A Life of Crime and Chocolate

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for counters, if they help!

I will say, though, that when I first wrote my beta, I was VERY rigid about how long I wanted my chapters to be. If a chapter was too long, there had to be a really good reason. Chapters that were too short...I padded. Sometimes a lot. And it showed.

For my WIP, I'm just not dealing with chapters at all. I do section breaks, and I'll probably label them with days (or spans of days). These may turn into chapters when I get to the point of editing; but I needed to get away from chapter-length goals in order to keep going.

Thats a good idea. Takes expectation and limitations out of the equasion.

-----

A really good friend of mine, whose son was having treatment with Blake and was our Neighbour for a year at Ronald McDonald House got not so fantastic news today.
Her son (7 y/o) has relasped from a rare muscle cancer.

Originally he had 20% survival chance - which was 10% lower than Blake's original chance. I'm absolutelly devastated for her and her family. Sometimes I wish I could bury my head in the sand and forget about all the destruction that cancer has played in mine and my friends lives.
She is going home for a week (which is 8 hours away from the hospital) before coming back to talk treatment plans and options.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Cancer Sucks!

----

On a brighter note Blake has been nominated for my state's Lion's Children of Courage Award. We're all very proud and pleased. He has faced so much in his small live and has come so far.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Something will happen, it may not be something big, it probably won't be something big every time. But something will happen/be accomplished.

Seems to me that's exactly the right approach. If a chapter doesn't move the story along, it probably needs to go. (One of my favorite chapters did nothing for my story. It made me sad to delete it...but the book is better without it.)

TA really good friend of mine, whose son was having treatment with Blake and was our Neighbour for a year at Ronald McDonald House got not so fantastic news today.
Her son (7 y/o) has relasped from a rare muscle cancer.

:Hug2: Oh, French, I'm so sorry to hear this. Here's hoping your friend's son bucks the odds.

With you on this one.

On a brighter note Blake has been nominated for my state's Lion's Children of Courage Award. We're all very proud and pleased. He has faced so much in his small live and has come so far.

You have a lovely strong boy there.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg

Quoting for truth. My dad died from pancreatic cancer twenty years ago. It amazes me how the prognosis for this hasn't improved very much in two decades.

French - I'm so sorry for your friends and their son.

lizmonster - I just used section breaks for my MS, because the chapter lengths were so varied. Weird thing was, after revising it this last time, I went back and added chapter breaks and they were all about the same length this time.

My youngest turns one tomorrow. Turns out my husband ordered a half sheet cake for the occasion. There will be six of us here. That includes the baby. So anyone in the central Pennsylvania area who's craving red velvet cake, let me know. We should have plenty.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, I ordered some books for my birthday. (I know; I know; I just really enjoy reading. Haha.) So, that made me happy. They'll probably take some time to get here though. So, sad face on that. But at least I'll have time to read the other books and work on stuff. :D

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, another chapter down; I have another to do. I might try to get some other things done tonight. But I have to see. It's kind of late. I have at least go over the chapter though. Ugh.

On the other thing, in relation to my WIP, I might have to really try to write anywhere from 500 to 1000 words or close enough. Hopefully, that will reduce me getting stuck or things like that; plus, I'm also kind of busy right now so, yeah. That'll help out. On the other, I do feel bad, only slightly, because I feel like that's such a low productivity but what works for one author doesn't work for every author I suppose. So, yeah. Plus, that takes some pressure off to produce a higher word count in a certain time period(whether that's day to day or not); as long as I'm writing, right?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: all. What a week Mama had! :e2thud: Today's my first day off in I don't know how long.

French, I'm very sorry about your friend. :(

Silver, take the pressure off and just enjoy writing!

Tarak, happy birthday to your little one!

Liz, are you done yet? How about now? :D

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:HJ.

:hooray:You've more than earned it. Hope you get to put your feet up, read a good book, eat chocolate... in that order. :D

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ladies. :) I went to the Farmer's Market and got a new camera (woo-hoo!) and I'm ready for a nap. :D

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
French - :Hug2:'s - for your friend, for you, and for Blake. He sounds like an amazing little boy.

HJ - enjoy the rest day. May you have many more.:D

I had a wonderful time on holiday, did absolutely nothing, and enjoyed every minute of it. I do feel rather guilty though. I didn't do a lick of writing while I was gone.:Shrug:

Speaking of which, how is everyone's writing going today?

Mr Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
French - :Hug2:'s - for your friend, for you, and for Blake. He sounds like an amazing little boy.

I had a wonderful time on holiday, did absolutely nothing, and enjoyed every minute of it. I do feel rather guilty though. I didn't do a lick of writing while I was gone.:Shrug:

Welcome back. My writing is going well, Muse, 10 pages in two days.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
My beautiful boy Blake is celebrating his 6th birthday today. Once upon a time I I didnt think he would make it this far. Yet, here he is, loving every minute of it.
Thank you all for all your love and well wishes to my little Aussie battler.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

:hooray: You're back! :hooray: I'm so glad it was wonderful. :)

My beautiful boy Blake is celebrating his 6th birthday today. Once upon a time I I didnt think he would make it this far. Yet, here he is, loving every minute of it.

:partyguy: Happy birthday Blake! :Cake: I'm so, so glad he's doing well. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Happy birthday, Blake! Much health and happiness to you, your mama, your brother, and all your loved ones!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday Blake!

Been away for a while. I was in Madrid for a weekend, and heading off to Australia next week for a few days. Ever felt like you slipped out of your own life for a moment and you're stuck in someone else's? Things have been so strange.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Does anyone here use Scrivener? Like the Windows version?

I use it on the Mac, so I don't know if that's helpful; but I love it. It's got a LOT of features, and it's worth going through the tutorial - but even if you just use the basics, it's a very nice tool. (I love how easy it is to export ebooks; but I'm an ebook junkie. :D)

There's a 30-day free trial; I'd say give it a shot.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Australia? Neat!

Strange good or strange bad? I'm rooting for good!

I don't actually know, to be honest. Good things are happening, like the travelling, and the possible move at the end of the year, but at the same time I'm a little lost right now, not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing or what's in the future. I used to have loads of plans and stuff I wanted to do, dreams I suppose that I would aim for. Now I find it really hard to think about those sort of things as I just think 'that's not going to happen, everything goes wrong so why wouldn't that?' And someone I was getting quite close to, starting to become really good friends with, was in Madrid and has just suddenly started treating me like a stranger and acting really weird too. Just seems like all the things I was sure of aren't so certain any more.

I dunno :Shrug:

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I use it on the Mac, so I don't know if that's helpful; but I love it. It's got a LOT of features, and it's worth going through the tutorial - but even if you just use the basics, it's a very nice tool. (I love how easy it is to export ebooks; but I'm an ebook junkie. :D)

There's a 30-day free trial; I'd say give it a shot.

Oh no, I already have it and use. But for PC. I was trying to figure out how to change the background color of the page/screen you write on. Thankfully, someone over in the SF/F board was able to help me.

It was like Tools ---> Options ----> Appearance ---> Editor -----> Page I think that's what they said. Or at least something close to that.

:D

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
At present I am teaching Food Technology. Today I went through some work with the pupils - I am not allowed to mark it as it is for an exam. One pupil handed me their folder and as I read his work I got the giggles. The pupil looked at me and I pointed to a particular place in the work. Pupil got the giggles and went away to re-write the piece, which as far as I can recall read:

"I am going to make individual poisons of all my products. Individual poisons will take less time than family ones and will also fit my design brief."

Now, wouldn't that make a good start to a murder mystery?