Are men better writers than women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesselja

There's a debate going on here in Norway now, about whether men are better fiction writers than women. In an article in a paper over here, one-book author Ole Idar Kvelvane argues that publishing houses should be more restrictive in publishing new female writers, so that more male writers could get a chance to be published. Apparently, Kvelvane has known for a long time that male writers are better than female writers, and he cannot think of one single female writer he has read.

The arguments that are presented in the article itself can be picked apart as easy as Lego, and the writer has mostly succeeded in alienating readers by his immature analysis. But the question remains: Are men better writers than women?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What brave soul is going to answer that one with a 'Yes' or 'No'?

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Are you really asking us to answer this question? Does it actually need an answer? If you're aware that Kvelvane's arguments are specious and immature, why raise his question here? I'd much rather discuss how Kvelvane's about to get ripped a new one.

...Oh, very well.

No, the ability to write excellently is not sex-linked. Neither men nor women are universally better at writing fiction. Next question?

Reaction score
Ayn Rand and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings are my favorite female authors. I'm a fool for whatever they wrote. So "yes" females are every bit as good as men.

On the otherhand the topics of female writers usually dont appeal to me. Real Moronians dont do romances or Rachel Ray.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, if the guy never reads books by women, how does he know men are better? Ridiculous.

Lifelongdagger

Registered
Reaction score
Lighten up, people . . . come on.

Just giving this subject any sort of serious debate gives it far more credence than it can ever deserve.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I was going to use Ayn Rand as an extreme (probably the most extreme possible) case against female writers.

But it's a silly argument, anyway. If I had to choose, I'd be tempted to side with the women. It can't be that simple though.

Robert Toy

Mayor of Moronia said:
Ayn Rand and Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings are my favorite female authors. I'm a fool for whatever they wrote. So "yes" females are every bit as good as men.

On the otherhand the topics of female writers usually dont appeal to me. Real Moronians dont do romances or Rachel Ray.
Isn't Moronia near Hudson and Bayonet Point?

Sesselja

I would (of course) argue that writing has nothing to do with gender, but when I look at my bookshelf, the majority of the books are written by men. Most of the writers I admire, are men. The writers that most often get recommended or mentioned here in AW seem to be men (King, Grisham, Hemmingway, Carver, Leonard, Bradbury). Why?

I never set intended to read mostly men, yet I seem to do so. Is it just coincidence? Do men cover different topics than women? Write differently? Have better publicists? Get less prejudice? Recieve more attention?

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Q: Are men better writers than women?
A: No.

The question assumes an either/or proposition, which calls for a gratuitous conclusion, which is absurd on its face. Thus the question is no good.

The art of Finding Things Out is in asking the right questions.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's some merit to this question, actually. I heard/read somewhere that men are generally better at reading maps than women. If it's true that men's brains are wired differently than women's brains, then maybe men are better at writing some kinds of things than women....generally speaking.

It also depends upon how granular you want to get. I would have to think women are better at writing about experiencing menstruation & childbirth (in general) and men are better at writing (in general) about how they feel when experiencing male-patterned-baldness.

I think being good at something, though, boils down to passion. If that's the case, I think I know more women who are passionate about writing then I do men. Could be my perception, though. Men may be less open to sharing their passions.

Wow, this is getting deep.

Sesselja

Summonere said:
The question assumes an either/or proposition, which calls for a gratuitous conclusion, which is absurd on its face. Thus the question is no good.

The art of Finding Things Out is in asking the right questions.

Very true. And I had another question in mind when I started the thread, and then somehow I got it all tangled up by the time I reached the end of the post. To use Pooh's words: "You sometimes find that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out in the open and has other people looking at it."

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Sesselja said:
I never set intended to read mostly men, yet I seem to do so. Is it just coincidence? Do men cover different topics than women? Write differently? Have better publicists? Get less prejudice? Recieve more attention?
All I can safely conclude is this: The set of authors represented by your bookshelf overlaps closely the set of authors that best match your particular tastes. To try to make any claims about writing quality based on your reading preferences is to mistake your opinion for objective fact.

(This has been excerpted from page 37 from Niki's book, How To Apply Your "people mistaking their own preferences for Universal Truth" Pet Peeve To Every Possible Discussion On AW. Forthcoming, Feb 2007, Doubleday. ;) )

rwam said:
I think there's some merit to this question, actually. I heard/read somewhere that men are generally better at reading maps than women. If it's true that men's brains are wired differently than women's brains, then maybe men are better at writing some kinds of things than women....generally speaking.
Yes, even if it's true, what does one plan to do with this information?

"Men are better than women at writing. Therefore..."

Therefore Kvelkane wants to perform preliminary publishing triage based on the presence of a Y chromosome. Bad!

Therefore readers who believe this to be true perform purchasing triage based on the presence of a Y chromosome. Bad!

Therefore writing teachers who believe this to be true will encourage male writers and discourage female writers. Bad!

Therefore a woman who might have pursued a career in fiction will, once convinced that men are better fiction writers than women--or at least convinced that publishers, editors, and agents are convinced of it--subsume her aspirations into something else, like journalism or copy-editing or teaching. Really bad!

Even if "men are better fiction writers than women" were true, I can't think of a single good use to put that fact to. I can only see it being used as a bludgeon to beat on women's heads with. And that's just plain bad.

So, with that in mind, what possible merit is there to this question? Seriously?

merper

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's pretty obvious, men and women , ON AVERAGE, write about different things, but then comparing two genres and saying one is better doesn't make much sense.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rwam said:
I heard/read somewhere that men are generally better at reading maps than women.

You're assuming a man will pick up and read a map? I thought men never got lost?

And how does this guy know he's never read a female writer's work? Has he heard the term Pen Name before?

I would like to kick this man in the 'nads. What's his address?

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
What merit does this question have? I think any question that causes people to think and inspires meaningful & civil dialogue provides a great opportunity for learning and growth. Especially when I'm bored stiff here at work.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Midnight: Are you wanting to kick my nads? Or the person that once said men read maps better than women?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rwam said:
Midnight: Are you wanting to kick my nads? Or the person that once said men read maps better than women?

Considering any person who feels women can't possibly write well probably doesn't have 'nads, tis a moot point.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
men/women

Such a silly question. Of course men are better writers than women. Men are better at everything than women. We're even more humble than women. Women should be barefoot, in the kitchen, and prepetually pregnant. And they should only speak when spoken to, and then should lower their eyes and speak softly. They should also , of course, walk three steps behind a man when in public.

(Note. None of this applies to my wife, who is smarter than any man, does everything better than any man, and is an angel come to earth.)

Status
Not open for further replies.