Will agents take on previously published novels by e-pubs, or should I not bother to submit?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Correct. It was pubbed in the wrong genre with a publisher who sold very few copies. A Big 5 will try to sell a minimum of 1,000 on release, so you certainly haven't saturated your market. In the hands of a good publisher, the book will bear little relation to the one previously on the shelf because the publisher will pump up the correct genre in the edit phase.

Aggy B. is correct on the reason not to use the copy edits, or even the structural edits. The publisher (or editor, if freelance) doesn't have to state their rights. Rights to editorial revisions is inherent in the editor under copyright law, provided they actually touched the text--as opposed to writing an editorial letter, where you made (or didn't make) the changes at their direction.

But when re-marketing a manuscript, return to the original so a new publisher can get the clearest sense of what your intent was in the genre you'd planned for it to be. That intent can be stripped in editing to fit a particular house's style or imprint.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand. 100 books is not great sales. That's not a value judgment on the work itself, there's a lot more that goes into selling a book than just a good book, including luck :) . Cathy's point is since your book sold so little no one really knows about it. If you change the title, then people might assume it's a book that's never been published before since so few people read it. And that might allow you to get away with landing an agent with it. I'm not sure if any of this is a good idea, and you certainly will have to explain your publishing history with the book to your agent, but that's what she is trying to say. In a weird way I guess if one is with a small press either one wants either really good sales so that a bigger publisher takes one on when they see dollar signs flash before their eyes, or one wants to sell so few that it's basically a brand new book. I imagine in the low thousands would make it a much harder sell to an agent/publisher. So you might actually have an advantage here.

But I don't know for sure.

Gotcha, re Cathy's post, thanks. That's where my non-native English speaker confusion sometimes comes in. :)

In a weird way it's good the book sold so badly. Not surprising, since it's not a romance and was sold as such! Gotcha it re the title, also. Food for thought, since I'd need to disclose the previous history regardless of changing the name. Thanks.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Correct. It was pubbed in the wrong genre with a publisher who sold very few copies. A Big 5 will try to sell a minimum of 1,000 on release, so you certainly haven't saturated your market. In the hands of a good publisher, the book will bear little relation to the one previously on the shelf because the publisher will pump up the correct genre in the edit phase.

Aggy B. is correct on the reason not to use the copy edits, or even the structural edits. The publisher (or editor, if freelance) doesn't have to state their rights. Rights to editorial revisions is inherent in the editor under copyright law, provided they actually touched the text--as opposed to writing an editorial letter, where you made (or didn't make) the changes at their direction.

But when re-marketing a manuscript, return to the original so a new publisher can get the clearest sense of what your intent was in the genre you'd planned for it to be. That intent can be stripped in editing to fit a particular house's style or imprint.

Bolding mine.

Crikey, I didn't know that re the editor copyright. Understood. Probably for the best, anyway, and I can add my new changes to that original ms. And re the section that I bolded, above, that has given me some hope. Everything I was obliged to do with this book--blurb, tagline, edits--was done to ratchet up the romance when this book is not that genre. So perhaps taking it back to it's original form will give it another chance. I'll come back and report, if it helps others in this situation, once the thing has been resolved! Thanks again for you help.

Living and learning!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Note that a good agent will often insist that her author-clients retain the right to the edited versions of her books, and have that made part of the contract: it doesn't happen all the time, but I've seen it a lot (and have it in several of my contracts). Still, it's safest to assume one doesn't own those rights if one is not sure, and Cathy's comments regarding going back to the original ms because of genre and intent are spot-on here.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen publishers and agents having completely different opinions about whether they will take previously published works.

Rules on this run the gamut, so it's just a matter of reading everyone's submission guidelines, and seeing individual agents' and publishers' rules on the matter.

Last edited:

namejohn

Registered
Reaction score

Since the book is referred as like a women's fictional/adventure, the same story might be able to be written, with the romance left out, and as a women's fictional/adventure. If this could be, the fictional/adventure book is a new book, that never has been published. Also this could be a better area to be writing in then romance. Writers, often, can write much better when writing in one area compared to another.