NaNoWriMo 2013 has started!

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
2K written today...and the story is floundering like Dory. :( Gawd I hate Nano. *cry*

*hugs*

This is the first year I've taken it seriously - I've outlined and everything... and it's still all 'cry/smile/flail/panic'.

Good job it's nearly over, right? (WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S ONLY DAY TWO?!?!)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
2500 words and I'm thinking I want another POV character. As in, additionally, not instead of. Some good, self-deprecating snark to balance out the purple word-curlicues of my first one.

Oh yes. There are purple word-curlicues in my NaNo this year. (heee! This is fun.)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs*

This is the first year I've taken it seriously - I've outlined and everything... and it's still all 'cry/smile/flail/panic'.

Good job it's nearly over, right? (WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S ONLY DAY TWO?!?!)

Thankyew. :D

I've tried it three times before and last year was the only time I've ever won...so I came in this time thinking it might be easier since, yanno, I've actually done it once before. But newwwwp. Day two and it's already laughing at my synopsis and wiping the floor with my face.

DEAR GOD IT WILL NEVER END.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 3413 words and feeling pretty good about it, even though for some reason my widget at Nano and my widget here don't agree about the word count. I'm still doing something wrong widget-wise...

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'll have a pile of garbage by the end of NaNo. I'm barely paying attention to anything but typos.

Gena_Skyler

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to pretend the back space key does not exist. Still happens sometimes though. I'm feeling pretty tired, right now. It's only 6 p.m. my time, but I'm just about ready for bed. Ideally I'd like to get another 2K in before I crater, though.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I have to tweak my second chapter already. The changes will have a huge impact on the pacing for the rest of the book. *sigh* Perks of starting without a plan...

I get the last laugh though. Me has plan now!! *muh-ha-ha*

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm really happy with my progress so far. I am on pace to reach my personal goal. I'm not going to go crazy like I did last year and push for days that amount to more than I can actually do. No burnout for me.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Year before last, I came up 500 words short on my first ever novel. That was sad. But, I did end up with a story. That was happy.

I'm off to a slow start with no real plan, just a thin sketch of an idea that begs for more research than I plan on giving to it. I'm just going to "wing it" and see how it flies.

Day two and I only have about 450 words. :(

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
2K written today...and the story is floundering like Dory. :( Gawd I hate Nano. *cry*

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming . . . and 50K and December 1 will be here before you know it!

I've tried it three times before and last year was the only time I've ever won...so I came in this time thinking it might be easier since, yanno, I've actually done it once before. But newwwwp.

You know, I think sometimes the stars need to align for me to succeed at NaNo. I'm currently letting one project sit before I give it another pass, so I'm at a spot where I can cruise on something new. The previous three or so years I tried NaNo, the timing wasn't right because I had other projects that weren't in the "new words" stage that needed to be attended to. Perhaps that's why you're struggling now? Is it taking time away from something else you should be working on?

And Macallister isn't going to replace all of our avatars with "NaNo LOSER! *big L sign*" if we don't make it to 50K. If it were April Fools Day, okay, maybe she would. But that's months off :)

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Ending at 6775. Got some extras in while my desktop settings were screwed up and ran a bunch of long scans before I figured out what was wrong on my own :tongue

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ending day 2 with 10,710 words, but I am ALL OVER THE PLACE with the story. It's a continuation of my story from last year's NaNo, so there's quite a bit to fill in before I can make sense of any of it...

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Need to write 2500 words tomorrow to be on track.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 4,231 words by the end of day two. This year is much easier than last, since I'm writing the sequel to the book I've been editing since last Nano. The characters are already fleshed out and I have a general idea of what needs to happen in the beginning, middle, and end.

Although, there are a few things that I have to change in the first book. Little things like Charlene's mother is apparently allergic to animals and the wording of the goodbye scene between Renee and Brayden in book one. I'm hoping by the end of the year, I will finally be able to fix all the plot holes in book one and get it ready for publication.

As a habitual procrastinator, I thrive on deadlines. Without Nano, I don't think I'd have finished the first draft of any book.

Last edited:

SportsScribe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Slow day due to work and other unexpected issues. Still on pace for 50k-plus though.

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
I'm a full day ahead already! =D

To all of those out there that think you're just writing crap, or you're having trouble writing at all, just remember that this is a bare bones skeleton of what your story is going to be. Just write it, don't go back and fix it, just get it out. Later when editing you'll add all the muscles and tendons and skin to your story.

For those of you that are having trouble writing at all, just write. Force yourself to, not matter how crappy you think it is. Even if all you get at the end of the month is one little paragraph that's worth saving, it's better than nothing.

Stephen King writes every single day, and ends up throwing away most of it, just for practice. Don't be scared, just write!

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
It's the start of day three here, (1:43 am), and I'm a 12,016 words.

I hit that word count before midnight, but my internet was down. So now the site thinks I wrote about 830 words today.

I'm five days ahead, and I feel guilty that I haven't written anything on what is now day three. I feel like it's all a lie! I swear this is my brain during November: :e2tongue:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1.5K written as of 11:11 am on Sunday. Why am I writing on a Sunday?? Oh, that's right, because of the evil entity known as Nanofuckingwrimo.

*grumble*

*goes back to bed*

And what is up with all of yew over-achievers with over 10K done?? Whatever you guys are on, I want me some of that!!

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
And what is up with all of yew over-achievers with over 10K done?? Whatever you guys are on, I want me some of that!!

I was trying to reach 10K in one day. Plus, I don't have a day job.

In other news, my freaking 'M' key on the laptop just broke off. :rant:

Now I have to wait until the hubby gets up to find another keyboard that will work with the laptop.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
3300 words now. Considering I don't have my own computer right now, I'm pretty happy about that. And still scribbling furiously in my notebook. I gave myself a hand-cramp yesterday. Not full-on Writer's Cramp, but close.