A Life of Crime and Chocolate

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
The one and only benifit to having a child with cancer (or any life threatning disease for that matter) is you have time to plan a funeral. As soon as your child is diagnosed your mind begins to run through songs, colours, cremation or burrial, flowers, the type of casket you would like your child to have.

We lived with Alison and Jas at Ronald McDonald Hourse for 9 months together while Blake was having treatment. I loved Jas as my own daughter. I had a soft spot for her, and she will forever have a place in my heart to call her own.

Her face is burned into my retinas and everytime I close my eyes I see her beautiful face and hear her voice. I hear conversations we had playing out over and over again in my head. I hope and prey I never forget the sound of her voice. I hear her telling me all about her littlest pet shop animals, or her pet rats and snakes. Or her newest fish. She carried stuffed animals with her where ever she went, they all had names and she'd give them back stories about their lives before they came to live with her in their forever home. I hadnt seen her in a few months, but I always asked for her when I spoke to Al. It's only been a day but I miss her. I dont want it to be real.

The funeral is on Wednesday.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I hope and prey I never forget the sound of her voice.

French, I lost a friend quite suddenly to brain cancer back in 2007. (I can't believe it's been so long.) I still hear her talking to me. When I'm having a rough day, I can close my eyes and imagine what she would say to me. I have never considered myself spiritual - but she is with me, every day. It is not enough; but it helps.

You will not forget.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
French, I can empathize a bit with what you feel. My youngest (born last March) has a congenital heart defect, so she spent the first few days in the NICU. After surgery, she spent several days in the PICU until she was released. I live very close to the hospital, so I didn't use the Ronald McDonald house. But I spent a lot of time in the Ronald McDonald lounge, meeting other parents and talking about our kids. Bonding at two in the morning while sucking down coffee and watching Spongebob.

Words can't express how sorry I am.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so, so sorry to hear about your friend, French. :Hug2:

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
(((((French)))))

Today was the last Friday I will work! YeeeHA!

And... I am away for a while . . . .

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
On Monday, I am going to Belgium for five days.

I hear Belgium is a lovely place. I hope it's for fun!

Today was the last Friday I will work! YeeeHA!

And... I am away for a while . . . .

:snoopy: I hope you're away for fun, too!

Hope you both have a great time.:partyguy: I'm away next Friday, off to find some sunshine (I hope.:D)

::packs self in muse's bag:: Oh wait. I already live in the Sun Belt! ::unpacks self::

Course it's dang cold here right now. ::shiver::

Two more rejections this weekend. Friends, I see a pattern and I Do Not Like! :tongue

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
((hugs)) HJ on the Rs. Really hope a positive response is on its way to you soon!

I have a friend who's just moved to Belgium - he'd been there for six months whilst his partner worked for the Scottish Parliament there on some eco thing with Brussels, and they loved it so much that they've gone back permanently. He was kind of the kick in the rear that got me to go to Prague actually, because I saw all the pictures he sent back and was so jealous! Enjoy!

I'm off back to Prague next week for a few days to see some friends and I'm going to use it as a kind of writing retreat. Haven't got anything done these last few days, stupid RL getting in the way. Things have been really weird here but in a good way since I came to the decision to move at the end of the year. Feels kind of like there's a bit of hope in the future for the first time in a while. I've spent far too much time though looking at houses in Canada, but they are so cute and I can't wait to get a house, ie not a flat surrounded by miserable, ignorant and selfish neighbours.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well, drat, HJ. I know it only means they were not a good match for you anyway...but it can't be any fun. You will find the right one soon, I am certain.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ladies. :) I'm beginning to think this book just isn't the one. It's a traditional suspense/maybe romantic suspense. There's nothing super different or standoutish about it. I'd love to sub it to the Christian market, but there's one (essential) plot point that disqualifies it, I believe. So... yeah. I don't know.

Silver, what are you studying?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:'s for FM and HJ!

HJ, those were stoopid agents! Smarter ones on back order! Keep going. You know how many times Harry Potter was rejected, don't you?

Oh, and by the way folks. A couple of months ago you asked about that short story that was accepted for publication. Up until today I had still not heard anything and was getting a little uptight - (kinda like a Mexican bog beetle at high noon) so last Friday I sent the editor an email and asked what had happened to that and the second story I sent in. I got an email this morning, apologizing for the delay in payment and stating that both stories have already been published.

And I missed them! Really. How dumb is that? Every week, for the past several months, I've been buying a copy to check if my story is in it. Occasionally the store would be sold out and I'd make a mental note to buy one at another store - and then would promptly forget. So the two editions I missed buying turn out to be the two editions that have my stories in them. :gaah

So. Do you think I should buy lottery tickets - or forever desist from buying lottery tickets?

:roll:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:D Desist. Definitely desist. Congratulations on the being published! :hooray:

AND... Happy birthday! :Cake: :partyguy:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
::packs self in muse's bag:: Oh wait. I already live in the Sun Belt! ::unpacks self::

Course it's dang cold here right now. ::shiver::

Bet it's not as cold as it is here. *Double Shiver*
Two more rejections this weekend. Friends, I see a pattern and I Do Not Like! :tongue

Hugs on the rejections, HJ.:Hug2:

And I missed them! Really. How dumb is that? Every week, for the past several months, I've been buying a copy to check if my story is in it. Occasionally the store would be sold out and I'd make a mental note to buy one at another store - and then would promptly forget. So the two editions I missed buying turn out to be the two editions that have my stories in them. :gaah

I thought things like that only happened to me.:D

Will you be able to get the back issues, Gail?

So. Do you think I should buy lottery tickets - or forever desist from buying lottery tickets?

:idea: Maybe you'd win on the days you didn't check the numbers?