It (and I assume Scrivener and other packages) will tally word usage for you, letting you see just how often you actually use a particular word. It's really a pretty handy little function.....

Woah, that does sound useful! I usually do a CTRL+F to get a tally of words that I know I throw around too casually.

Status
Not open for further replies.