A Life of Crime and Chocolate

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Meh! Courage? Maybe she just lacks the skill and talent to be a successful write and knows it!

Honestly? I think she just doesn't want to put the work into it, but rather than actually saying that, she'd rather lord over me how much better she'd be if she bothered.

(Wow, that was...kinda snarky of me.)

I've had too many glasses of sherry/wine and am going to bed!

...I'm sorry, I don't understand your use of "too many" in this context. :e2drunk:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Liz. Just tell her, "Well I can tell by what you're saying, it would be a little bit more than you can handle."
She'll say, "No it's not."
You'll say, "Well than do it and show me."
She'll say, "I'm a perfectionist blah blah blah."
You say, "Right. Which is why I said, it's more than you can handle. Perfectionists can't write books because they can't get past the first sentence."

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I love History's response!

Guys, I got another rejection. :e2bummed: Do not like. Send chocolate and Raylan Givens.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I just had to Google Mr Givens to find out what the fuss was about. The first link was about the hat. I understand now.

Liz - with due respect to your friend, she's talking out of her arse. I'm a massive perfectionist - I may have played the song I'm currently writing a couple of thousand times trying to get it just so - and there's nothing like starting writing to get that thinking stuff done. She's just making excuses 'cos she can't be bothered with all the work of being a writer.

You, on the other hand, actually knuckled down and did something. If it makes her happy to be all superior-like because she has a great idea, that's fine. But you know that you actually wrote something - you started out on a journey and you finished it. Publication isn't the end point of that journey. Finishing the damn book is. You got there, and you turned right around and did it again. That's what I call being a writer.

This has been a presentation of Rant-spirational Talks Ltd.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. :Hug2:

I just had to Google Mr Givens to find out what the fuss was about. The first link was about the hat. I

Heh. :) Have you seen the show Justified? Based on a Leonard Elmore short, this is some of the best writing and snappiest dialog I've ever seen. Love this show so much.

Plus Timothy Olyphant never hurts...

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love History's response!

Guys, I got another rejection. :e2bummed: Do not like. Send chocolate and Raylan Givens.

Chocolates coming your way, HJ. As for Raylan Givens...(Had to look him up too, and now that I have I'm gonna keep him for myself.:evil And since I received a rejection today, I may just keep him a while.:tongue )

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You, on the other hand, actually knuckled down and did something. If it makes her happy to be all superior-like because she has a great idea, that's fine. But you know that you actually wrote something - you started out on a journey and you finished it. Publication isn't the end point of that journey. Finishing the damn book is. You got there, and you turned right around and did it again. That's what I call being a writer.

This has been a presentation of Rant-spirational Talks Ltd.

This is possibly the nicest thing anyone has said to me in weeks. I am going to bronze this post and keep it in my desk drawer so I can look at it whenever I need it. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Well, got more homework done yesterday. Yay.

Plus I got some writing done too. Double yay. Side note, I went back to using Scrivener and yWriter. I don't know. I just feel that I'm more likely to finish something if I write it(or try to write it) in there. That's probably wrong. Given that my "finishing WIPs" rate is really low but that's just still how I feel. And I do actually like both programs.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I just feel that I'm more likely to finish something if I write it(or try to write it) in there. That's probably wrong.

I definitely have tools that work for me, and that make writing...not easier, but somehow easier to do (which makes no actual sense!).

I write new stuff on my iPad (with the virtual keypad, which makes me a lunatic, I know) using Pages. I separate documents by chapter, and import them into Scrivener. When I do research, I take notes in Scrivener. When I edit existing stuff - Scrivener again. But new bits? Always the iPad.

It's an incredibly convoluted system, but it works for me. The creative process is not always logical. If it feels right to you, it's right.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My god, I think this WIP is turning me into a sadist.

Had a great idea last night that involved the terrorist cell my MC is trying to take down taking her hostage and essentially torturing her. This also helps her and her partner to grow closer together - he will come to her rescue and everything - but I'm starting to feel a little guilty about it all.

This is normal right? To feel so sorry for your poor character, who I already almost killed in the first chapter, but end up putting them in dangerous situations like this?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This is normal right? To feel so sorry for your poor character, who I already almost killed in the first chapter, but end up putting them in dangerous situations like this?

While producing the second draft of my beta, I decided to torture my heroine. (The plot really needed it; the whole third act was hearts and flowers. :e2zzz:)

She took it pretty well, all things considered. She's a tougher cookie than I thought. But when I read over that part of my WIP, I find myself wincing (and really, I could have made it a LOT worse).

In the sequel, she has a huge falling out with pretty much everyone she knows. That's just emotional stuff, but I feel pretty awful about that, too.

It's probably not at all normal...but me, too. :hi:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
603909_428005127279782_1882103571_n_zps13dba60e.jpg

The world lost a beautiful girl today. Jasmine was just 13 years old and had been battling cancer for nearly 4 years.

She had a spirit that shone through the tears and the pain, a drive and a passion for life. A love of animals, all creatures great and small, from frogs and snakes, to rats, to horses and dogs. But her favourite was the Wolf.

She could light up a room, simply by walking in. She could put a smile on the sadest of faces. She could make you hope when you felt like all was lost.

Life can be so cruel. She was but a child with so much to do, so many dreams yet to be realised.

3 months before she was diagnosed she witnessed her own father's death, right in front of her, then she was facing hor own mortality. It doesnt get much cruler than that.

My dear friend, Alison, has lost a husband and her only child within the space of 4 years.

Nobody said life was going to be easy, but did it really have to be this hard?