• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
To use titles or not to use titles, that is the question. Whether 'tis better to give the reader a hint of what the chapter is about, or just remind her of the number.

In the draft of my first thriller/suspense novel, I used titles. One agent said, "No titles."

What do you think?

I wish there was an "other" option on this poll.

Genre has a lot to do with it. It's not uncommon for Young Adult to have chapter titles. Also, some epic fantasies have chapter titles too. I like chapter titles, as long as they're good. If they spoil the chapter, then it's no good for me.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
I actually like chapter titles that spoil a little because they don't say how whatever they spoil happens. Sometimes they can be written to be a red herring to, which can be fun :)

rohlo

Registered
Reaction score
I like to use them as I'm writing in order to set up the kind of scene I'm building in the chapter, but I don't know if I'd include them in a manuscript to send out.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
I like them because they can help build anticipation for what's in store. Also, it can make it easier for the reader to remember a certain event in the story if there is something catchy to associate it with, like a good title.

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
This might be weird, but I personally adore chapter titles. It gives me a little taste of whats to come, which in turn gets me more excited to read on.
Then again, it depends on your book and/or genre. I think GuitarShank hit the nail on the head.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Where's the "other" answer?

Argh. I am also of the mind to say "it depends".

I actually like chapter titles that spoil a little because they don't say how whatever they spoil happens. Sometimes they can be written to be a red herring to, which can be fun :)

Agreed Unicorn - these are the types of titles that I often enjoy reading and writing. Messing with the reader's expectations can bring those small joys!

This. I tend to skip/skim chapter titles the first time I read . . . the first time is a swing and a miss with me. I also don't use them because a.) titling the book is bad enough...

I actually find it easier to title the chapters than the dratted book itself, unless I have a brilliant idea for the title from the get-go. Perhaps using chapter titles is my writerly form of procrastination to avoid dealing with the "this title doeth not exist" glaring at me on my cover page.

I've read some intriguing books where the chapter titles actually caught my eye in a good way with lines from the chapter itself, or a literary quote that had me pondering where it was from and what it has to do with the upcoming plot line, but then I don't mind such things. I like little random details like that, as long as they have some relevancy. If it's just in there for the sake of being cute, that's an entirely different story that makes me prune my lips in distaste as I sip at my coffee.

Last edited:

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
I actually title my scenes as I write them. It helps me keep track of everything. I'm undecided if I'll end up titling chapters though.

I like chapter titles if they add intrigue and don't reveal the plot. Just like book titles, it's basically a marketing tool to entice the reader to read on.

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
What a strange poll. I didn't vote because -- at least for me -- it depends. I chose to name the chapters in my novel, but I'm writing a MG series (or possibly YA, but leaning towards MG now), so chapter titles are actually appreciated by many of my potential publishers and readers. However, if I was writing a literary novel, I would not have bothered spending the time to come up with good titles. The same goes for suspense/thriller -- I just don't see myself taking the time to come up with the perfect title for a genre that doesn't really give two craps about having one. But that's coming from someone who does not enjoy coming up with titles.

I like chapter titles if they add intrigue and don't reveal the plot. Just like book titles, it's basically a marketing tool to entice the reader to read on.

Agree with you. Personally, I think that's the mark of a good title.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I voted for no titles, because that's how I tend to do it. But I really don't have a strong opinion. In books with lots of povs, or with multiple first-person povs, using the pov character's name for the chapter or scene heading makes sense. Kid's books seem to do chapter titles more often than adult novels, but some authors seem to like them. The only hard part about chapter titles is when I'm reading an e-book, I find having numbers makes things easier for searching if I need to revisit an earlier chapter for some reason. Some ebooks don't even have tables of contents.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I did not answer the poll because this is not a 'Yes/No' proposition for me. Some books use them and use them well. Some don't. When they are there, I find them interesting in terms of what they may tell me about what's coming up, but I don't feel any particular thrill when I open a book and see it's got titles chapters, nor do I feel any great disappointment when I see it does not.

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
I'm nearly finished with my first draft of a WIP and am thinking of adding chapter titles. The title would only identify the location/setting, e.g. Manila Hong Kong.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use chapter titles in my novel series. Personally, I don't have a preference regarding whether I like them or not. Sometimes I find them to be intriguing, but overall, I just find them to be "meh". They don't add much to a book. A frilly addition I find them to be.

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part, I think they're forgettable - except in MG (and I guess some YA) when I think they really help to keep young readers clear on where they are in the plot & also motivate them to keep reading. But most people probably forget them, so if they take a lot of effort (like they do for me) they might not be worth it.

COUNTER-EXAMPLE :) J.K. Rowling came up with names for, like, hundreds of chapters throughout HP. I only remember one of them. But that ONE? Just hearing someone say "The Prince's Tale" makes me tear up, because it is my favorite chapter in anything, ever. For me - a hundred forgettable chapter titles would be worth it, if included in them is one that matters, and means something to the readers.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Chpt titles are neat :)

More a YA thing from my reading experience, but I'm fine with them for adult titles as well. That said I suspect many readers are NOT fine with them.

"What's with these chpt titles? Am I a child or something?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.