Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Itsaplane, it's not really about a young protagonist, but it has the depleted earth thing going on. I might give a recommend to Earth's Last Citadel.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some YA historical fiction. At school, we're doing a historical fiction unit and it's gotten me on a bit of a kick.

I've read both Verity and Between Shades of Grey already.

Thanks!

Number the Stars, if you haven't read that. I know it's old, but it's good.

And of course The Book Thief, though I suspect you've read that as well.

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for contemporary YA books that tackle dramatic/heavy subjects like death or disease but have a funny/light voice or tone. An example would be Jesse Andrews's Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Can anyone think of any others?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
For my Nano last year I wrote a draft for a paranormal/mystery book, but I think I'm a bit out of date when it comes to YA mysteries. I used to read Point Horrors and Christopher Pike books that always had an element of mystery. Obviously they're about 20 years old now (God I'm old).

Have you got any good recommendations to read whilst I edit my nano?
Not all of the following books fit the classic mystery rules, but they all have some elements of mystery. Sometimes it translates more into thriller, though, and sometimes they turn paranormal.

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman (more of a psy thriller and heavy on family drama)
The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers (puzzles and mindscrews)
Ten by Gretchen McNeil (an excellent retelling of a brilliant classic mystery novel)
Confessions of a Murder Suspect (this one is pretty traditional as far as mystery goes)
Clarity (paranormal suspense)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for contemporary YA books that tackle dramatic/heavy subjects like death or disease but have a funny/light voice or tone. An example would be Jesse Andrews's Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Can anyone think of any others?

Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story comes to mind. It's been years since I read it but I remember it being really funny, despite being about depression and hospitalization :p

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Cinders and Sapphires by Leila Rasheed, which is one of the Downton Abbey ripoffs I've committed myself to reading. I hope it's better than Wentworth Hall by Abby Graham. I don't really recommend that one.

A few bloggers whose opinions I trust have said good things about Cinders and Sapphires. But I want a Downton rip-off featuring a Thomas-esque character. That I would read in a heartbeat.

Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story comes to mind. It's been years since I read it but I remember it being really funny, despite being about depression and hospitalization :p

This is perfect! Thanks. Reminds me of Suicide Notes by Michael Thoms Ford.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
A few bloggers whose opinions I trust have said good things about Cinders and Sapphires. But I want a Downton rip-off featuring a Thomas-esque character. That I would read in a heartbeat.

That's basically what spurred me to write my Downton Abbey/time travel WIP, SHALL NOT SLEEP :) My adoration for Thomas is all-consuming. It ties in nicely with my Draco Malfoy love.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Are there any recommend memoirs about Charlotte Corday tailored specifically for YA? Or would I just need to find a regular memoir. I guess considering she died at 22, it could be considered New Adult.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Dystopia or Sci-Fi please--but only the books that have the Ontological Mystery element. Basically "the world is not what we thought it was, and we must find out what it really is." One of the typical examples is MC finding out she lives inside an artificial illusion. Obviously it's full of spoilers, so if you don't want to spoil the books for others, just color them white. :) Thanks in advance!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got any recs for contemporary YA that has an international travel aspect to it? Particularly Europe. I've already read Anna and the French Kiss, Wanderlove, Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning, 13 Little Blue Envelopes and its sequel, and I'm reading Just One Day right now. Are there any I'm missing?

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got any recs for contemporary YA that has an international travel aspect to it? Particularly Europe. I've already read Anna and the French Kiss, Wanderlove, Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning, 13 Little Blue Envelopes and its sequel, and I'm reading Just One Day right now. Are there any I'm missing?

I can think of a couple:

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

I tried to read the first two and for various reasons couldn't get into either one, but they seem to have a lot of fans so it was probably just me!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I can think of a couple:

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
Are We There Yet? by David Levithan

I tried to read the first two and for various reasons couldn't get into either one, but they seem to have a lot of fans so it was probably just me!

Ahh, I did read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. I liked it quite a bit, IIRC.

I should check out Meant to Be. And I think I even own Are We There Yet? but have never read it. Thanks!

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone think of YA novels (written in 2000-present, please) set in the 1950s or 1960s? Thanks!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone think of YA novels (written in 2000-present, please) set in the 1950s or 1960s? Thanks!
Just one, but it's probably not what you are looking for. THE IRON THORN is a mix of urban fantasy, horror and dystopia set in a steampunk version of an alternate US in the 1950s. It was published in 2011, so it's pretty recent. But it's very fantastical--not historical at all.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score

Wow, I was coming here to ask for the same thing. Mostly because I'm running away to England in a few weeks.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for really specific YA novel

One of my friends is looking for a book like this, but I don't know of one off the top of my head, since I don't read a lot of contemp YA, especially not romance, so... I am drawing a blank!

Here's what she's looking for: "I am looking for a book in which the main character is a teen-aged boy who gets dumped by his first love, is heartbroken, and then does all the wrong stuff – like quitting sports, not doing homework, failing classes etc. But I am really looking for a happy ending in which he redeems himself by dint of his own work and gets back on track."

Anyone know of anything?:Shrug:

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Just one, but it's probably not what you are looking for. THE IRON THORN is a mix of urban fantasy, horror and dystopia set in a steampunk version of an alternate US in the 1950s. It was published in 2011, so it's pretty recent. But it's very fantastical--not historical at all.

Yes I'd prefer more realistic historical, but I'll look into this, thank you!

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm actually reading that right now, it made me want to find more of that era in YA. It's such a good book, are you reading it too?

Not yet, but it looks intriguing and I have it on my list!

This is marketed as MG and has fantasy elements, but I did enjoy THE APOTHECARY, which had a post-war London setting (and I love the cover).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Are there any particularly hopelessly depressing YA books other than Lord Of The Flies that would be recommended? Ideally third person past tense. Dystopian works, but cyberpunk is preferred.:3

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
What are your favorite contemps from 2012 and 2013 (so far)? If the author is so famous they get to talk to the president, assume I already know about it.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
What are your favorite contemps from 2012 and 2013 (so far)? If the author is so famous they get to talk to the president, assume I already know about it.

2012:
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

So far in 2013:
Just One Day by Gayle Forman

And here are some 2013 contemps that I'm looking forward to, in case you want to look them up and see if they interest you as well:
Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
Just One Year by Gayle Forman
The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding
Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols
Bruised by Sarah Skilton
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney
This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Last edited:

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King. I can't recommend it enough.