You know you're Australian when...

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha oh dear. How ironic that the premier said many people don't know where SA is, then Tassie is completely forgotten!

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
As a Tasmanian I can tell you it's not the first time that has happened and it won't be the last.

That article was very funny, thanks for the link!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for tourist activities in Sydney? I'm heading up there for a few days in April and I'd love some ideas. :)

Hmm. I've only been to Sydney once, and that was for about 4 hours, just to get on a boat to go on a cruise. (And I was 12.)

So I can't speak from experience, but things I've heard are popular are obviously seeing the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

Oh, and I recall sis went to Sydney for a few days last year, and her and her boyfriend climbed the Harbour Bridge. Basically you get a harness and walk on a bit of a steep incline and go up steps and stuff (basically ladders, from what I gather) until you get near the top. It's meant to have great views, plenty of exercise, a thrill-seeker element, but I'm not sure how much it costs.

So that might be something to look into if you don't mind heights. I'd never do it - don't like heights - but sis loved it.

I don't really know much else about Sydney... Except to stay away from Funnel Web Spiders. :tongue

Now, if it were Melbourne, I'd recommend museums, music gigs and cafes. (I've not been there either, but have heard a touch more about it, and is somewhere I want to go.)

What about architecture? Do you like old buildings? Wasn't Sydney one of the first Australian cities?

See a football game?

Okay, I'm all out of ideas.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I just remembered: Sis went on a haunted house type tour in Sydney. Not sure where, I could probably ask her if you want, but it was sort of an old dungeon/prison type atmosphere (though I think it may have actually been an old house?) and she got a few photos that she swore had ghosts in them. Apparently the tour guide was quite entertaining, too.

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Oh wow, thanks for all the ideas Cliff Face!

My only Sydney experience is also a brief childhood memory; my primary school took us on a camp to the Paralympics in 2000 (I'm a Melbournian :) ). However, we spent all our time attending the Games and didn't get to explore Sydney itself.

I'm seriously considering the bridge climb, having enjoyed quite a few adventure activities in NZ last November. I was thinking of Taronga Zoo as well, except I visited Melbourne Zoo a couple of weeks ago and now I think I'm all zoo-ed out… :D

The haunted house tour sounds like fun; I'd quite like to try some quirky things beyond the obvious Bondi, opera house, bridge etc.

Thanks again for your help; I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
My sister took her fam to sydney last year. They did the bridge climb with my 12 yo nephew - He still raves about it.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Just watching the news. Hoping everyone in Brisbane city stays safe.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm in heaven.

I'm in hte midst of a thunderstorm at the moment, and it's absolutelly beautiful. It's so cool, and the thunder sounds amazing. I've missed storms.

Welcome home Autumn!

SkyeOhWhy

hopelessly devoted to crumpets
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyemelki-wegner.com
Haha, yep. We just had a record heatwave in Melbourne (nine consecutive days in the 30s) and this cool change is very, very welcome. :) Mind you, in a couple of weeks I'll probably be cursing autumn and wishing for a bit of sunshine...

ETA:
My sister took her fam to sydney last year. They did the bridge climb with my 12 yo nephew - He still raves about it.
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely keeping the bridge climb in mind. :)

fredXgeorge

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yep. We just had a record heatwave in Melbourne (nine consecutive days in the 30s) and this cool change is very, very welcome. :) Mind you, in a couple of weeks I'll probably be cursing autumn and wishing for a bit of sunshine...

ETA:

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely keeping the bridge climb in mind. :)
Been awful, hasn't it? I much prefer having a few hot days then cooling down for a few days. But yesterday I actually put a jumper on. It was magical :D

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Been awful, hasn't it? I much prefer having a few hot days then cooling down for a few days. But yesterday I actually put a jumper on. It was magical :D

So did I! Itr was great. My household has been on hte brink of becoming a nudist colony for so many months and now to wear clothes again feels awesome.

Here in WA we had the hottest summer on record. Thank goodness for A/C.

I cant wait for it to get nice and chilly so I can break out the blankets and hot chocolate and veg out on the couch with a stack of good books. Really is nothing quite like it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we had about 8 or 9 days in the mid-high 30s, then went down to 24 yesterday. I was still wearing a T-shirt and shorts, because I LOVE the cold weather.

I considered wearing long pants today, as it started out cool again, but then it warmed up before I headed off to Uni. Glad I wore shorts - it was rather warm again.

fredXgeorge

Registered
Reaction score
Autumn's my favourite season. Love all the colours and it's generally good temperatures. Plus I can legitimately wear maroon again, yay!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pre-Spring here and lovely - but I'm leaving in ten days. My agent just emailed me with
you're coming home to a dazzling autumn.
Keep it like that for me, ok? Because it's hard enough to say goodbye to France... :cry:

Last edited:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, Autumn is lovely.
The smell of fresh rain after it hasnt rained in months is seriously the best smell on hte face of the planet.

Autumn and spring are my favourites

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm being very good about catching up with Aussie news, so I don't come over all ignorant and un-Austrayan when I return. Loved this Max Easton article on the drugs-in-football crisis
The seed for the shit-fight was planted in 2011 when a Cronulla player asked his team-mates, unprompted, what the word ‘equine’ meant. This is a fair question, because if someone gave me a vial of goo emblazoned with a ‘For Equine Use Only’ sticker, I would also want to know if I was an equine or not before I took it.
:ROFL:

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
It's been ages since I've been at the Water Cooler but I found a few threads I had commented in in Google and realised I missed it ;) So here I am! And yep, I'm an Aussie. I'm also a Brit (was born there). I wouldn't say I'm particularly proud to be Aussie compared with any other country but I know I'm lucky to live here. Despite how much I hate summer (thank gosh it's almost over!!!) and resent the stupidly high cost of living here in Western Australia (yep, I live in this massive state too :D).

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Summer's already over where I am, I think... Well, yesterday it was 34C, but today it was in the 20s and WINDY and raining periodically.

I just can't win with Adelaide weather. I hate the long Summer and heat, but then as soon as it's cooler, it's windy and raining. Ack!

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Technically the begining of March is the begining of Autumn. But temp wise, I think Summer is well and truley over, we still get the odd day in the low to mid 30s but the majority of the tems seem to be in the 20s now. And the best bit - The nights are getting cooler.

Hate being hot at night, the worst part about summer I think. In winter you can always put another jumper or balnket on, in summer you cant be any more naked than naked.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if we were like Dr. Zoidberg we could be more naked. :tongue

*recalls scene where he sheds his clothes, followed by shedding his shell*

But we're not alien lobsters, so... Yeah. Summer nights suck. (And yes, beginning of March is end of Summer. But in Adelaide we usually have about 5 months of Summer weather. ;))