The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, folks. Remember that I was stuck on my story last night? Still stuck this morning. But I'm going to wing it and push through. If it sucks, it sucks. That's what rewrites are for, right?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Noodling

Once upon a time in a land far, far away
Twice upon a time in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a sea far, far away
Once upon a time in a land very, very near
Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away
Once upon a time in a forest far, far away
Once upon a time in a desert far, far away
Once upon a dream in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a mind far, far away
Once upon a time in a land outside the window
Once upon a season in a land far, far away
Once upon a tune in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a land not too far away
Once upon a thought in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a land light years away
Once upon a time in a solar system far, far away
Once before time in a land far, far away
Once upon a time on a planet far, far away
Once upon a sunrise in a land far, far away
Once upon a sunset in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a land right here
Once upon a happening in a land far, far away
Once upon a heartbeat in a land far, far away
Once upon a picosecond in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in a land within hailing distance
Once upon a teabreak in a land far, far away
Once upon a time in another country far, far away
Once upon a time in an office far, far away
Once upon a time in a call centre far, far away
Once upon a time in a land within commuting distance
Once upon a chocolate bar in a land far, far away

There's a book (one of Spike Milligan's ones maybe) which does the "Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a land far, far away..." opening, then spends an entire paragraph deconstructing it, first claiming that it wasn't actually all that long ago - and gives a date - then retracts the bit about it being far away. I think it was Chipping in the forties (?) the story actually took place, though it has been years since I read that.

And it isn't quite the Dead Horse Trope that it ought to be, thanks to a few television shows and films which are reigniting the fairy tale / fable storytelling methods.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, folks. Remember that I was stuck on my story last night? Still stuck this morning. But I'm going to wing it and push through. If it sucks, it sucks. That's what rewrites are for, right?

Yes, yes it is!

On that note. Today is full of the suck. Daughter fighting over taking meds wakes daddy up long before he had planned makes for tired, grumpy, adlebrained Stanley. Coffee is not helping. Look like it's going to be a 5 hour energy kind of day.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
It's Friday, so: here.

I know it's probably totally reprehensible, but I totally had a schoolgirl crush on the Hoff back then *and* looking at that, yes, he's cheesy, but he did look good in jeans! :)

As to 'what's up': I have written code! Well, I reused code and wrote a tiny bit of my own. It all works, though, so I put it together right *and* I baked the pie that got the difficult stuff written! So there. Anyway, I feel accomplished, because this is a project I've been trying to finish for about 6 months and now it's not only 'nearly' done, it's ALL THE WAY done. (mostly... I want to do a few tweaks, but they'll only take a few minutes). Hurrah!

Also, we've had the first tests of the first lot of potential equipment for our 400 TB storage array this morning.

Also, also, yesterday I helped run a workshop for people hoping to do Digital Humanities projects and they all seemed to like it and they were very nice afterwards. :D

AND tonight I'm going out to Cau, an Argentinian restaurant, with friends from work, with a visit to the pub first. I *might* even have a rum and diet coke.

It's been a very busy week and I need to take work home with me, but I'm not going to think about that right now. :)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There's a book (one of Spike Milligan's ones maybe) which does the "Once upon a time, long, long ago, in a land far, far away..." opening, then spends an entire paragraph deconstructing it, first claiming that it wasn't actually all that long ago - and gives a date - then retracts the bit about it being far away. I think it was Chipping in the forties (?) the story actually took place, though it has been years since I read that.

And it isn't quite the Dead Horse Trope that it ought to be, thanks to a few television shows and films which are reigniting the fairy tale / fable storytelling methods.

Actually, it has been deconstructed ever since Don Quixote, mocking faraway and ancient exoticism by taking place not too long in a rather unremarkable rural province:

In a village of La Mancha, the name of which I have no desire to call to mind, there lived not long since one of those gentlemen that keep a lance in the lance-rack, an old buckler, a lean hack, and a greyhound for coursing. An olla of rather more beef than mutton, a salad on most nights, scraps on Saturdays, lentils on Fridays and a pigeon or so extra on Sundays, made away with three-quarters of his income.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
So Baby is running a fever. This might keep us from seeing the in laws this weekend. I'm okay with this.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning. My tummy is unhappy. I'm at work because a crisis came up and we need to have something ready to ship on monday.

I'd rather be in bed. I'm not sure if I'm ill or I just ate something I shouldn't have yesterday.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Should it be a worrying sign that I'm writing things without remembering that I did so? Because I opened up Word just now and there was an autosave document in there that I don't remember writing at all.

It's actually not bad. Sure nothing happens yet because it literally only 252 words from the very beginning of a story, but it's the style I apparently chose to write in it that makes it good to me. It's not like a proper novel in the writing, it looks like someone just transcripted what a guy told them in some kind of casual conversation.

I might continue with this...

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, this poarn doesn't write itself.

*pokes at it* :e2poke:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to work on the stuck story, really and honestly I did. But an idea started hatching in my head and wouldn't shut up. Okay, it's not precisely an idea, more a new approach to an old one (it's Mal, Stanley, I know how much you love him). It keeps growing and growing in my head, and, like I said, it wouldn't shut up. So I started writing things down. Don't know if it's going anywhere, but I'm going to get the notes together and see what happens.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up at two in the morning after a bad dream. Couldn't get back to sleep. Played ME3. Took a nap. Still tired. Made scalloped potatoes. Will write story.

:e2yawn: :chores

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

I do have to comment on the male hair issue. My fiance is pretty hairy. Not full Yetti, but maybe a 1/4 blood. My x was nearly hairless--couldn't even grow a beard.
As to which I prefer? Hair. :D so much to grab on to when you need to and has the extra benefit you don't stick together when you get all sweaty.
Also fiance has a very fast growing beard. He'd probably have to shave every day to be baby faced. Heck everything below his nose is covered, even up to his lips! lol

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with hairy dudes, but I don't like unexpectedly hairy dudes :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
10: Poarn Poker.

Watch out, she'll get your poarn.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I have a... IDK what the hell it is, but it is meant to be poarn (I don't really need to warn you, but yeah - most likely not safe for young eyes) on my blog from waaaay back. There's a reason I'm not asked to write it more often.

ION, I may end up strangling someone if the idiots don't stop derailing the days I am meant to be working. So much time wasted on such stupid things.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I have a... IDK what the hell it is, but it is meant to be poarn (I don't really need to warn you, but yeah - most likely not safe for young eyes) on my blog from waaaay back. There's a reason I'm not asked to write it more often.

"or, One Man And His Spaceship"

Not sure if :ROFL: or :chair.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Also fiance has a very fast growing beard. He'd probably have to shave every day to be baby faced. Heck everything below his nose is covered, even up to his lips! lol

Hubby and Baby Boy keep their whiskers trimmed and tidy. They have to. First, it's just unattractive. Second, with a daughter and sister for whom lipreading is an important component of communication, shaggy mustaches are ungood.

She's having trouble now with one of her college professors who sports both a soft voice and a walrus-y lip-covering 'stache.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The writing has taken a very strange turn today. It's a route to plotting that I've never taken before, never even pretended to try before. I don't know if it's going to lead anywhere, if anything is going to come of it. But it's a live wire, and we all live for those live wires. So I'm following it to see where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.