Are men better writers than women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sesselja said:
Fair enough. What about the other part of the question: "The writers that most often get recommended or mentioned here in AW seem to be men (King, Grisham, Hemmingway, Carver, Leonard, Bradbury). Why?"

Probably because you just listed some of the most popular writers of all time, with men and women. And, dadgumit, why do so many insist on spelling Hemingway's name wrong?

No matter how good women writers are, men writers are also excellent. There are several women writers I read on a regular basis, but I do tend to read much more fiction written by men. It isn't because of quality, but because of the type of fiction they write. And, frankly, I empathise with a male protagonist easier than with a female protagonist, especially in any sort of adventure fiction.

This doens't stop me from reading women writers ranging from Jane Austen, to Joyce Carol Oates, to Agatha Christie, to Tanith Lee, to Janet Evanovich, but it does mean I read considerbly more male than female writers, simply because I enjoy adventure fiction, and I like being able to place myself in the shoes of the protagonist.

I suspect this is also largely why so many women, and so few men, read romance novels.

I think part of the problem may also be the size of the romance genre. It's so large, and lucrative, it needs a lot of writers to fill all the slots, so many women writers who could easily compete with King, Grisham, or Leonard, etc., are writing romance novels.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Kind of related to this question, but I sometimes wonder if being good looking helps you get published and gain readers. Apparently, some readers will pick up a book and read it because the picture of the author is really attractive. I think this actually affects the success of some female writers!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OMG. I have to get out of this room before my head explodes. Holy Christ in a wooden bucket of slop. MY GOD!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
In the spirit of Mr. Ritchie's post, I read mostly female writers. I don't read romance, but I somehow gravitate to female writers, whether the protagonist is female or male. Pearl S. Buck, Amy Tan, Margaret Atwood, Lori Lansens, Sue Monk Kidd, Barbara Kingsolver all seem to have more to offer me than most male writers. Although I thoroughly enjoy many male writers. Memoirs of a Geisha is a terrifically engaging novel.

I also read more Canadian fiction than American. Does that mean Canadians are better writers than American, or does it just mean I enjoy Canadian fiction more?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
Kind of related to this question, but I sometimes wonder if being good looking helps you get published and gain readers. Apparently, some readers will pick up a book and read it because the picture of the author is really attractive. I think this actually affects the success of some female writers!
Oy vey. There's something wrong with the world if there's any truth to that whatsoever.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't come back for a peek - you won't like it!

KTC said:
OMG. I have to get out of this room before my head explodes. Holy Christ in a wooden bucket of slop. MY GOD!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
CaroGirl said:
I also read more Canadian fiction than American. Does that mean Canadians are better writers than American, or does it just mean I enjoy Canadian fiction more?

Oh please. Most assuredly! (-;

I'm reading one of my favs. right this minute. Miriam Toews!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
CaroGirl said:
Oy vey. There's something wrong with the world if there's any truth to that whatsoever.

Thank you! Jesus God, Thank you!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am a man and I tend to read more fiction written by men. Not being sexist here, just my reading habit. However, one of my all-time favorite author is Toni Morrison. And Harper Lee's novel is a classic. I loved Agatha Chistie. I also read JK Rowling, Sue Monk Kidd, and Jane Austen.

Of course, I read them because they were/are all babes. :eyeroll:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Drat! I missed this whole fun thread!

If you had asked me the question "are men better writers than women?" back when I was a mysoginistic teenage boy, I would have answered emphatically, YES!

Then when you would have pointed out that one of my favorite authors at the time, Andre Norton, was in fact a woman I would have said, "Doh!"

Today, however, many of my favorite authors are women.

Now, ask me if men make the best rock music. :tongue

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I wonder if an androgynous hermaphadite cross-dressing epileptic would be a better writer than a plumber?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
James, excellent post. I wonder why men tend to relate to male protagonists more readily than female protags, yet it seems women can relate to either. I know I can. Some of my fave books have male protags.

ETA sheesh you people...I was reading james post, got interupted and when I finally finished and responded, a whole mess of other posts were here....

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
I'm reading one of my favs. right this minute. Miriam Toews!
A Complicated Kindness, by any chance? I really enjoyed that one, although it was a little bleak and sad. Wonderful narration, though.

Hey, I thought you were leaving before your head exploded. Grey matter on the screen is most unattractive.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
well

James, excellent post. I wonder why men tend to relate to male protagonists more readily than female protags, yet it seems women can relate to either. I know I can. Some of my fave books have male protags.

Well, its kind of like how someone with a college level understanding of math can still understand arithmetic, but someone that only understands arithmetic cant get calculus. Being that women are the mentally more advanced and sophisticated gender, we can still relate to the simple minded male characters, which are like an immature version of ourselves, but men just get confused when they try to identify with women.

Just kidding fellas. I love you big dumb lugs.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
In the spirit of Mr. Ritchie's post, I read mostly female writers. I don't read romance, but I somehow gravitate to female writers, whether the protagonist is female or male. Pearl S. Buck, Amy Tan, Margaret Atwood, Lori Lansens, Sue Monk Kidd, Barbara Kingsolver all seem to have more to offer me than most male writers. Although I thoroughly enjoy many male writers. Memoirs of a Geisha is a terrifically engaging novel.

There are people in Canada who can write? Guess I shouldn't take William Shatner as representative of the whole country.

Sesselja

I've been making pizza the last half hour and so not followed the discussion, but I've been pondering it. I've actually felt quit sick when thinking about it. What amazes me is not the responses here, but the question. Yes, I know it was my question!

When I read the article in the Norwegian paper I just laughed it off, so why on earth did I bring it in here? And why on earth do I alomost defend the notion that men are better writers than women when I don't even believe it? I am confused, and I feel very much like Winnie the Pooh at the moment:

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."

I had an original question different from what I asked in the first post, but it got lost when I stared at the article, trying to translate the nonsense the best I could. The original question, although dealing with gender and writing, had less to do with which gender writes best, and more to do with how male and female writers are welcomed by readers and critics. Joanna Rowling was told to use intials so her audience (boys) would not avoid her books, and 99 men and only 8 women have won the Nobel prize in literature. There is something to be debated in there.

And now, I am of to finish the pizza.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
Well, its kind of like how someone with a college level understanding of math can still understand arithmetic, but someone that only understands arithmetic cant get calculus. Being that women are the mentally more advanced and sophisticated gender, we can still relate to the simple minded male characters, which are like an immature version of ourselves, but men just get confused when they try to identify with women.

Just kidding fellas. I love you big dumb lugs.

Oh, yeah! well, I'd have a great comeback, but I can't think of anythng smart to say. But we are to not dumber than women.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it's better if you use Lorne Greene as your Candian compass :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
There are people in Canada who can write? Guess I shouldn't take William Shatner as representative of the whole country.
<gasp> <gag> <choke>

:Wha:

Status
Not open for further replies.