Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When I meet people and it comes out that I'm a writer, I can't tell you how often people say, "Oh, do you write children's books?" or sometimes it's Romance.

Since the answer is crime fiction, I do wonder why the question isn't "What do you write?" if they really wanted to talk about it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Funny- I sometimes am surprised to learn a particular member is one gender when I assumed they were the other. No idea why- I thought you were male. Maybe the 'Jacksen' sound. Sorry. :Hug2:

Ima gonna jump in before this thing gets locked and you'all throw aways the key!

When I got my award from the MWA and I was congratulated by other writers, several of them came forward to shake my husband's hand. Yes. I am a female writer with a husband, but many in the mystery-writing community assumed I was male. Why? Dunno.

Oh! Cuz I write so great, is why. :D

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
A good writer is a good writer. It takes hard work to get there, and has nothing to do with what bits are between the author's legs.

Well... I wouldn't say *nothing*. It's one facet among many that makes each of us unique, and that's a good thing.

But it certainly does *not* define how good we are (or can be).

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Well... I wouldn't say *nothing*. It's one facet among many that makes each of us unique, and that's a good thing.

But it certainly does *not* define how good we are (or can be).

Hair splitter! I have no interest in playing in the straw. Take it to P&CE. :tongue

Yes, everything about a writer can be broken down into the individual. The whole of our lives, learning, and experiences inform our work.
Which doesn't support the "men v women" argument.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read all these posts, but my $.2 - I really don't pay attention to the author.

If I see a title and/or a cover that interests me, I read the blurb and maybe a few pages, and I'm still interested - I buy the book.

Then, once I'm finished, if I really enjoyed it, I may finally pay attention to who the author is to see whether or not he/she has more books out there.

But most of the time, unless I've purposely read an author I have already decided I like, I don't know what gender the author is.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you bring up hair when the conversation is about crotches? BRAIN BLEACH!!!!!!

And thank you, now my mind is officially in the gutter. :roll:

Beautiful mental image.

Does anyone else hear the mods breaking out the padlocks?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Well... I wouldn't say *everything*...

:e2bouncey

"You're killin' me, Smalls."
others-089.gif

Damn those blanket statements.

In general, speaking from my experience, . . .

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
When I meet people and it comes out that I'm a writer, I can't tell you how often people say, "Oh, do you write children's books?" or sometimes it's Romance.

Since the answer is crime fiction, I do wonder why the question isn't "What do you write?" if they really wanted to talk about it.

Yep. Gender specific biases are bizarre. They sometimes ask me if I write action or mystery or stuff like that. Contemporary YA here...with Romantic elements. Like I said WAY up thread...trying on dresses. I mean, we have to fit the stereotypes, right. ARGH!

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yep. Gender specific biases are bizarre. They sometimes ask me if I write action or mystery or stuff like that. Contemporary YA here...with Romantic elements. Like I said WAY up thread...trying on dresses. I mean, we have to fit the stereotypes, right. ARGH!

Kevin, you great, talented manly-girl or girly-man or whatever you are - keep doing you. We love you for it.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
There's a debate going on here in Norway now, about whether men are better fiction writers than women. In an article in a paper over here, one-book author Ole Idar Kvelvane argues that publishing houses should be more restrictive in publishing new female writers, so that more male writers could get a chance to be published. Apparently, Kvelvane has known for a long time that male writers are better than female writers, and he cannot think of one single female writer he has read.

The arguments that are presented in the article itself can be picked apart as easy as Lego, and the writer has mostly succeeded in alienating readers by his immature analysis. But the question remains: Are men better writers than women?

Why does the question remain? I don't think it does. It's a stupid ass question.

Are men better painters than women? Are they better dancers? Are men better flossers than women? Can men write their names in the snow easier? Okay, that last one's ones a yes. The rest of the questions are loaded, patriarchal, misogynistic, subjective bullshit that don't warrant answers.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Kevin, you great, talented manly-girl or girly-man or whatever you are - keep doing you. We love you for it.

lol. And, hey you! Don't go changing! (-:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So, let's take a temporary break until the forum mods get a chance to make a decision. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I vote that we give this zombie thread no more brains to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.