• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Another question about time passing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.cummings

exploring life - one word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
Example: In my WIP in progress the opening chapter (or prologue - that's the second part to this question) is of the MC as a boy - 10 or 11 sorta thing. Then from there on out MC is grown up. Biggest reason for this is that while he is a child he has a fascination of Dragons, and this is kind of really a big deal to setting his character up. But that is really the only thing of REAL interest to his childhood (other than little bits that can sprinkled in for depth throughout).

So first part to my question - should I just set this up as "chapter 1" is him as a child, blah blah blah? Then "chapter 2" is him grown up, blah blah blah?

Or should I have him as a child be a sort of prologue, and then "chapter 1" be him as an adult, blah blah blah.

Or... does someone have a different suggestion all together?

I appreciate the input and advice peeps! :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Does this chapter do anything other than establish that the MC is fascinated with dragons as a young boy? Because if that's all it does, then it's the dreaded backstory/infodump prologue, and you're gonna get a unanimous cry to cut it completely.

Character traits that impact on the plot need to be introduced, but in the course of telling the story. It sounds like your story doesn't start until he's an adult, so that's where your novel should start.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill had the MC grow up in a few chapters, and I thought it was handled wonderfully. If you're looking for an example, I'd point you there.

As for your question, if there's only one detail from his childhood that matters to the story, I can't see an entire chapter being devoted to it. I would say prologue if you can't find a way to work in the details of his dragon fascination in chapter 1, when he's already an adult.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Unless his fascination with dragons kick starts the plot or the scene you have in mind does (a la Reign of Fire -- Our Hero as a boy finds the first dragon. Story is about him fighting them once he's grown) then you could -- maybe should?* -- find a way to get his fascination into the main body of the novel.

* I say maybe because I've read some prologues that really worked for the story. Maybe yours is one, I have no way of knowing

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm going to chime in with the others who have said that unless there is some kind of inciting event that happens when he's a child, something important enough that it gets the plot ball rolling, then it might be better to skip it and start with him as an adult.

There are other ways to briefly and unobtrusively get the fact that he's loved dragons since he was a kid into the story.

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I like the chapter 1 chapter 2 set up. I have the same time situation in my WIP and it just flows better...I feel.

s.cummings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
Thank you everyone for input.

I should have perhaps clarified better - his love/obsession with dragons is a major point to the plot, and does get it moving. On the same hand I may take the advice to try, and work it into the story.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be a major point but, no - it's simply background and isn't what gets the story moving.

What gets the story moving is whatever it is that happens to disturb his idea of 'normal' and sets him on an irreversible course - to solve the 'story question'.

It's a big mistake to think everything has to be 'set up' and then the character 'introduced'.

Get right into where the story starts - let me find some empathy with the character because of what he does and/or how he reacts to the new and problematic situation he is in and then I may be interested in finding out a little more about him.

I don't want to be stopped in the street and told all about the background of a total stranger and then be introduced to him - would you?

Good luck.:Hug2:

Thank you everyone for input.

I should have perhaps clarified better - his love/obsession with dragons is a major point to the plot, and does get it moving. On the same hand I may take the advice to try, and work it into the story.

s.cummings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
medium.com
It may be a major point but, no - it's simply background and isn't what gets the story moving.

What gets the story moving is whatever it is that happens to disturb his idea of 'normal' and sets him on an irreversible course - to solve the 'story question'.

It's a big mistake to think everything has to be 'set up' and then the character 'introduced'.

Get right into where the story starts - let me find some empathy with the character because of what he does and/or how he reacts to the new and problematic situation he is in and then I may be interested in finding out a little more about him.

I don't want to be stopped in the street and told all about the background of a total stranger and then be introduced to him - would you?

Good luck.:Hug2:

You're right.

"The King-", the soldier gulped for air, "the King is dead."

That would be where my story gets going I guess... ha ha.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a case of "it doesn't matter". Write it. You can always change the way the novel opens after it's finished

Status
Not open for further replies.