Need a good way for one character to reveal big news to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've hit a little snag in my novel. I'm 25,000 words in and I need to have one character reveal something big to another character and I'm just not sure how to do it. It has to be slightly cunning and slightly manipulative without coming off as such to the other character. Any suggestions would be helpful! :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some ideas . . .

Have the character leave a note where the other character is sure to find it.

Have the character manipulate another character in to revealing the "secret." Perhaps they have a mutual friend and the person is known to be a gossip or very loyal to the other character--she will be sure to tell the second character.

Have the character "accidentally" send an e-mail to the other character that will pique the second character's interest.

Have the character "let it slip" while the two are sitting around having a beer or glass of wine.

Put the character in a stressful situation (or pretend she has one). People are often more open when they are stressed. Have the character let something slip that opens a dialogue. The character can later pretend she didn't mean it (to make it even more intriguing to the second character).

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks alleycat! My novel is a medieval fantasy so some of those won't work, but I like the sitting around and drinking thing. That could be adapted to a tavern or even around a campfire.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some others . . .

Have the character arrange for the second character to see her (or him) hiding something suspiciously.

Have the character "hide" the secret within another secret. It won't dawn on the second character until later that, say, two and two don't add up. It's got to be . . . insert big surprise.

Have the character hire a young boy to go to the second character with the secret for money. "I'll tell you for a silver coin, my lord . . . "

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
You could have Person A (the revealer) subtly manipulate the conversation so that it looks like Person B brings the subject up. Not knowing your big secret, I can't suggest specifics, but something like this:

They sit around the campfire drinking. Person A looks up at the trees around them and shivers, saying, "The woods have always seemed so threatening. Bears, wolves..."

Person B then says, "Yeah, but the outlaws are the worst."

Person A jumps up. "How did you know my parents were killed by outlaws?"

Or...

Person A: "The city! It's fabulous. I remember a church procession there, where the archbishop's robes were embroidered in real silver! Can you imagine anything more impressive?"

Person B: "That's nothing--have you never seen the royal family? When the Prince came home from the wars, even his saddle blanket was embroidered with jewels."

Person A: "You're mocking me, aren't you? You somehow found out I am the Prince!"

imagoodgurl4

Attack!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guy! I think I figured out a way to make this scene happen! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.