The God thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
Reph what did you expect? You attacked my faith. You attacked something you can't know anything about. I would never have made that accusation against anyone on this board including another Christian. Yet you, who have claimed that you're not a Christian, are going to tell me what my faith is like? Evaluation? You seriously think that's what you did? I guess I can't expect you to understand though. But that's it.

Perhaps that will help to understand, even a wee bit, what it's like to have to deal with people who believe their way is the only way, and everyone else is lost/unsaved/doomed to hell, etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...what does [G]od mean to me...

I'm willing to accept there's a preternatural force responsible for physical existence. I'm disinclined to personify that force. This allows me to believe that I can have some (un)conscious impact on my [immediate environment] since I am, by definition, part of this force. We make our own luck, as it were.

Since my family was of decidedly mixed religious backgrounds, we attended a Unitarian church and all was right with the world.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Kewl, I killed a God thread! :D

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*polishes +20 Sword of Heroic Smiting*
icon1.gif
sword.gif

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Cao, you've just insured that even if you never say anything intelligent again--highly difficult even to imagine--there's still always a place for you here.

Would you like a "Security" tee shirt? I can arrange that.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was God once. I didn't like the amount of committment involved with the job. I kept forgetting to keep everybody in line. It was chaos. Sincerely.

Deleted member 42

Puddle Jumper said:
Reph what did you expect? You attacked my faith. You attacked something you can't know anything about. I would never have made that accusation against anyone on this board including another Christian. Yet you, who have claimed that you're not a Christian, are going to tell me what my faith is like? Evaluation? You seriously think that's what you did? I guess I can't expect you to understand though. But that's it.

. . . which leads one to contemplate the turning of cheeks, and beams in one's eyes and all manner of things.

If that's an attack, well, I certainly hope you have no plans to attend seminary.

Last edited by a moderator:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes. It's the eyes...isn't it! I once played Morticia Adamms on TV. And I even played the Burning Man, once. Man...that was hot! But, I guess, when I think about it...being God was my biggest gig yet. Just too much responsibility man!

Puddle Jumper

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. (1 John 1:8-10)

I would not have known what sin was except through the law. (Rom. 7:7)

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away."(Matt. 24:35)

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Heb. 4:12-13)

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Cor. 5:17)

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Rev. 21:3-4)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:28-29)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Cao, you've just insured that even if you never say anything intelligent again--highly difficult even to imagine--there's still always a place for you here.

Would you like a "Security" tee shirt? I can arrange that.
Moi? Actual power?

*cue megalomaniac montage*

Alas, as truly flattered as I am, I must decline. I'd be much too tempted to edit posts with no paragraph breaks. Or too many. Or huge fonts. Or....

*resumes fantasies of molding AW in my image*

Deleted member 42

Puddle Jumper said:
[ . . .​

Where I come from, we call that proselytizing, and it's offensive.

In the extreme.

People, please remember that Puddle Jumper speaks only for Puddle Jumper, and not for Christians everywhere or anywhere else.​

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Medievalist said:

In the extreme.

People, please remember that Puddle Jumper speaks only for Puddle Jumper, and not for Christians everywhere or anywhere else.
Key phrase, IMO, is in bold, which I did.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Medievalist said:

In the extreme.

People, please remember that Puddle Jumper speaks only for Puddle Jumper, and not for Christians everywhere or anywhere else.
You seem rather extreme in your jumping to conclusions and assuming motives. Rather absurd actually. Does scripture offend you so much that you feel the need to belittle me by coming up with all these assumed motives for why I'm posting scripture? Your post comes across as fearful.

But I'll do what I can to calm these fears you seem to have.

I do not speak for all Christians, nor have I ever said that, nor have I ever thought that. That would be extremely absurd. While I tend to agree most often with things Pat says, what she says does not reflect me, nor does what I say reflect her. Though what either of us says does leave an impression on people's perceptions of Christians just as what any one Democrat says leaves an impression on people's perceptions of Democrats, same for any group of people. Christians certainly are not isolated. But with most groups of people, especially Christians, I find it uncommonly rare for someone to think so highly of themself as to think when they speak they speak for all who belong to the same group as they do. Maybe if the world was full of mindless people.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
A good start is to see you in a bikini first. Helps to know the healing powers of our lord through the strings that bind us. (josh 12:23)

Deleted member 42

Puddle Jumper said:
Does scripture offend you so much that you feel the need to belittle me by coming up with all these assumed motives for why I'm posting scripture?

Scripture doesn't offend me; idiocy does.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Puddle Jumper said:
You seem rather extreme in your jumping to conclusions and assuming motives. Rather absurd actually. Does scripture offend you so much that you feel the need to belittle me by coming up with all these assumed motives for why I'm posting scripture? Your post comes across as fearful.

I do not speak for all Christians, nor have I ever said that, nor have I ever thought that. That would be extremely absurd. While I tend to agree most often with things Pat says, what she says does not reflect me, nor does what I say reflect her. Though what either of us says does leave an impression on people's perceptions of Christians just as what any one Democrat says leaves an impression on people's perceptions of Democrats, same for any group of people. Christians certainly are not isolated. But with most groups of people, especially Christians, I find it uncommonly rare for someone to think so highly of themself as to think when they speak they speak for all who belong to the same group as they do. Maybe if the world was full of mindless people.
This isn't about Pat, it's about you. Keep it about you, Puddle. You're the one who's being extreme, no one else. You've told everyone that if they don't believe as you do, they're gonna toast in hell. No room for error. You're preaching extreme Christianity and showing no tolerance for other beliefs. You've ripped any/all other beliefs or non-beliefs. Extreme in judgement. When called on it, you quote the bible, in lieu of discussion.

What are you afraid of? Please don't respond w/ verse.

fallenangelwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see anything wrong with PuddleJumper's post. it looked ot me as though he was defending his earleir assertion that all people are sinners and doomed to hell, save for the grace of the lord.

that seems like a reasonable assertion and a defensible position, if one believes in sin.

Puddle Jumper

Jean Marie said:
You're the one who's being extreme, no one else. You've told everyone that if they don't believe as you do, they're gonna toast in hell.
No one else on the board has been able to direct quote me providing a link to the post where I did such a thing. If you're going to make such a strong accusation, why don't you post a link to where I said it? Seriously, I want to read where I supposedly said such a thing.

Jean Marie said:
No room for error. You're preaching extreme Christianity and showing no tolerance for other beliefs.
Please explain how you've reached the conclusion that I'm "showing no tolerance for other beliefs." I would very much like to know.

Jean Marie said:
You've ripped any/all other beliefs or non-beliefs.
Which beliefs exactly and please post links to where I ripped those beliefs or non-beliefs.

Jean Marie said:
Extreme in judgement.
You really don't want my response to that.

Jean Marie said:
When called on it, you quote the bible, in lieu of discussion.
Oh my. A few posts today where I chose to quote scripture and all this?

Do you really want to know why I chose to post some verses from the Bible today? I wanted to see what people's responses and reactions would be to God's word. That's it. That's the only reason.

Jean Marie said:
What are you afraid of? Please don't respond w/ verse.
What am I afraid of? I'm afraid of people I love never coming to the Lord. That's what I'm afraid of.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PJ, I love Scripture, but it saddens me to see the way you're using it, here, and on the Bible thread. Please refrain.

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Puddle Jumper said...
While I don't agree with other religions, I do believe

I'm not as savvy w/ the linking as you, however, now that Pat is here, she can help me out a bit. Thanks ahead of time, Pat
smile.gif
There's one of your quotes, PJ, that I copied/pasted. It would take a while to find all the others. Yes, there are that many.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
As I'm in CT, it's after midnight here. No, it's not an excuse, but, it would take a considerable amount of time to look up all the posts you've made and copy/paste them.

Suffice it to say, I'm not the only one on this forum who feels this way.

And, I'm not the only one you give negative rep points to when you disagree w/ us/me. Yes, that's known as well. And, it's not very nice, either. Nor is it appreciated. If you don't agree, leave it alone. Okay.

You cannot have it your way on this subject. You just can't.

Not only does it show a complete lack of tolerance for your fellow man if they do not follow your belief(s). It shows a lack of maturity as well. This is a writer's forum where an exchange of ideas takes place. In short, writers from all over the world post here. Do you realize how illogical it is to expect only individuals of 1 faith to show up here? How about how boring that would be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.