Queryshark says not to tailor your query to each agent because it isn't worth your time. Thoughts?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
What is the MSWL website?

There are certain days they do ManuScript Wish List.
Here's the Tumblr archive for #MSWL (http://agentandeditorwishlist.tumblr.com/) It's current through February of 2015.

You can also search on Twitter for the hashtag as not everything gets archived right away and sometimes agents/editors will tweet on random days.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Ah, I got it. Acronyms do that to me--I have trouble seeing the words they're derived from in my head.

I've checked some of those out, but the lists of agents posting for SF and F are usually pretty short. One guy says he's looking for something like what I've written (a fantasy story that's more localized in focus and not "epic" in scale), but he's a small-press editor, not an agent.

Alas.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
There are certain days they do ManuScript Wish List.
Here's the Tumblr archive for #MSWL (http://agentandeditorwishlist.tumblr.com/) It's current through February of 2015.

You can also search on Twitter for the hashtag as not everything gets archived right away and sometimes agents/editors will tweet on random days.

Interesting site. They seem to want very niche books. I mean, I saw broad stuff, but it wasn't that much. A couple might fit me when I get to querying, but I don't know how strongly I'd work for them.

Although it does seem a great site for reading recommendations.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, MSWL is mostly for agents/editors to mention things that they are looking for, but may not have seen in their slush piles. It's not an indication that they are only looking for those things. More like "This is my current dream book."

:)

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, MSWL is mostly for agents/editors to mention things that they are looking for, but may not have seen in their slush piles. It's not an indication that they are only looking for those things. More like "This is my current dream book."

:)

Yup, it seems to be that — so something to use in conjunction with Agent Query, Query Tracker or their websites, not by itself. Here's another branch of MSWL — searchable database.

I'd mention it if I had a book that sounded just like the agent's "dream book." But if they just are open to YA and thrillers (for instance) and I have a book that's both, I wouldn't bother noting that in a query. I'd assume they know that's why I queried them.